Boeing P-8A Poseidon (737-800EFV) MMA (Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft)

Once upon a time there was a formal requirement for an EP-3 replacement, called EP-X. Boeing was clearly the front-runner with a 737 derivative similar to the P-8, but Airbus and Embraer both had proposals. EP-X got "cancelled" back in 2011, but it looks like it essentially got done via the backdoor with aircraft modifications rather than new builds.
I mean, if the P-8 has the spare weight and power to haul the ELINT package you might as well stick one or two converted EP-8s into each squadron.

There is a bit of JSTAR there also ;)
I thought the JSTAR radar was too close to the ground under a 737, and was having issues with reflections off the engines?

I thought the JSTAR radar was too close to the ground under a 737, and was having issues with reflections off the engines?

I think he’s referring to the large belly AESA radar seen on some P-3s and P-8s. It is apparently a ground surveillance radar with several relevant modes. I think it used to be labeled “littoral surveillance radar” or something like that.

Would that also mean that the RAF P-8s will also be getting this upgrade as well?
From what I can find it's definitely increment 3 but nothing about blocks. RAAF is being upgraded to block 2. So on the basis that the UK hasn't received them yet, I'd hedge on saying that it will likely be block 2 at this stage.

The RAF needs to spend big time on defence we should upgrade the P-8s to the block 2 standard to keep up with the rest of the countries that have the P-8s. But that is down to the UK MOD and the RAF ultimately.

The RAF needs to spend big time on defence we should upgrade the P-8s to the block 2 standard to keep up with the rest of the countries that have the P-8s. But that is down to the UK MOD and the RAF ultimately.
Hopefully they have learned from their Sentry and Sentinel stupidity. But I doubt that.

Chris

The single greatest threat to HMArmed Forces is HMTreasury.
That was always the case, but this lot appear to be particularly dense. I attended an RAFHS seminar last week. I never thought I'd ever hear retired (and I must emphasise retired) senior forces offices slag off a Tory government.

I'll get me coat.

Chris

Especially when it has nothing to do with the Government, it is after all HM Treasury that pull the strings.