Barrie Hygate Drawings

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I received from the late Barrie Hygate a copy of his CAD drawing folder when we were working on the P.1121 book containing hundreds of drawings in various stages of completeness. When I did my P.1121 book the process of converting to a usable drawing was slow and complex. Now, using Affinity Designer 2.0, its pretty fast. So, here's a drawing from Barrie's collection of the Armstong Whitworth AW.52.

Interested in more?

A.W.52 Sheet 1.png

Attachments

• A.W.52 Sheet 1.pdf
    166.9 KB · Views: 56
Interested in more? Most defiantly, working through the British Experimental Jet Aircraft book drawings would be a good place to start!

Colin

Maybe some of our experts on the AW.52 can comment if this is good. It's not a subject I know.

Beautiful drawings, Barrie's work really deserves to be republished, the previous British Experimental Jet Aircraft volume being long out of print (1990)
The two AW.52 prototypes had slightly different intake shapes (I'd guess covered in sheet 2 ?)

Last edited:
I received from the late Barrie Hygate a copy of his CAD drawing folder when we were working on the P.1121 book containing hundreds of drawings in various stages of completeness. When I did my P.1121 book the process of converting to a usable drawing was slow and complex. Now, using Affinity Designer 2.0, its pretty fast. So, here's a drawing from Barrie's collection of the Armstong Whitworth AW.52.

Interested in more?

View attachment 689246
Thanks! I remember buying the book "British Experimental Jet Aircraft" at a Museum in Great Britain in '91 because the drawings were so damn good and covered types not seen in the U.S.

Don't stop! Mark

Maybe some of our experts on the AW.52 can comment if this is good. It's not a subject I know.
No expert but I do notice quite a few differences in detail between this and the drawings produced by Chris Sandham-Bailey to accompany Tony Buttlers article in Aeroplane April 2013. Do any original AW GA drawings exist? I know of some for the 52G and some internal equipment layouts for the 52 but nothing else.
Can't say I'm a fan of Barrie's use of heavy lines for the panelling, rivet lines etc.

Regarding the accuracy of the drawings I attach a paragraph from the introduction of Mr Hygates book "British Experimental Jet Aircraft"

One of the problems of drawing research aircraft is that they can often vary considerably over their lives, picking a point in time to illustrate them can be difficult.

Attachments

• Drawing quote.jpeg
    Drawing quote.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 71
Regarding the accuracy of the drawings I attach a paragraph from the introduction of Mr Hygates book "British Experimental Jet Aircraft"

One of the problems of drawing research aircraft is that they can often vary considerably over their lives, picking a point in time to illustrate them can be difficult.
This is indeed true, but the differences go beyond those kind of tweaks. I have a partial drawing with detailed dimensions, found on Facebook somewhere, that appears to bean AW original which would indicate that Barrie is indeed accurate.

edit: also on the forum here https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/armstrong-whitworth-aw-52-flying-wing.6174/#post-51194

Can't say I'm a fan of Barrie's use of heavy lines for the panelling, rivet lines etc.

Line widths are adjustable, and often don't import correctly from the CAD originals, so its a judgement call on me as the converter.

For some of Barrie's drawings in my P.1121 book I removed the rivets and panelling detail, especially where the drawing was reproduced at a small size, as it got very cluttered.

I would love to have these scans. I avoided scanning from the book, because I didn't want to break the binding. Plus you don't get the distortion from the binding with these. Whatever you scan is much appreciated.

I would love to have these scans. I avoided scanning from the book, because I didn't want to break the binding. Plus you don't get the distortion from the binding with these. Whatever you scan is much appreciated.

This . . .

cheers,
Robin.

No expert but I do notice quite a few differences in detail between this and the drawings produced by Chris Sandham-Bailey to accompany Tony Buttlers article in Aeroplane April 2013.
I've noticed occasional errors on Chris Sandham-Bailey's Database drawings for Aeroplane (usually minor slips, things like features being missed from top views that are on the side view etc.) and occasionally I wonder how accurate some of them are in terms of smaller details. I'm not saying that they aren't good, but I suspect that Barrie put in a lot of effort into his drawings as a labour of love rather than to meet a publishing schedule. And to be fair the Database sometimes includes esoteric types where good source materials might be lacking (the next one being the Blackburn Kangaroo for example).

Connecting the dots with another thread on this forum with musings on how AI can or will replace creative occupations such as visual artists, is anyone aware of software aimed at (re)creating technical drawings from photographs?

Managed to get hold of Barrie's excellent book from Amazon for a really low price, I can definitely recommend the book but having images of the plans without the folds would be a great boon for modeling.

That thought did cross my mind (I'm too much of perfectionist).

How did I miss this thread? Oh man... What a boon to modellers to have this sort of resource.