Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Museums, Events & Shows / Re: Sea-Air-Space 2017
« Last post by fredymac on April 05, 2017, 10:14:30 pm »
Museums, Events & Shows / Re: Sea-Air-Space 2017
« Last post by fredymac on April 05, 2017, 01:52:51 am »
Museums, Events & Shows / Sea-Air-Space 2017
« Last post by fredymac on April 04, 2017, 06:15:00 am »
Yes in the few French-sourced documents I have, it is labelled as a Fw 300...but not an airliner by any way!
JCC
Re : Ta 400 "in Luftwaffe over Amerika" (Manfred Griehl) the Ta 400 is described in a number of pages as being debated at length by the Luftwaffe high command (Milch, Goering...) as to wether it should be produced to drop a few bombs over New York...

JCC

Don't get me wrong, the aircraft referenced by Griehl, the Fernkampfflugzeug originally designed by Focke-Wulf, was intended to drop a few bombs over New York. But by the time it became the Ta 400 (known to the French as the Fw 300A) it was a completely different design (still called Fernkampfflugzeug though). Griehl doesn't seem to have understood this distinction and stuck 'Ta 400' into the debate (or his editor/translator did) when that designation doesn't appear in the original transcript - its just referred to as the Focke-Wulf long-range bomber.
It's a shame really, because this sort of thing - subtly altering the original text when transcribed - has resulted in endless confusion.
Re : Ta 400 "in Luftwaffe over Amerika" (Manfred Griehl) the Ta 400 is described in a number of pages as being debated at length by the Luftwaffe high command (Milch, Goering...) as to wether it should be produced to drop a few bombs over New York...

JCC
I only did a very rough calculation but I estimate that 30% of this book is all-new, either coming straight from archive vaults or, in some case, coming from contemporary (to the project) publications. The rest comes from various friends and I have to assume it may have appeared in historical publications (even if sometimes obscure publications). Because previous experiences, I have learned to take Cuny with caution, so I tried to stay away from his book...unfortunately it has just not always been possible.

JCC

I'm looking forward to reading the content concerning German types worked on by the French during the Second World War. I see some bits of CIOS XVII-1 German Activities in the French Aircraft Industry in there. Unfortunate that you mention the 'Amerika-Bomber programme' in connection with the Ta 400, since it was never intended for bombing America. Similarly, the He 274 was a pressurised altitude bomber intended for attacking targets in the UK above the reach of interceptors. Its range was never anything like sufficient for attacking America (range 2200 to 2500 miles - about 1000 miles short of New York).
Anything on projects that fall outside the scope of CIOS XVII-1, such as the Bf 109 S, Me 155 or Me 209?
I only did a very rough calculation but I estimate that 30% of this book is all-new, either coming straight from archive vaults or, in some case, coming from contemporary (to the project) publications. The rest comes from various friends and I have to assume it may have appeared in historical publications (even if sometimes obscure publications). Because previous experiences, I have learned to take Cuny with caution, so I tried to stay away from his book...unfortunately it has just not always been possible.

JCC
Well I have seen more enthusiasm ! This volume was much more difficult to research than the "fighter" volume because many subjects in it have never been properly covered in "monographies".

I am, in general, more connoisseur in the field of fighters. For the other items, even if I search since years the four engines Mirage IV, it's more difficult for me to say what is already known or not, even if it can be very new for me. When I'll receive this book at home it will be easier for me to speak about it.

I needed a long time to compare the first book with my files (at first with the two Cuny's books 1944-60). I'll need a much longer time to compare these files (the two Cuny's books again but this time with a lot of other files too, in particular from Secretprojects topics) with this new book.

For the Payen Pa.49, I think that it's the first time that we can see a drawing with the différences between the A and the B :) 
Well I have seen more enthusiasm ! This volume was much more difficult to research than the "fighter" volume because many subjects in it have never been properly covered in "monographies".
High lights of the book should be :
- Hertel flying wing projects at SNCASE
- annular wing bomber from a mysterious Messier (undercarriages) subsidiary
- four-engined Mirage bombers from Dassault
- 25 pages (!) about Minerve, including TCS/PSS (early Concorde) carrying missiles
- ramp launch systems and powered sleds à la Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds
- light (and very light) attack aircraft from Fouga
- after the high-speed versions seen in Vol 1, you get low-speed variants of Statodynes, Coléoptères and Aéroblic (some real weird)
- all Nord-Aviation ducted-fan designs
- "Cobra" style attack helicopters
- all the Hurel-Dubois "letter-opener" winged aircraft
- AWACS style projects with large rotodomes from Breguet
- nuclear powered projects from Sud
- flying armoured car from Nord

JCC
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]