CAMS 140 Pre-Project ?

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Found in Aero France, June 1956, a small, actually very small photo of a model,
depicting a project designed by Maurice Hurel. Obviously a flying boat, three engined
and already showing the braced wing with great span, that became the trademark of
most post-war Hurel-Dubois designs. Only other information in the caption was, that this
project is mor or less unknown ... ::)
Anybody, who has found more informations since this mag was published, more than 50 years ago ?

Attachments

• Hurel-design.JPG
    Hurel-design.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hi Jemiba. I have the same photo than your's, from an old
"Le fana de l'aviation"
Maurice Hurel was working at "Cams" and after
"Cams-Potez" before the war
The photo is libelled
"Model of the "Cams 140" : four engines, two central
push pull....Nothing more!
Bye

Jemiba's illustration shows clearly an other design....

Hi lark.
Perhaps "Le Fana de l'aviation" is wrong in his study
"Les hydravions Cams"
May be

Toura ,

Can you give me the issue nr. or month and year of
your 'Fana' ?

Thanks.

Hi Lark
It is during 1991 for some month.
The tittle of this photo is (in French)
"Maquette du CAMS 140. 4 moteurs, (2 centraux
en tandem) d'ou deriva le CAMS 141
I'm now waiting an answer, I don't understand
With my thanks. Bye

Well, maybe it's an alternative design the later CAMS 140 flying boat ?
As I understand the description, the layout could have been like this :

Attachments

• layout.GIF
    layout.GIF
    24.4 KB · Views: 147
The same model illustration as the one shown by Jemiba
was published in 'Le Fana de L'Aviation' no.222 - May 1988.

Issue found thanks to the searchwork of my fellow townsman 'Swallow'

The caption reads as follow:
-Model of the CAMS 140 from which stemmed the 141.
(two central engines in tandem)-

The design was first initated by Maurice Hurel in 1933
for a 'quadrimoteur d' exploration' Type 140.
with 2 engines placed in tandem and 3 tailfins/rudders.
A 'W' shaped wing was chosen to allow the use of shorter float supports
and was derived from the the type 120 wing.

No further info..

From "Le Fana de l'aviation" n°222, May 1988, in an article devoted to the CAMS aircraft:
"In 1933, Maurice Hurel had already laid up the main lines of a four-engine exploration flying boat (Type 140) with the 2 central engines in tandem, 3 vertical fins and with a wing W geometry extrapolated from the one of the CAMS 120. Such geometry was selected by the designer in order to reduce the length of the struts supporting the stabilizing lateral floats, located just under the lower part of the W wing."
The CAMS 141 was issued from this project. The prototype Type 141 performed her first flight on January 21, 1938.

Concerning the CAMS 120 (Fana n°121)
"In March 1935 took off for the first time from the river Seine, piloted by Maurice Hurel, the 3-seat flying boat CAMS 120 designed for reconnaissance and submarine hunting missions. This aircraft was designed following a program issued in 1933. Were also in competition the Loire 130, the Breguet 610, the Gourdou-Lesseure 820, the Levasseur PL200 and the LeO H43.
The hull, fully metallic, was connected, via double N struts to a high monoplane wing, of retangular shape with elliptic extremities. This wing, span 15,46m, was in W. Situated in the middle was an radial 720hp Hispano 9Vbr powering a 3 blade, fixed pitch Chauviere propeller.
During the tests, the Type 120 shown poor characteritics and a lack of lateral stability. The aircraft was lost in 1938 after an emergency water-landing close to Corsica. The crew was saved by a fishing boat but, due to the sea state, the flying boat capsided and sank."

Thanks for all the efforts! I think, my first assumption was wrong and the construction
of the wing probably had nothing to do with the later narrow chord Hurel-Dubois wing.