Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Was the Model 78 ever designed to be a competitor to the Chinook?  Pity it was never built.

The Navy issued contracts to both McDonnell and Sikorsky for this marine assault mission, designated HRH and HR2S respectively. McDonnell's contract was subsequently terminated. The resulting Sikorsky helicopter is better known as the H-37, its Army designation. As Mark noted, this program was almost a decade earlier than the Chinook.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Lockheed A-12 and SR-71 projects
« Last post by SOC on Today at 08:28:28 pm »
 ;D whoops, yeah I guess that would probably work too LOL  I'll dig the files out this weekend and see if they can be reloaded.  Might have to resize a few things.
« Last post by TomS on Today at 08:16:26 pm »
Not sure I have an account anywhere else to host the files, but if you want the images I can email them your way.

You could just upload them to this site.
« Last post by SOC on Today at 04:37:01 pm »
Not sure I have an account anywhere else to host the files, but if you want the images I can email them your way.
Missile Projects / Re: THAAD Development
« Last post by Mark S. on Today at 03:21:55 pm »
From defense News:

"Cahill said Lockheed is still in the process of reaching an agreement on what kind of capabilities, for example, an evolved THAAD interceptor could go after.
The desire to add extended range at the back end and more advanced sensing capability on the front end of the missile could give THAAD the capability to take out more advanced threats like hypersonics because it could take out a particular threat “before it has the chance to do the things it’s designed to do to defeat you,” Cahill noted.

“I wouldn’t want to say specifically what [THAAD Extended Range] could do against particular threats yet because we are still working our way through that,” Cahill said, “but there is no doubt, in general, further down-range, higher-up capability gives you better ability to hit something in the right zones. The more envelope you’ve got, the more you can pick where you can go hit them.”
Naval Projects / Re: Streetfighter
« Last post by Matt R. on Today at 12:16:08 pm »
"Streetfighter" concept painting of a corvette-sized littoral combatant that appeared in The Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet  (Seventeenth Edition, 2001) by Norman Polmar. From a painting by Jim Stilphen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VO8BAdZJ7SsC&pg=PA206&dq=Streetfighter+Navy

Another view (via Military Stories) :

Where did you get the list from? It seems very unlikely that some of those companies would have been requested to tender.
A few pics of the Atlas ACE that were posted there that I can't recall seeing before, so I don't think these are reposts.
Hi Graugrun.
From what he has written, he knows quite a lot of info..he stated he was in the industry (Atlas/Denel) from the late 70's to the late 90's, which is THE crucial time concerning indiginous projects and developments resulting from the sanctions era. He has released info and some pics on various projects he was involved in, such as ECM integration and the re-engining project.
A few people have requested info particularly on the Carver, but he seems to be taking his time releasing stuff in snippets. He has also alluded to the hectic secrecy from the time period, with some stuff still apparently classified.
Early Aircraft Projects / British B.12/36 Heavy Bomber Competition ?
« Last post by hesham on Today at 09:19:56 am »
Hi,

In early 1936,the Air Ministry announced for heavy bomber four engined aircraft competetition,
and by July of the same year,they asked; Avro,Blackburn,Bristol,De Havilland,Fairey,Gloster,
Hawker,Saro,Shorts,Supermarine and Westland.

A few weeks later also anther tenders were reached to submit a proposals; Armstrong Whitworth,
Boulton Paul,Handley Page and Vickers.

The mystery that the concepts from Avro,Blackburn,De Havilland,Fairey,Gloster,Handley Page,Hawker,
Saro and Westland were missing,anyone heard about them ?.

Profile magazine
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10