Argentine TAM tank replacement programs

Phantom Fanatic

the ATF program was truly great
Reaction score
Hello all
I was looking around Secret Projects this morning and I realized that there is no thread dedicated to discussion of Argentine efforts to replace the TAM. I see one short post on the “South American Tanks” thread about the TAP, any additional information about this project would be appreciated.

I hope this thread gets so traffic soon. I’ll probably look around the internet for some pictures or links to post.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a logical next step in the design. The TAP concept seems to have been a lengthened TAM chassis (7 road wheels per side instead of 6) mated with a 120mm armed leopard 2 style turret.

Here is a pic of the TAP I found on Tank Encyclopedia. I found a few more I’ll post later.

View attachment 707060
The extended TAP platform ended up as the 40 tonne VCA-155mm SPG, of which only 19 units were completed. My guess is that a TAP with a 120mm turret and additional armor would have been a bit heavier than the VCA-155 but still less than a Leopard II. A bit of a miniature Merkava and not unusual for the era as both Sweden and Switzerland were planning front engine, moderate weight MBTs a few years later. I’m sure the Argentine Junta had grandiose plans, none of which were economically sustainable.