V-44 Quad Tilt-Rotor in the movies

If a real-life V-44 costs twice what the V-22 did, and if it takes twice as long to get operational, we're not just about to see one other than at the movies, anyway... ::)

Firefly 2 said:
So, does it transform into an autobot or a decepticon? ;)

"Flaming wreckage," actually. They spared no expense in blowin' stuff up in "Dark of the Moon." In the movie, there are secrets, political corruption, wasted years and wasted taxpayer money, fear and death and destruction in Chicago and the economy of Illinois gets pretty well destroyed. So, pretty much Blago but with giant alien robots.

OBB said:
"Flaming wreckage"
Yeah, you can already see some captions in the trailers. Just search for "Transformers 3 - Wingsuit BASE Jumping" at Youtube.
OBB, how was the movie? It seems to better than Transformers 2.

If they're going to use make believe stuff I wish they'd go with the really cool stuff.

Orionblamblam said:
Firefly 2 said:
So, does it transform into an autobot or a decepticon? ;)

"Flaming wreckage," actually. They spared no expense in blowin' stuff up in "Dark of the Moon." In the movie, there are secrets, political corruption, wasted years and wasted taxpayer money, fear and death and destruction in Chicago and the economy of Illinois gets pretty well destroyed. So, pretty much Blago but with giant alien robots.

;D Made my day!

fightingirish said:
OBB, how was the movie? It seems to better than Transformers 2.

I thought it was two+ hours of quality mindless entertainment. Vastly better than 2, with kinda "epic scale" destruction (Chicago get basically trashed... not a couple streets, but pretty much the whole city). It had a cameo appearance by a Famous Person playing himself; I about damn near laughed myself fuzzy when he came on screen. The Hot Model Chick was pretty popintless... added nothing to the plot, could act her way out of a paper bag, and I thought was really kinda... icky lookin'.

Now, if'n they'd'a had Christina Hendricks...

The ending of the movie makes a "Transformers 4" a bit doubtful. Death abounds in this one... probably hundreds of thousands of humans die, but more importantly, just about all the Decepticons are dead by the end (and most of the Autobots).

Orionblamblam said:
The ending of the movie makes a "Transformers 4" a bit doubtful. Death abounds in this one... probably hundreds of thousands of humans die, but more importantly, just about all the Decepticons are dead by the end (and most of the Autobots).

Not to worry... When there is a strong incentive to sell toys, there is always a way to resurrect good guys and bad guys alike!

There's still Unicron to deal with! And that guy can bring the Decepticons back to life.

As for the model chick, was it just me, or did her role seemed forced? It felt like it was written for Megan Fox's character, and wasn't edited much for the new girl.

Also, Laser-guided Ultra-long range Tomahawk SAMs! XD

Demon Lord Razgriz said:
As for the model chick, was it just me, or did her role seemed forced? It felt like it was written for Megan Fox's character, and wasn't edited much for the new girl.

Pretty much, yeah. Fox got canned right before filming started, so there wasn't a whole lot of time to write in a new character. Just some find-and-replace, throw in a few lines about the previous chick dumping him, and SHAZAM! Box office gold!

As for Unicron: Only if they can resurrect Orson Welles.

Although Unicron would be pretty damned cool...

This movie was a complete piece of garbage. Shame on Buzz Aldrin for appearing in it. With all of the "fake moon landing" crap thrown about for years, why would Buzz do anything to muddy the waters? Apparently he is ready for more, he plays himself in the movie to perpetuate the robots on the moon myth to dimwitted audiences everywhere. There is nothing even remotely resembling clever or inventive anywhere to be found in its excruciatingly painful 157 minute running time, they could have at least been merciful and kept it at 90 minutes of torture.

And Christ, they spend $200 million dollars and you would think it would cover a hot girl that can act. It doesn't. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley cannot act her way out of a paper bag.

sublight said:
This movie was a complete piece of garbage. Shame on Buzz Aldrin for appearing in it. With all of the "fake moon landing" crap thrown about for years, why would Buzz do anything to muddy the waters?

Ummm... because only an *idiot* would take a Transformers movie seriously???

I'm confused by your stance. You complain that the first transformers movie proposes most technology (microwaves, etc...) were gleaned from alien technology and not by good old fashioned engineering. Now you are totally OK with going to the moon for Alien technology and not for good old fashioned exploration. Yes, the public is stupid and I think they shouldn't be fed this kind of junk. It totally cheapens the Apollo program to the level of circus show and not the historical significance it deserves.

