Register here

Author Topic: "Sneeky Pete" Revealed  (Read 36074 times)

Offline Jet Disc

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
"Sneeky Pete" Revealed
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:42:06 am »
                                                                                           “SNEEKY PETE”

“Sneeky Pete” was an advanced technology demonstrator built by TASK Research Inc. of Santa Paula California in 1982, and was believed to have been built to test early avionics/electronic equipment that could fly a plane remotely (forerunner of today’s advanced UAV’s, RPV’s and UCAV’s). This single pilot manned test-bed was built by Jim Kern (president of TASK) which supplied many composite structures/components for the Rutan designed Long-EZ, Defiant, and Voyager aircraft during the early to mid 1980’s. Task Research Inc., was also involved in many military projects including the Northrop F-20 Tigershark, Lockheed TR-1 program, and supplied materials for U.S. Army helicopter blades. Note: Rutan Aircraft Factory/Scaled Composites was NOT involved in the construction/building process of the Sneeky Pete aircraft
       The maiden flight of Sneeky Pete took place at Mojave Airport on July 18th, 1982 with Dick Rutan at the controls (Mike Melvill, along with many others served as test pilots for this aircraft). Sneeky Pete was described as a “Long-EZ knock off”, slightly larger than a standard Long-EZ, with more rounded fuselage sides and a large bulbous two piece canopy. The craft also incorporated an extra long pitot tube in the front. This particular aircraft had a wing span of 28 feet with an overall length of approximately 17 feet. Power was supplied by a single Lycoming O-360 (180 HP) engine turning a variable pitch wood or composite propeller. The aircraft incorporated a retractable nose gear which was powered by an electric motor.  The wing root to fuselage joint was blended/contoured and flowed seamlessly into the cockpit. Sneeky Pete was outfitted with various special avionics depending on the specific mission requirement.  Eyewitnesses described the exterior of the aircraft as white in color. Only one airframe was ever constructed .  The designation “Sneeky Pete” was written along the side of the fuselage.
         It’s believed the flight test program for Sneeky Pete took place at the remote test site in Nevada (aka Area 51/AFFTC DET. 3) starting in late 1982 and is still ongoing. The aircraft has been put into seclusion at various times, but has never been officially retired. During its “down time”, Sneeky Pete was most likely stored in a TOP-SECRET facility known as “Dyson’s Dock” at Groom Lake which was also the location of the Northrop “Tacit Blue” technology demonstrator after it was retired in 1985. In its later variants, Sneeky Pete flew under jet power, and may have contributed to today’s advanced UAV’s which include: The Northrop/Grumman Global Hawk, General Atomics Predator, Boeing X-45, Northrop/Grumman X-47 Pegasus.  No photographs of “Sneeky Pete” have ever surfaced within the public domain (a bit odd for a vintage piston powered composite canard aircraft). Now that the Lockheed “Senior Trend” (F-117 Nighthawk), Northrop “Tacit Blue”,  “Project Senior C J” (Northrop ATB stealth Bomber), and the Boeing Phantom Works “Bird of Prey” have been declassified and now reside at the USAF museum (Dayton Ohio), it’s time for “Sneeky Pete” to come out into the light as declassifying this aircraft no longer poses any threat to the national security of the United States.   

Please note that “Sneeky Pete” is NOT to be confused with the well known Rutan Long-EZ,  or the German built “Long-EZ look-a-like” Speed Canard.

Please preserve a very important part of our national history by sending any technical information, drawings, sketches, illustrations or photos of the “Sneeky Pete” aircraft to military aerospace historian Michael Schratt below:
                                                                                     Michael Schratt
                                                                                     215 Lake Shore Dr.
                                                                                     Crystal Lake IL, 60014
                                                                                     email: auroracad5@aol.com   

Please see YouTube link below for my graphic intensive PowerPoint presentation titled: THAT'S CLASSIFIED......USAF SECRETS REVEALED

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: "Sneeky Pete" Revealed
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:42 am »
I always thought "Sneeky Pete" was associated with one of the early ideas for a stealth concept.  Subsonic and stealthy.   ???
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline BAROBA

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • 3D artist
    • BAROBA's 3D portfolio-site
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:24:57 pm »
Pictures?
Is the youtubevideo only 4.59 minutes long?
It stops just behind the pilot stand before the Bird of Prey..

