Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Were those RAAF Washingtons the ones whose reliability held up UK guided weapons development or was that RAF examples?

Chris

As they were the only ones, it would have been them.   
Were those RAAF Washingtons the ones whose reliability held up UK guided weapons development or was that RAF examples?

Chris
Go back even further for an actual example - the P-51 was originally designed by North American to a British requirement, and if only they had put a Merlin in it from the start (even a high-blown single-stage), it might have done wonders earlier than it did. And everyone forgets just how many B-29 bombers and F-86 fighters served with the RAF...

No need to play what-if, though it is fun; there are more than enough examples of WHEN.

FWIW, the B-29s were something of a failure in RAF service. Suffered from poor serviceability and were eventually returned to the US earlier than planned.

Now that I did not know. I know there were plenty of engine issues in the bomber's early service, but I thought they had those sorted out (more or less) by the end of the war. Was the issue the airplanes, or poor awareness/insufficient experience among RAF ground crew in the demands of servicing them?

As far as I am aware, the Washingtons were old, they had seen extensive service with the USAF and were suffering from their age when the RAF took them up.   Interestingly, the RAAF had two Washingtons on charge and in service at Woomera in the late 1940s-early 1950s.
"DOAE studies I've seen at Kew don't seem to look at options, just vanilla F-14/F.2"

Very true and it was a MRCA AD they were looking at as well, which was pretty much what became the F.2.

They were interested in the F-14B with the F401, but it didn't perform. I think the real reason was that having seen the money pit that was the re-engined F-4K/M, the probable spiraling cost of fitting the F-14 with Speys, UK AIR (what became Blue Circle) and Skyflash, put the Air Force Department off the Tomcat.

Mind you the First Sea Lord was keen to have a separate Tomcat unit within the RAF to defend his fleet.

Nice wishlist.

Chris

Go back even further for an actual example - the P-51 was originally designed by North American to a British requirement, and if only they had put a Merlin in it from the start (even a high-blown single-stage), it might have done wonders earlier than it did. And everyone forgets just how many B-29 bombers and F-86 fighters served with the RAF...

No need to play what-if, though it is fun; there are more than enough examples of WHEN.

FWIW, the B-29s were something of a failure in RAF service. Suffered from poor serviceability and were eventually returned to the US earlier than planned.

Now that I did not know. I know there were plenty of engine issues in the bomber's early service, but I thought they had those sorted out (more or less) by the end of the war. Was the issue the airplanes, or poor awareness/insufficient experience among RAF ground crew in the demands of servicing them?
The picture looks a little like the ATF project. There are rumors of a bomber variant of the YF-23, which was first proposed in the early 2000's. Northrop (along with Lockheed) submitted a proposal to the USAF for an F-111 replacement aircraft. They took PAV-2 and modified it as a mockup of what the variant would look like (since then its been returned to its original configuration and placed in a museum). I've not seen any pictures of the reconfiguration or any additional information on the variant having progressed further than the mockup. USAF wanted a longer range system and pursued what became the B-21 program. Yet rumors persist.

Thanks for all the answers, didnt expect such quick responce.  ;D

Jets would be too slow to accelerate, however many jets towards the end of the war were proposed with reusable liquid rockets for assistance in taking off - so a hybrid rocket-jet with a large enough wing to allow landing at low speeds is a plausibility.

What about more powerfull catapults? A jet with low stall speeds could get airborne. AFAIK, Henschels Hs 132 was supposed to be an anti-shipping design at first, so it could be navalized if Kriegsmarine wanted so (correct me if I am wrong). It also had a pilot in the nose and in prone position = better visibility.

The most likely candidate to me would have been the Fw 190.

I get your point for this airplane up untill the point where later variants of F4U Corsairs would be leased to British carriers. From that point on, Wulfs would have a hard time.

Also I've seen mention of a  Blohm und Voss asymmetric design (P.62) as a "Marine-Stuka" but I have no idea if that was meant to be carrier-based or not.

Do you have any pictures of it, because I cant seem to find it on the internet.  :-\
Designation Systems / Re: Junkers J-Series Designations
« Last post by hesham on Today at 05:50:50 am »
From Junkers-Projektbezeichnungen bis 1935
I think the reason we all find this so satisfying to talk about is because of the nature of the British cancellations.

This forum draws its membership from all over the world and this thread draws its examples likewise. Why should the non-Brits among us be particularly drawn to the British experience?

Oh, and in answer to your own earlier question, FYI Armstrong Whitworth were gearing up to manufacture the Dunne safety aeroplane in 1914, when the First World War broke out. There is some discussion of that in the J W Dunne projects topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10