Stargazer2006 said:
If a real-life V-44 costs twice what the V-22 did, and if it takes twice as long to get operational, we're not just about to see one other than at the movies, anyway... ::)

There was an article in Defense News a couple of weeks ago discussing this. The gist of the article was that the V-22 is likely to be the last tilt-rotor we will see for a long time. The BA609 has found no customers, and the article indicated that the V-44 is not working out in the simulators. It's apparently too heavy to get off the ground. The V-22 is also underperforming on range because the cabin is unpressurized and they cannot get the range they advertised because they cannot go to the proper cruising altitude unless they put the entire crew on supplemental oxygen, which the payload cabin is not equipped for.

sublight said:
I'm confused by your stance.

Color me shocked.

There's a difference between recognizing that a movie is dumb (which the Transformers movies certain are) and believing that they will feed into pre-existign conspiracy nuttiness.

Personally, I hope the Apollo-hoaxers *do* glom onto T:3. It'll make it just that much easier to point and laugh.

sublight said:
I'm confused by your stance. You complain that the first transformers movie proposes most technology (microwaves, etc...) were gleaned from alien technology and not by good old fashioned engineering. Now you are totally OK with going to the moon for Alien technology and not for good old fashioned exploration. Yes, the public is stupid and I think they shouldn't be fed this kind of junk. It totally cheapens the Apollo program to the level of circus show and not the historical significance it deserves.

You know it was a movie, and not pretending to be a historical documentary, right? I take it you won't be going to see Apollo 18 either. I thought it was hilarious, and easily the best of the three, and after seeing it my brain has not been rewired to alter my perception of the Apollo program, either.

As for the V-44, when it gets blown up, was it wrong that my first thought was "yeah, that seems about right" :eek:

SOC said:
As for the V-44, when it gets blown up, was it wrong that my first thought was "yeah, that seems about right" :eek:

Inserting troops into Chicago via relatively slow-moving tiltrotors didn't make a whole lot of sense. Given that the skies were crawling with aliens robots that make the V-22 look positively slow, plodding and unmaneuvarable, you'd want to send the troops in via either stealth or speed. And note that while a large fraction - I think a large majority - of the troops being flown into Chi-town died before getting there, the Navy SEALs who *swam* in seemed to get in undetected.

Also gotta question the value of arming the troops with M-4 carbines. Those little BB-guns are fine for taking down humans, big armor-plated giant robots? Screw that noise, give all the troops *manly* weapons.
cornershot40mmNO7_small.jpg

China_Lake_4x40_REMOV_m.jpg

And like Independence Day and Return of the Jedi, T-3 ended early. Specifically, it ended before the true environmental nightmare kicks in. Having an entire other planet suddenly appear in the skies over Earth is, at the very least, going to set off tsunamis and earthquakes the likes of which the Earth has not seen since the Heavy Bombardment period; and even though it got sucked into some sorta votex/black hole/thingie, there'll still be a whole crapstorm of rubbish falling out of the sky.

At least this time there'll be a whole lot of Cybertronian goodies for the remaining scientists and engineers to examine and reverse engineer. Spaceships, specifically.

sublight said:
It totally cheapens the Apollo program to the level of circus show and not the historical significance it deserves.

After what Michael Bay did to WWII with the movie "Pearl Harbour" we should all be thankful he is inflicting his film interpretations on something as *insignificant* as the Apollo program.

Orionblamblam said:
Screw that noise, give all the troops *manly* weapons.

40x46mm? I thought you said "manly"?

ntw20_1.jpg

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

blackstar said:
Stargazer2006 said:

There was an article in Defense News a couple of weeks ago discussing this. The gist of the article was that the V-22 is likely to be the last tilt-rotor we will see for a long time. The BA609 has found no customers, and the article indicated that the V-44 is not working out in the simulators. It's apparently too heavy to get off the ground. The V-22 is also underperforming on range because the cabin is unpressurized and they cannot get the range they advertised because they cannot go to the proper cruising altitude unless they put the entire crew on supplemental oxygen, which the payload cabin is not equipped for.

I'd be most grateful for a link to that article. The BA609 had 60 + customers years ago, but not much has happened because Bell's management supported the a/c somewhat indifferently, part of a number of problems the company suffered the past decade (it also didn't help that they hired a senior executive who has always openly had a hostility to the concept of Tilt-Rotor. it'll be interesting to see how the a/c fares now that the program belongs to a company that supports it.

"Twining" the V-22 was always designer exercise. I'm not sure what "simulator" is cited in the article, but Bell-Boeing quite some time ago decided that a four nacelle Tilt-Rotor would be better served as a new a/c rather than just a fuselage with two sets of V-22 wings. It's worthy of note that under the Joint Heavy Lift program, all contenders except Tilt-Rotor (not necessarily from Bell-Boeing) were eliminated.

There was never any requirement (outside of the stillborn Army SEMA version) for the V-22 to be pressurized.

It may be the last Tilt-Rotor we'll see for a long time, but then with the current environment there doesn't seem to be any all-new vehicles we're going to see entering service for a long time.