Register here

Author Topic: Molniya MAKS-OS  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Triton

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:47:52 am by Triton »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
Re: Molniya MAKS-OS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:05:14 am »
Additional Molniya MAKS-OS concept artwork and a mock up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:23:16 am by Triton »

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:40 pm »
How would the "tripropellant" engine have worked?  I would assume that the injector plate had two different sets of injectors: one set for kerosene and one set for hydrogen.  It would not be an optimized engine, but it helped alleviate a pure hydrogen design's disadvantages (low density & low thrust.)

MAKS struck me as being a pretty realistic spaceplane design, with the airlaunch reducing the drag losses and improving engine efficiency while the drop tank made orbital flight possible w/ realistic mass fractions.  But I've read that there were some TPS issues that remained to be solved (the wing leading edges would actually get hotter than those on Shuttle & Buran.)  Another big red flag was the approach towards separating the MAKS from the An-225.  I'd have a pretty high pucker-factor if I was the An-225 pilot!

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »
Can someone give me the Russian for the acronym MAKS-OS?

Mnogotzelevaya Aviatzionno-Kosmicheskaya Sistema - Orbitalny Samolet/Multipurpose Aerospace System - Orbital Plane
'Multipurpose' is a subtle inkling on military use of MAKS
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:56 am »
Can someone give me the Russian for the acronym MAKS-OS?

Mnogotzelevaya Aviatzionno-Kosmicheskaya Sistema - Orbitalny Samolet/Multipurpose Aerospace System - Orbital Plane
'Multipurpose' is a subtle inkling on military use of MAKS

Thank you very much.  ;D

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:42:26 pm »
Model of aerospace system AN-225/Maks from the USSR-Russian Aviation and Space Collectibles web site.

NOTE: Although seller claims that model is authentic and accurate, the reader should be aware that the authenticity and accuracy of this model is in question It may have been manufactured by  another party without license.

14 inches wing span model of joint development of Molniya corporation and Antonov Design Bureau of multipurpose aerospace system MAKS. In this transportation system orbiter starts in air with air breathing launcher.In this project existing world`s largest aircraft An-225 `Mriya` is used as a first stage.Maks shuttle vehicle with fuel tank transported for Air Launch on top of aircraft. Orbiter configuration is based on the experience of development of the space vehicles series SPIRAL, BOR and BURAN, on which significant technological stock is created.
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_53&products_id=1498

Seller's claim of authenticity:
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_39_48&products_id=845
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:45:41 pm by Triton »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
Model of An-225 Mriya with unmanned space module with fuel tank from the USSR-Russian Aviation and Space Collectibles web site.

NOTE: Although seller claims that model is authentic and accurate, the reader should be aware that the authenticity and accuracy of this model is in question It may have been manufactured by another party without license.

14 inches wingspan model hand made at Antonov Design Bureau (original producer of An-225 world's largest aircraft).Model issued for project of Air Launch of aerospace system An-225 with unmanned space module with fuel tank to be launched from An-225.
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_53&products_id=2839

Seller's claim of authenticity:
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_39_48&products_id=845
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:45:58 pm by Triton »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 02:16:50 pm »
these are not original factory models
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 02:30:51 pm »

No? Bogus knock offs? Delete the images I have posted?

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:32:34 pm »
just don't use term 'original'

Offline Meteorit

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:17:10 am »

A further warning, some models on that site are more or less inaccurate, or even completely wrong (Mikoyan 701 for example), so please take extreme care to compare them with pictures or drawings from other sources before posting.  :)

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:38 pm »

A further warning, some models on that site are more or less inaccurate, or even completely wrong (Mikoyan 701 for example), so please take extreme care to compare them with pictures or drawings from other sources before posting.  :)

It wasn't my intention to spam the forum with inacurate models. I was concerned that because it is a business, that models of unbuilt aviation and space projects would disappear from USSR-Russian Aviation and Space Collectibles as they were sold or that the site might disappear tomorrow. So I have been replying to threads so that we have copies of the models and can go back to the threads years later to find images of them if needed. Does that make sense?

Alex Panchenko makes claims that these model were actually built at the factories and were intended to be shown at trade shows, museums, or as gifts to important persons.

If I have posted images of models that are inaccurate, can you please report the post to me or a moderator via PM and we will work to get the images deleted?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:41:00 pm by Triton »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:37:40 pm »
I'd say regarding Myasishev stuff - Panchenko just used Konstantin Udalov books as source for making outsourcing models. If it was Boeing or Lockheed stuff, Panchenko would be momentally sued for this. Well, recently 'row of eyebrows were rised' (c) Bill Sweetman at EMZ as well on such unlicensed use of Mya designs.

EMZ model shop was never involved in Panchenko's business. So at least his claims regarding Myasichev factory models is lie. Pretty sure that the other model stuff is as 'authentic' as this one. It's like selling these 'hand-sculpted made from environment-friendly and abundant kiln-dried Philippine Mahogany Wood and skillfully handpainted by gifted artists' from ebay telling that this is original Lockheed (Northrop, Boeing) factory models.

No need to remove images, Triton.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:42:09 pm by flateric »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 03:53:01 pm »
I'd say regarding Myasishev stuff - Panchenko just used Konstantin Udalov books as source for making outsourcing models. If it was Boeing or Lockheed stuff, Panchenko would be momentally sued for this. Well, recently 'row of eyebrows were rised' (c) Bill Sweetman at EMZ as well on such unlicensed use of Mya designs.

EMZ model shop was never involved in Panchenko's business. So at least his claims regarding Myasichev factory models is lie. Pretty sure that the other model stuff is as 'authentic' as this one. It's like selling these 'hand-sculpted made from environment-friendly and abundant kiln-dried Philippine Mahogany Wood and skillfully handpainted by gifted artists' from ebay telling that this is original Lockheed (Northrop, Boeing) factory models.

No need to remove images, Triton.

Darn it!  :(  I believed that they had more authenticity and accuracy than models produced at sweatshops in the Phillipines.

Offline OM

• OMBlog
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »
Darn it!  :(  I believed that they had more authenticity and accuracy than models produced at sweatshops in the Phillipines.

...If you look on the bottom of each, you'll see the following inscribed:

"Help! I am being held prisoner in a Chinese model crafting sweatshop!"