Interesting Boeing job posting for NV

quellish

I don’t read The Drive. The Drive reads me.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm. I wonder what this could be.
https://jobs.boeing.com/JobSeeker/JobView?reqcode=10-1003747

Model 119 ?

220 civil commercial designation of Model 119 (*model number out of sequence)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2839.0/highlight,boeing+model+119.html

???

quellish said:
Hmmm. I wonder what this could be.
https://jobs.boeing.com/JobSeeker/JobView?reqcode=10-1003747

Jeez, under responsibilities why don't they just put "all of the above". ;)

Notice there is a lot of reference to wingtip tanks. My question is, are these tip tanks, as we think of in terms of the T-33, or do they mean the wing tanks in the wingtips? Also, we know it's a two seat aircraft and has a drag chute and uses experimental/developmental propulsion systems. For some reason, I keep thinking of the discussion that has been going on in the Isinglass thread with all of the MCDD, now Boeing PW, hypersonic designs. Either that or they've re-opened the F-4 production line. ;) The phantom Phantom!

I almost wonder if by Model 119 they mean F-119? That would fit in with the whole secret designator system. OMG, Testors was right, they were just off by one 1! ;) ;D

All kidding aside, maybe it's an F/A-XX demonstrator?

Sundog said:

Not likely. More likely it's more than one aircraft type.

quellish said:
Sundog said:

Not likely. More likely it's more than one aircraft type.

Yeah, I considered that. When they said pilot and radar officer, I was actually thinking F-15E. But when they got into the experimental side, well, that's what led me to believe it was a demonstrator involved. It's the drogue chute that got me really thinking.

I wonder whether the job description is simply generic for military test flight line maintenance.

LowObservable said:
I wonder whether the job description is simply generic for military test flight line maintenance.

Yep, the job classification details make that clear:
Job Type Hourly
Experience Level Entry
Exemption Status Nonexempt
Union Yes

If it's a "normal" job, what then is the Boeing Model 119? Which aircraft manufactured by Boeing use a drag chute in the current US inventory?

Or is this a hire for flight testing of the Silent Eagle the F-15SE doesn't have folding wings, to the best of my knowledge. So what is the Boeing model 119?

Seriously guys, did you even read it?
Inspect the construction and modification of experimental aircraft. Perform activities prior to flight status and final inspection and daily maintenance of completed experimental aircraft or major modification to experimental aircraft; performing operational checkout of systems prior to preflight inspection; inspecting the mating of major experimental aircraft assemblies; inspecting plumbing and electrical mockups; inspecting experimental tooling; inspecting experimental aircraft power plants during engine run-up while installed in the stand.

That doesn't read "normal" to me. Also, since the job is based in Vegas, it seems to me it will be out of Groom Lake. If it was just "normal" flight testing it would be out of Edwards. The only aircraft development work I know of out of Nellis is for tactics/training development and weapons testing.

OK, it's either new, an FA-XX Demonstrator, an aircraft with wings that fold to fit in a cargo plane, or a "new" Super Hornet, unless you guys know of another two seat Boeing aircraft with a drag chute and folding wings; especially operating out of the Vegas area.

Direct the aircraft in, chock the aircraft, putting up the boarding ladders, install essential safeties and unlock and fold wings.

So, I ask again, what is the Boeing Model 119, if this is all just "normal?"

To clarify, yes, the job reads as a simply generic for military test flight line maintenance. However, what I think Quellish was trying to point out, or at least I am now, is it's what he/she will be performing maintenance on, that isn't normal. I would also like to add that the job is for the Phantom Works, which is Boeing's Skunk Works and the classification specs shown lower in the requirements demonstrate this isn't for normal maintenance duties. That is not a normal job.

Just throwing this in - The X-45C had its test flight put back because Boeing Phantom works had to take the exhaust system out of its flight demo aircraft to be instaled in an as yet still T/S experimental airframe used in...

Availability of the stealthy exhaust system is what prompted a slight delay to the taxi tests, which were to occur in the spring. The exhaust system was needed elsewhere for a classified Defense Dept. test effort, Davis said. “That test overran its period of performance slightly and so we rewickered some things,” Davis said. “The test we were doing was not related to anything related to Long-Range Strike. It was a technology test for reliability, maintainability, durability kinds of things.”

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/asd/2010/03/02/01.xml

So there certainly is some thing 'out there' at the Phantom works right now..

Thank you Quellish for the correction. My apologise Gents all round. Memory? who'd trust it huh?

I would be surprised if there would NOT be multiple UAV / UCAV prototypes by at least Boeing, Lockheed and Norgrum flying around. Nevermind others, especially foreign companies who could co-operate with them since they might need good weather and a big secretive range.

Ian33 said:
Just throwing this in - The X-45C had its test flight put back because Boeing Phantom works had to take the exhaust system out of its flight demo aircraft to be instaled in an as yet still T/S experimental airframe.

So there certainly is some thing 'out there' at the Phantom works right now..

Not quite - the Ray's exhaust system was in ground testing, not in another airframe.

Thanks Quellish - Sorry about that.

Mixed and matched two sources in my brain and the result was :-\

Boeing Phantom Works president Darryl Davis, who says that an unnamed “classified program” will delay X-45C testing, by laying claim to special stealthy exhaust systems for the drone’s F404-GE-102D non-afterburning jet engine.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Ride-on-the-Ray-Boeings-X-45-UCAVs-05421/

Any way, great job description for one lucky person.