Hi,

the Kharkov Aviavnito-8 was a Project of 1937 for 11-passenger
transport aircraft developed from KhAI-3,powered by one M-11
engine,bur never flown.The Aviavnito-9 was fast passenger
transport aircraft of 1934 powered by one M-34 engine,but
was never built.

Last edited:
Hi Hesham

Details from "Aviation in Ukraine", by V.S. Savin, 1995 ("Авиация в Украине" В.С. Савин) :

• KhAI-AVIANIVTO-8 moto-glider was to be derivated from the better known KhAI-AVIANIVTO-3 "Serguey Kirov", with 2 M-11 engines of each 100HP, probably in a central gondola (I am not sure). Works began in 1937, but it was never finished.
    Datas : Crew = 1 pilot + 11 passengers - Lengh 6.80m x Width 22.40m - wing surface 78.6m²
    Estimated : Speed 170km/h - Service ceiling 5,000m - Operating distance 600km

• KhAI-AVIANIVTO-9 was a project for a twin-engine and twin-fin passenger aircraft of 1934, powered by 2 M-34 engines of each 750HP. Construction never began. Please find 2 sketches below.
    Project datas : Lengh 12.40m - Wing surface 77.5m² - Empty weigh 4,280kg - Taking off weigh 7,200kg
    Speed 417km/h - Service ceiling 9,100m (pressurised ?) - Operating distance 2,460km

Have a nice week ... Marc

Attachments

• Avianivto-9.jpg
    Avianivto-9.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 367
Thank you very much Marc_91,it is very interesting informations
and drawings.

Three view's of KhAI-AVIANIVTO-9 and its predecessors (1934-1935) All with engines M-34.
drawings V.Egorov magazine "Крылья"

Attachments

• KhAI Aviavnito-6.jpg
    KhAI Aviavnito-6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 369
  • KhAI Aviavnito-7.jpg
    KhAI Aviavnito-7.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 384
  • KhAI Aviavnito-9.jpg
    KhAI Aviavnito-9.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 376
Thank you my dear Borovik very much,

and can I ask you if Aviavnito-7 means Kharkov KhAI-7 or not ?.

Great borovik and if you have some technical data...

Hi my russian friends,

I have a problem with the Kharkov designation system (KhAI/ChAI/ХАИ). Some birds named only KhAI, some named KhAI Aviavnito (but there was a KhAI Aviavnito-6 and a KhAI.6, the KhAI.3 sailplane and a KhAI Aviavnito-3). For me a little bit to much, please help.

Thanks

Hi Karsten,
The aircraft named "KhAI Aviavnito" designed and built by a group operating in Ukraine, in Kharkov Aviation Institute Member of All-Union Scientific-Technical Aircraft Engineering Company ("Aviavnito").
Around KhAI "Aviavnito-3" ("Sergei Kirov) - in the Soviet / Russian press has long existed confusion, many publications often incorrectly called KhAI-3.
Aircraft KhAI "Aviavnito-6"; KhAI "Aviavnito-7", and KhAI "Aviavnito-9" were united by the common theme of "STS" - Skorostnoy Transportniy Samolet (High-Speed Transport Aircraft), and intended to contest for the modern, high-speed passenger plane, organized by the engineering society "Aviavnito".
KhAI "Aviavnito-7" also elaborated upon and for possible military use as a bomber. Maybe if successful for him
designation was reserved KhAI-7, (yet unknown)
hesham « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:37:59 pm »
...and can I ask you if Aviavnito-7 means Kharkov KhAI-7 or not ?.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9894.0.html

Thanks borovik and redstar72,

do you have info´s about the Aviavnito-1/-2/-4/-5 and -8?

If I understand correct: the Aviavnito-team was an own team at the Kharkow Aviation institute?

Do you have a list about the aircraft by the institute...

