Register here

Author Topic: Early Infrared Systems  (Read 2030 times)

Offline RyanC

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Crazy Researcher
    • Alternate Wars
Early Infrared Systems
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:14:03 pm »
The US Military's "Z Binoculars" c. 1944-45; developed as a compact active IR viewing device that would be used for either night-time driving or in conjunction with weapon mounted illuminators -- during tests with the "Z Binoculars" at Fort Belvoir, VA; they found that if you mounted the active IR light source onto a weapon, all you had to do was move the weapon so that the bright circle of active IR light was illuminating the target's center mass; and fire rapidly -- dispersion would then land most of your shots into the circle of IR illumination.

Edit: 100 of these were ordered c.1945; but with the end of the war after Japan capitulated; the order was canceled.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:14:29 pm by RyanCrierie »

Offline RyanC

• Crazy Researcher
    • Alternate Wars
Re: Active Infrared Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:25 am »
And here is a photograph of the Z-Binoculars in conjunction with a IR equipped M3 Carbine being tested at Fort Belvoir, VA circa November 1946.  (SC 261501)

Offline John21

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:08:01 pm »
M3 or M3A1 sub-machine gun, not carbine. Although I do find it interesting that they trialled it on the M3 SMG. Learned something new...and that's always cool.:)

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:30:52 am »
What was the effective range of the Z-Binoculars?  I suspect it was quite short and the M3 SMG was the only useful weapon at such short ranges.

Offline RyanC

• Crazy Researcher
    • Alternate Wars
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:14:14 pm »
Although I do find it interesting that they trialled it on the M3 SMG.

They also trialled it on M1919s, M1918 BAR, M1 Garand too I think.

Offline RyanC

• Crazy Researcher
    • Alternate Wars
Re: Early Infrared Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:17:53 pm »
Changed the title from Active Infrared to "Early Infrared" because of this little device.

PENROD.

it's a passive infrared system similar to today's thermal sights; but c.1945ish.

Basically something really warm walking in front of it sets off an alarm; I think.

Offline RyanC

• Crazy Researcher
    • Alternate Wars
Re: Early Infrared Systems
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
IRRAD - Infra Red RADar.

Basically a ranging system using infrared that used special reflectors that could be carried forward via scouting parties; allowing you to survey a position in total (visible light) darkness for bringing up artillery or whatever.