Offline Jet Disc

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:26 pm »
The presentation is 23 segments long, and runs two hours. Just type in "Michael Schratt" in the search box on YouTube to watch the entire fully illustrated lecture.

Michael Schratt

Offline mz

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:50:17 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/v/P7_im6_jxJ0&color1=11645361&color2=13619151&fs=1

Here it is at about one minute mark. Looks pretty much like a long-Ez (IIRC 1984 means it was built later than Rutan's planes).

Fascinating videos there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:45:01 am by flateric »

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:58:06 pm »
I would be interested in seeing the full-rez versions of these (and any other data/drawings that went with 'em). Any chance of this happening?

Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:59:16 pm »
And these....

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Andreas Parsch

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 03:19:07 am »
In my personal opinion, Michael Schratt is a less than ideal source for this kind of "revelation". He's the originator of the "USAF flying disc" fake of several years ago. This story has by now all but disappeared from the web (Mr. Schratt has completely removed his usafflyingsaucers.com site, but some of it can still be seen using the www.archive.org site - e.g. this PDF file), presumably because it has been thoroughly debunked.

So until his presentation (which I haven't watched yet) is backed up by really convincing and verifiable evidence, I'll remain very skeptical about any "extraordinary" claims made.

But as I said, that's my personal opinion only.

Regards
Andreas
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:33:32 am by Andreas Parsch »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:29:46 am »
I suppose that this is a mix of 'Grade 6' sources...as well as 'Grade -6' ones.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Andreas Parsch

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:03:13 am »
I listened to about 2/3 of the presentation ... and the same "USAF Flying Disc" photos, which were proven to be fake a long time ago, are presented as fact again  >:( >:(! Together with a whole lot of other utter nonsense! If there is anything in this presentation, which isn't either well known public fact or old debunked rubbish, please wake me ;).

Anyway, all this should probably go to the "Bar" here  ;D!

Offline sferrin

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:17:53 am »
Dowloaded all 24 pieces last night but haven't watched it yet.  Did see a screen with Nazi flying saucers on it though.  ::)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:49:43 pm »
I suppose that this is a mix of 'Grade 6' sources...as well as 'Grade -6' ones.

I recognized some of it as "real stuff." Specifically the Convair Fish stuff, which I have a complete copy of the report on from my trip back in March. The copy I have has "SECRET" stamped all over it, and I've not had a lot of luck in getting it checked for declassification; but if someone is wandering the nation showing classified images to the general public, a good case can be made that it is now in the "public domain" or whatever, and is automatically declassified.

I'll want to check on that before I get my nuts ina  bind with the FBI, of course....

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 07:48:08 am »
http://www.ufocongressstore.com/servlet/the-689/Michael-Schratt-Presents-That%27s/Detail

Michael Schratt Presents That's Classified: Air Force Secrets Revealed

Michael Schratt has lectured across the country on the subject of "Mystery Aircraft", and classified propulsion systems buried deep within the military industrial complex.

A recent guest speaker at the “OSHKOSH” AirVenture 2006/2007 event, (the world’s largest air show), Michael has developed a number of contacts who have had first hand experience dealing with classified “black programs”, including former USAF pilots, retired Naval personnel and aerospace engineers who have maintained a TOP SECRET Q “MAJIC” clearance. A private pilot and military aerospace historian, he currently works as an aerospace draftsman near Chicago.

Price:  $20.00
$20.00 DVD
$10.00 Audio CD

...oh, YES...ugh
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 08:29:04 am »

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:24:28 am »
I would be interested in seeing the full-rez versions of these (and any other data/drawings that went with 'em). Any chance of this happening?

Wait for the Popular Mechanics article that's sure to come from this :)