Research Topics > Theoretical and Speculative Projects

Current mystery aircrafts/urban legends

<< < (4/46) > >>

bobbymike:
From Inside the Air Force:

What's That?

The House Appropriations Defense subcommittee has inserted more than three-quarters-of-a-billion dollars into a classified Air Force missile procurement account, according to a copy of the panel's review of the Pentagon's fiscal year 2011 budget request obtained by Inside the Air Force. The $770.5 million request was labeled under a "classified programs" budget line. The House panel removed the same amount of money from the service's Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prompt Global Strike missile?

quellish:

--- Quote from: Agent A on October 12, 2010, 08:04:23 pm ---Not sure if these really belong in the 90s list, but I'm still unsure of exactly what these were/are:

YF113G - stealth demonstrator? (and NOT a MiG...)

'Artichoke' - some outgrowth of Senior Trend?

Also, TR-3 is said to have come from mishearing Tier 3, is there anything to substantiate this, or indeed the TR-3 designation itself (apart from a TR-1, U-2, so 'must be' TR-3 lineage)?

--- End quote ---

Artichoke sightings were at a time and place where F-117s were flying without their full paint and RAM, so that is likely what started that rumor.

Agent A:

--- Quote from: quellish on October 12, 2010, 11:07:14 pm ---
--- Quote from: Agent A on October 12, 2010, 08:04:23 pm ---Not sure if these really belong in the 90s list, but I'm still unsure of exactly what these were/are:

YF113G - stealth demonstrator? (and NOT a MiG...)

'Artichoke' - some outgrowth of Senior Trend?

Also, TR-3 is said to have come from mishearing Tier 3, is there anything to substantiate this, or indeed the TR-3 designation itself (apart from a TR-1, U-2, so 'must be' TR-3 lineage)?

--- End quote ---

Artichoke sightings were at a time and place where F-117s were flying without their full paint and RAM, so that is likely what started that rumor.

--- End quote ---

And YF113G Dan?

Skyblazer:
I have a notion that YF-113G *could* have been the Northrop THAP demonstrator, which some say actually existed as a subscale proof-of-concept for B-2. But of course this is only speculation on my part.

quellish:

--- Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 12, 2010, 11:37:32 pm ---I have a notion that YF-113G *could* have been the Northrop THAP demonstrator, which some say actually existed as a subscale proof-of-concept for B-2. But of course this is only speculation on my part.

--- End quote ---

YF-113G flew in the early 1990s, so that scenario is not likely. THAP may have flown, may have not. THAP was apparently a concept from the USAF Aeronautical Systems Division from the late 70s/early 80s. The technology in THAP was very much the old school of LO - foam absorbers, inlet screens, and the like - very much like the LO treatments applied to Firebee drones, but throughout the structure. Definitely not on the level of the F-117 or TACIT BLUE, ASD was at the time running a LO program in parallel with the DARPA efforts. Those ASD programs produced HAVE KEY/SNEAKY PETE, which probably did fly, and may have been the source of these same rumors and sightings. SNEAKY PETE was an advancement over previous unclassified efforts, but was probably not able to demonstrate the level of signature reduction seen on HAVE BLUE. Because it was run from ASD, however, they thought it was the bee's knees - they did not have full awareness of HAVE BLUE and the dB reduction possible from those emerging VLO techniques. This is evidenced by the problems of the ATA program. ATA was based on the SNEAKY PETE platform, and ATA required access to those very same HAVE BLUE generation technologies to meet its signature goals - access that GD did not get, and is part of the ongoing lawsuit.
Sadly, this is a big reason SNEAKY PETE remains under wraps, likely in Dyson's Dock at DET 3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version