Register here

Author Topic: Project ISINGLASS & Project RHEINBERRY  (Read 70616 times)

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Project ISINGLASS & Project RHEINBERRY
« on: June 09, 2006, 04:11:26 am »
Anyone anything about this stuff? More than this:

Isinglass: Mach 17, rocket powered, air-launched reconnaissance aircraft? part of RS-129 (Staged combustion hydrogen-oxygen rocket component development program)? wide usage of lightweight structures (diffusion bonded titanium honeycomb)

"CIA air-launched, rocket-powered high speed manned vehicle project of 1965-1968 that developed basic technologies used in later shuttle and reusable launch vehicle programmes.

Isinglass was a the code name for a heavily classified, rocket-powered, air-launched aircraft studied by the Central Intelligence Agency as an A-12/SR-71 successor in 1964-1968. It studied several technologies that would be used in later shuttle and SSTO programmes, including light weight structure and thermal protection system concepts, and diffusion-bonded titanium. A large scale test article was built and tested to prove these features.

The initial Isinglass concept was designed by General Dynamics based on work done on the B-58-launched Super Hustler, Fish, and Kingfish programs of 1958-1960. The new design would use modern avionics and hydraulics systems developed for the F-111 and be capable of air-breathing Mach 4-5 cruise at 30 km altitude. The General Dynamics feasibility study was completed in the fall of 1964. An alternative design completed by McDonnell Aircraft in 1965 was designated Project Rheinberry. This would be a rocket-powered aircraft launched from a B-52 and flying at a near-orbital speed of Mach 20 at 60 km altitude. For the CIA's reconnaissance purposes, neither of these concepts were found to have advantages in comparison to satellites to justify the high development and operating risk and costs. "

"...Office of Special Activities did briefly consider several possible successors to the OXCART during the mid-1960's. The first of these, known as Project ISINGLASS, was prepared by General Dynamics to utilize technology developed for its Convair Divisions earlier FISH proposal and its new F-111 fighter in order to create an aircraft capable of Mach 4-5 at 100,000 feet. General Dynamics completed its feasibility study in the fall of 1964, and OSA took no further action because the proposed aircraft would still be vulnerable to existing Soviet countermeasures. In 1965 a more ambitious design from McDonnell Aircraft came under consideration as Project RHEINBERRY (although some of the work seems to have come under the ISINGLASS designation as well). This proposal featured a rocket-powered aircraft that would be launched from a B-52 mother ship and ultimately reach speeds as high as Mach 20 and altitudes of up to 200,000 feet. Because building this aircraft would have involved tremendous technical challenges and correspondingly high costs, the Agency was not willing to embark on such a program at a time when the main emphasis in overhead reconnaissance had shifted from aircraft to satellites. As a result, when the OXCART program ended in the summer of 1968, no more advanced successor was waiting in the wings-only the veteran U-2."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 04:23:46 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline dickie

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: Project ISINGLASS & Project RHEINBERRY
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:29:43 am »
hey, sorry to bring this post back to life after so long...

did you ever find your answer? i believe from the information i have seen that the ISINGLASS was an airbreathing mach 4-5 follow-on to the a-12 and the RHEINBERRY was the mach 17 rocket-propelled reconnaissance drone intended to be air-launched from a b-52.

hope that helps somewhat.

It would be really great to find additional information on these projects, and to know the status of the data collected by the supposed trials that GD put their concept through... still classified?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:39:31 am by dickie »

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:06:54 am »
You can make some idea about MDD proposal from this designs. First is dedicated technology demonstrator for investigating cruise flight from Mach 3 to 6 and later to Mach 9. Two turbojets are supplemented by one ramjet in the center. Turbojet air from the inlets would be diverted into the ramjet engine in the Mach 1. Second two pictures are artists impression of Incremental Growth Vehicle proposed for the Air Force flight research in high Mach regimes. Speed area was planned from Mach 4,5 to Mach 10.

AWST, Sept. 17, 1973, pg. 87 and 89

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline dickie

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
excellent! thanks for those pics, Matej!

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 01:43:31 pm »
More graphics of IGV.
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:37:05 pm »
Has any artwork of McDonnell's proposed successor to the SR-71, the Isinglass, ever been made public?  During the "Blackstar" brouhaha, Dwayne Day claimed that he was working on a historical article about the Isinglass program.  It appears that he's run into a brick wall of classification.  If that's the case, I'll keep on waiting patiently and eagerly until the classification is dropped on this exciting program.

Offline Skybolt

• Top Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 06:49:14 am »
I'd posted a reply, but it disappeared... Rheinberry was a boost-glide McDonnell project, it was manned and its engine was the XRL-129, a 250.000 lbs of thrust LH/LO engine by P&W. Some info and photos (of the engine and of the McDonnell developed roll bonded titanium structure)  in the curiously overlooked book by Dick Mulready "Advanced Engine Development at Pratt & Whitney" published by SAE International.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:51:37 am by Skybolt »

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:13 pm »
I would love to see more of Rheinberry. You know, Bill Rose teased us with the picture in his book. Which wasn't even Rheinberry anyway, but a follow-on called Aerospaceplane, from the early70's.
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline KJ_Lesnick

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:54:46 pm »
Flateric,

Is that honeycomb also a type of TPS as well?  It looks a lot like McDonnell's roll-bonded TPS...

KJ Lesnick

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:01 am »
Rheinberry was a boost-glide McDonnell project, it was manned and its engine was the XRL-129, a 250.000 lbs of thrust LH/LO engine by P&W. Some info and photos (of the engine and of the McDonnell developed roll bonded titanium structure)  in the curiously overlooked book by Dick Mulready "Advanced Engine Development at Pratt & Whitney" published by SAE International.

Hmm...hmmm...may be too naive, but what if?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:51:38 am by flateric »

Offline starviking

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:13:01 am »
Rheinberry was a boost-glide McDonnell project, it was manned and its engine was the XRL-129, a 250.000 lbs of thrust LH/LO engine by P&W. Some info and photos (of the engine and of the McDonnell developed roll bonded titanium structure)  in the curiously overlooked book by Dick Mulready "Advanced Engine Development at Pratt & Whitney" published by SAE International.

Hmm...hmmm...may be too naive, but what if?

Hmm. Looks like the motor takes up a significant part of the vehicle. Artistic licence - or were drop-tanks part of the project?

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:39:51 am »
ah, the good ol' HGV. Hey, is it me or is the nose slightly raised from the rest of the craft's surface. It always had a notched appearance of sorts. I'm thinking of doing a 3-view of this beast, homework permitting (it's on the backburner with my X-37 model and few other little projects).

Moonbat

Offline starviking

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:00:39 pm »
ah, the good ol' HGV. Hey, is it me or is the nose slightly raised from the rest of the craft's surface. It always had a notched appearance of sorts. I'm thinking of doing a 3-view of this beast, homework permitting (it's on the backburner with my X-37 model and few other little projects).

Moonbat

Looks to me like the fuselage is just fattened out a little bit around that 'cowl' area close to the nose.

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 06:04:20 pm »
Ah, you see what I'm talking about too, eh?

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 07:09:34 pm »
I just had an idea pop in my head. What if the raised cowl up front is a jettisonable heat shield for some kind of sensor window?