Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I like the aircraft advertisements from the 1930s; the artists happily taking liberties with the subject, 'enhancing' the aerodynamics, removing pesky air intakes, aerials and other impedimenta, distorting the dimensions, and generally ignoring reality. This view of the Blackburn Skua is fairly typical of the genre

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1936/1936%20-%202691.html
One of the fun things before Computer generated images was the way in which artists let rip with their
impressions of new aircraft etc...
Here is one I enjoyed as a schoolboy in 1969...

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%202174.html?search=MRCA

It is one of the first public images of the MRCA or Tornado as it became..

What I like is the way in which bits of Phantom, Jaguar and other beasts have been cobbled together. This led
me to many jot many similar images when I should have been learning..
Theoretical and Speculative Projects / Re: "The Plane Makers"
« Last post by uk 75 on Today at 04:45:20 am »
have just posted a link to the you tube of The Saint episode "Flight Plan"
which features the P1127 (see The Bar Roger Moore thread)
and remembered that the mockup of the SF Predator is used for the
cockpit scenes close up. Always wondered what it was.
Designation Systems / Re: Mignet aircraft
« Last post by cluttonfred on Today at 02:36:33 am »
The HM.381 and HM.385 are both variants of the stock HM.380, itself a two-seat version of the single-seat HM.360.  The HM.381 has detail improvements over the original HM.380 while the HM.385 has a substantially different fuselage, struts and control arrangement to allow side doors, reverse tricycle landing gear and larger wings (9.0 m span front wing).  All of the HM.360/380 series were specifically designed for amateur construction and plans are available for free download with the Mignet family's consent at pouguide.org.  Here is a detail from the HM.385 drawings:

the fw -190 would be a poor choice in my oppion ,it had poor forward vision and a bouncy undercarriage . the bf-155 would be good enough for the rest of the war after that who knows.for bomber the 87 E would work but if they could get a licence for the d4y that would be better.
Honestly, I think one would see yet another variation of the Bf109 (say a"Bf109T-3" derived from the Bf109G series but incorporating some of the existing T series).  Maybe a Fw-190 variant - say derived from the F series.  That's if they didn't waste their resources chasing fanciful designs...
.... so it could be navalized if Kriegsmarine wanted so

...maybe by Admiral Raeder becoming Hitlers
successor earlier and because of sympathy to his ties to the navy, he orders the GZ to be finished and getting
the latest aircraft.

That is highly unlikely. With the Battle of the Barents Sea in 1943, Hitler decided to scrap the entire surface fleet. I see only 2 possible scenarios from that point on:

- Dönitz as the new admiral, who was quite supportive to Hitler and his ideas, asked to finish the GZ.
- Hitler would realise himself that carriers are important, if not in Europe then at least by messages from Japan about American successes.

As for the Göring: Hitler realised a little to late that far better commanders were available.

But yeah, I agree that is more of a what-if.
.... so it could be navalized if Kriegsmarine wanted so

The slogan "Alles was fliegt, gehört mir !" (Everything that flies is mine !) by Herman Göring wasn't
suspended until the end of the war. The Luftwaffe itself was in constant need of any aircraft, it could get.
I don't think, that the wish to get such a new type of aircraft ever would have had even the slightes chance
to become true. Of course, if we stretch What-If to its very limits, maybe by Admiral Raeder becoming Hitlers
successor earlier and because of sympathy to his ties to the navy, he orders the GZ to be finished and getting
the latest aircraft.
Theoretical and Speculative Projects / Re: Fictional Warships - Novels
« Last post by Graham1973 on Yesterday at 07:44:00 am »
Another 'Self-published on Amazon' technothriller...

Liam Robert Mullen, Pacific Deeps, 2017

United States

USS Obama (SSN-???)
Virginia Class Submarine
Details as per the real ships
Note: Unlikely name. While the novel is undated, the description of the sitting US President (Unnamed in the novel) implies it takes place during Barack Obama's second term.

North Korea

Unnamed
Type 094 Class Submarine
Details as per the real ships
Note: Operating under false Chinese identity in novel.

Plot summary: As the situation on the Korean Peninsula edges closer to war, a brutal murder takes place aboard a United States submarine, with the situation worsening the investigators have to come to the sub.

Note: This is the second time I've seen a plot involving a murder on a nuclear submarine, the first was Mark Smith's 'The Valiant'.

Designation Systems / Re: Mignet aircraft
« Last post by hesham on Yesterday at 06:33:36 am »
Hi,

HM.24  was a two-seat light aircraft oF 1941,a version of HM.20.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10