Thanks Maveric

If I understand correct: the Aviavnito-team was an own team at the Kharkow Aviation institute?
Not exactly, at that time it was a public organization (example - Osoaviakhim etc.)
Non-governmental organization of engineers specializing in aircraft. At the Kharkov Aviation Institute was headed by Academician Georgy Proskura. Members KhAI-Aviavnito were who studied or worked in Kharkov aviation engineers (I. Neman, Alexander Lazarev, held while industrial practice A. Mikoyan ... hundreds of names).
do you have info´s about the Aviavnito-1/-2/-4/-5 and -8?
Unfortunately no information.
It is known that S. Kuzmin, by June 1935 elaborated a draft KhAI-Aviavnito-4. The construction of the aircraft, but soon stopped.

KhAI-Aviavnito-8 is the same project that we know how KhAI-8.
Off the record/protocol ;)
By and large all these formality/conventions, the author himself KhAI-Aviavnito-3 Alexander Lazarev, decades later, in 1964 the magazine "Young modeler-builder/Юный моделист-конструктор" № 10, his plane was not otherwise than KhAI-3 is not called. ))

A bit more on Kharkov Aviation Institute Aviavnito projects from the V.S. Savin book called Aviation of Ukraine (Osnova Publishing 1995).

Here are the data tables in Russian for the various KhAI-Aviavnito projects as well as side views of the KhAI-Aviavnito-6 ,7 & 9 fast transport projects and a side view of the KhAI-Aviavnito-9 internal plan at the bottom.

Attachments

• KhAI-Aviavnito_Types_Designations_Article.png
    KhAI-Aviavnito_Types_Designations_Article.png
    329 KB · Views: 216
  • Aviavnito_Types_Designations_Article.png
    Aviavnito_Types_Designations_Article.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 138
Apologies for the duplicate post of the KhAI-Avianito-9 details from Marc_91 at http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9894.msg92009, I did not see it in my original search results.

Topics merged. TsAGI's "Aviavnito" projects had nothing to do here.
They can now be found here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27446.0

Here is the KhAI-Aviavnito-2 "Blokha" project, a tandem-seat open-cockpit lightplane, a kind of powered glider:

Attachments

• Aviatnito-2.jpg
    Aviatnito-2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 198
From Kryl'ya Rodine 11/12-2019,

and from a Russian book,I think the Aviavnito series was not always indicated to it by KhAI designation,here is a strange Info about KhAI-7,a dive attack bomber Project,but maybe they was wrong or misprint about the date,I think they meant 1935 (not 1955),also from this magazine,the KhAI-8 was appeared as
a Project for recce/observation low-wing airplane,with butterfly tail,and it was created in three variants,who can help us ?.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 1.png
    1.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

and from a Russian book,I think the Aviavnito series was not always indicated to it by KhAI designation,
here is a strange Info about KhAI-7,a dive attack bomber Project,but maybe they was wrong or misprint
about the date,I think they meant 1935 (not 1955),also from this magazine,the KhAI-8 was appeared as
a Project for recce/observation low-wing airplane,with butterfly tail,and it was created in three variants,
who can help us ?.

In this article the author pointed out that this figure is the fruit of his imagination. Therefore, this picture can not be taken for the original

and from a Russian book,I think the Aviavnito series was not always indicated to it by KhAI designation,here is a strange Info about KhAI-7,a dive attack bomber Project,but maybe they was wrong or misprint about the date,I think they meant 1935 (not 1955),also from this magazine,the KhAI-8 was appeared as
a Project for recce/observation low-wing airplane,with butterfly tail,and it was created in three variants,who can help us ?.

Very Strange,the translate;

Kharkov residents have developed another interesting project. Back in 1935, I.G. Neman was offered to develop a project for a metal short-range bomber and attack aircraft KhAI-7 (RSh), which was presented as a further development of a high-speed aircraft type with an AM-34FRNT water-cooled engine. A low-wing wing with a caisson type and a working skin was designed. However, the project was never completed due to changing customer requirements.