Register here

Author Topic: Vought (LTV) A-7 Corsair II Projects  (Read 46887 times)

Offline Triton

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
Re: Vought (LTV) A-7 Corsair II Projects
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:31 am »
Fascinating stuff.

Offline Mark Nankivil

• Archive Raider
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »
Greetings All -

On my last visit to the Vought Archives, I copied the following drawings of the two A-7X variants being looked at - the single engine F-101 DFE and the twin engine F404 Dry version (V-529).

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Offline ReccePhreak

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »
Greetings All -

On my last visit to the Vought Archives, I copied the following drawings of the two A-7X variants being looked at - the single engine F-101 DFE and the twin engine F404 Dry version (V-529).

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Cool drawings, thanks!

It would be interesting, but a real challenge, to convert a 1/48 A-7 model into the twin F404 version.

Larry

Offline italian_o

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2012, 10:41:29 am »

It would be interesting, but a real challenge, to convert a 1/48 A-7 model into the twin F404 version.

Larry

I did it in 1/48, look this link: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21674.0.html
I have NEVER completed the conversion, maybe this year I will complete the job....

Offline Grey Havoc

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2013, 04:16:02 am »
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a038455.pdf

INTRODUCTION

The Airborne Light Optical Fiber Technology (ALOFT) demonstration was sponsored
by the Naval Air System Command (AIR-360) to show the feasibility of using fiber
optics on an airborne military platform and to determine if fiber optics could lower the
overall cost or improve the overall performance of military systems.
When signals in an avionics environment ire transferred electrically, there is found
to be potential operational degradation and damage due to the susceptibility of metallic
conductors to elect romiagnetic interference, radio-frequency interference, lightning strikes,
and nuclear-generated electromagnetic pulses. Other sources of electronic interference such
as crosstalk, ground-looping, reflection, and short-circuit loading also affect system operation.
When an electro-optical interface is used to transfer signals, information is transmitted
through bundles of glass fibers called fiber-optic cables. Because of the dielectric nature of
glass, the bundles are immune to electrical interference and are unaffected by electbonic conduction
problems. Because of these attributes and the high-bandwidth capabilities of fiberoptic
cables, multiplexing can be used reliably in a fiber-optic system. Multiplexing reduces
the number of the required signal paths and the complexity of cable connectors. The resulting
enhancement of system performance and the savings of space and weight may make fiberoptic
technology highly cost effective for avionic systems.

PARTICIPANTS

The ALOFT project began in March 1974 when NAVAIR assigned NELC the responsibility
for conducting the fiber-optic investigation. The project came to an end in February
1977 after more than 107 flight-test hours of the fiber-optic A-7 system had been conducted
by Naval Weapons Center (NWC), China Lake, California.
       NELC was tasked by NAVAIR to manage the ALOFT project and to perform evaluation
tests on fiber-optic components. IBM, Federal Systems Division, Owego, New York,
performed the system design, fabrication, and integration. Ling-Temnco-Vought (LTV),
Vought Systems Division, Dallas, Texas, developed an installation plan and performed the
initial system ground tests. The Naval Weapons Center, China Lake, California, supplied the
necessary software for the system, safety-of-flight verification, and the flight test facilities
for the ALOFT demonstration. NWC also installed the ALOFT system in the aircraft and
performed ground and flight testing. The Naval Air Test Center (NATC), Patuxent River.
Maryland, evaluated the reliability and maintainability of the system. Emi and lightning susccptibility
tests were performed by LTV, McDonnell Aircraft Company, and personnel of
the Flight Dynamics Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. McDonnell Aircraft
Company, using data and analyses supplied by the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey,
California, executed an economic analysis of the ALOFT system.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
"I'm always right except when persuaded otherwise against my better judgement"

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Bill S

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #126 on: Today at 02:08:06 pm »
Low Speed Wind Tunnel model of a two seat strike fighter.
It has strakes, Pave Penny, UHTs still original configuration
and a large dorsal box for the refueling receptacle.
Photos VAHF

bill
« Last Edit: Today at 02:21:10 pm by Bill S »