Building a 1/72 Hawker Tornado

Reaction score
I have been fortunate to come across the very old (and I am sure rare) Maintrack conversions for the Vulture and Centaurus power Hawker Tornado.

These conversions are designed for the old Airfix Typhoon mold due to the butt fit of the wing. But I am sure you can use newer Typhoon kits.

I compared the Vultured power Tornado (P5224) fuselage to both the Brengun Typhoon 1a, the Academy Typhoon 1b and Tempest V.
The Tornado fuselage is listed as 32' 10"
The Typhoon fuselage is listed as 31' 11.5

The comparison photos show the extra length is forward of the wing.
Adding 2' for the spinner, I measure the Maintrack conversion as 34'. The two Typhoons are very close to 32'.

Tornado-13.jpg

As for building a Vulture Tornado (fuselage length not withstanding) from the Brengun or Academy kit, you need to add a small air scoop on top of the cowling and the chin radiator is slightly smaller. The Tempest V chin radiator appears to be a same size. You will fill in or remove the existing exhaust stacks and use four Hurricane stacks. Photos appears to show the earlier exhaust designs

Since my builds will be WHIFs which will include a Contra-rotating propeller (R7936), I will not get too hung up on the fuselage length or the chin radiator.

I have not yet looked into the Centaurus conversion.

Hope this helps

References:
Propeller Twilight by Tony Buttler

Attachments

• Tornado-09.jpg
    Tornado-09.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Tornado-14.jpg
    Tornado-14.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • Tornado-13.jpg
    Tornado-13.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Tornado-11.jpg
    Tornado-11.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Tornado-12.jpg
    Tornado-12.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Tornado-07.jpg
    Tornado-07.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Tornado-10.jpg
    Tornado-10.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here is an addendum.

I was avoiding/delaying my house work this morning by staring at my stash.

I saw my KP Tempest F.6 kit and I recalled that it come with 2 different engines and 3 cowlings.

It has the following options:
1. F.6
2. Mk.V
3. MK.II Centaurus

A quick check shows that the F.6 cowling would provide the larger radiator also is longer to match the Vulture installation.

Subject to a complete dry fit test, it could potentially be used to replicate the Vulture installation of the Tornado on the Brengun Typhoon 1a.

Attachments

• IMG-3234.jpg
    IMG-3234.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG-3236.jpg
    IMG-3236.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG-3237.jpg
    IMG-3237.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17