Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: Books we would like to see reissued
« Last post by martinbayer on Today at 10:20:13 am »
Best aggregator site for book hunting that I'm aware of is https://www.bookfinder.com/.

Martin
« Last post by Schneiderman on Today at 09:48:10 am »
Its the result of using some kind of badly-written automatic pricing algorithm, or so I have read (or just plain greed/stupidity). Why sellers use it is a mystery. Checking out alternative sites, such as Abebooks and ebay, usually results in more sensible prices if you are patient. Many aircraft museums sell secondhand books at reasonable prices too.
« Last post by gatoraptor on Today at 09:19:45 am »
With such a thriving secondhand book market there is little value in simply republishing old titles, unless prices have moved into the stratosphere.

Unfortunately, the quoted prices for a lot of secondhand books have "moved into the stratosphere"!  I have some books on my Amazon "wish list" that occasionally appear as available - for prices like $200, $500, even $1500!  I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any of them, and I seriously doubt if anyone else would, either.  Who are these sellers trying to kid?
« Last post by Schneiderman on Today at 05:51:10 am »
The key really is revising and updating.
With such a thriving secondhand book market there is little value in simply republishing old titles, unless prices have moved into the stratosphere. I would estimate that nearly half of my library of books were purchased secondhand.
« Last post by DWG on Today at 05:50:17 am »
Must not start pulling Putnams and WAPJs from the shelves and muttering 'My Precious'....

It's worth keeping an eye on Amazon and other sites that sell second-hand, I picked up the Putnam's Fairey for a reasonable price last year. And the RAF and RN histories from a local bookshop for 8 each a few years before that. But updated editions would be nice, some of them are a lot weaker on unbuilt projects than others, and even for people who aren't fascinated by the might-have-been aspect they're a necessary element towards understanding design evolution.

Looking at naval stuff, there's a whole bunch of Norman Friedman and DK Brown books I'd like to see in a decently priced UK edition.

But the book probably most in need of re-release has to be Project Cancelled.

« Last post by FighterJock on Today at 05:46:08 am »
Yefim Gordon's MiG-31 book from the Famous Russian Aircraft series.  This book need to be seriously updated and reissued, perhaps doubled up with the MiG-25 like what he did with the Tu-22/22M book.
« Last post by gatoraptor on Today at 05:34:57 am »
Jonathan Thompson's book on Italian aircraft.

I agree on that one!  It's amazing that after all this time, his book still stands up very well.

(P.S. All my other Thompson books are about Ferraris!)
« Last post by Arjen on Today at 05:01:22 am »
Everything written by Jean Cuny.
Jonathan Thompson's book on Italian aircraft.
« Last post by Pasoleati on Today at 04:11:42 am »
Though I would revise them a bit. I agree with gatoraptor that smaller format suited the series much better. What I would change is the addition of "Jane's AWA" style technical and performance descriptions for each type covered. As of now the performance spec. is quite basic with information like take-off distances at various loads (ground roll and to clear 50 ft.) missing. I wouldn't mind constructional drawings either. 
Indeed I have.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10