US Hypersonics - Prompt Global Strike Capability

Third hypersonic test eyed

Despite Concerns, House Authorizers Don't Increase CPGS Dollars

Posted: May. 07, 2014

Despite expressing concern that the Pentagon lacks funding needed for a hypersonic weapon technology capable of striking faraway, fleeting targets on short notice, the House Armed Services Committee is not authorizing additional money for the faster-than-the-speed-of-sound program. In its mark-up of the fiscal year 2015 defense authorization bill, the House Armed Services strategic forces subcommittee expressed concern that the Pentagon did not request enough money to deploy a hypersonic prompt strike weapon on a submarine platform or transition the technology to an acquisition program. The subcommittee calls for the Pentagon's acquisition chief, along with the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to submit a report by February 2015 that lays out a detailed plan for the future of the Conventional Prompt Global Strike (CPGS) program. The report should look at "an estimated timeline for completion of current research and development activities and associated projected cost; a determination about which additional strategic infrastructure technologies and enabling capabilities may be required to support" CPGS; and efforts to transition these technologies to current and future weapon systems, according to the subcommittee mark released last week. The report should also examine when these programs will be "transitioned to military services for full development and acquisition" and "an updated assessment of threat for which the military requirement for this capability was validated," according to the mark. CPGS systems are intended to provide a long-range, rapid, precise, non-nuclear capability for destroying high-risk targets that appear only briefly or are heavily guarded. Such weapons would evade enemy defenses in anti-access and area-denial threat environments.

"The committee is also concerned that with the budget request for fiscal year 2015, and the future years defense program, there is not sufficient funding requested and planned for the transition of this technology to a military service for a full-scale development and acquisition program when the technology has reached appropriate maturity," according to the subcommittee mark. The Defense Department is seeking $70.8 million for the CPGS program in FY-15, according to budget justification documents released in March, which note that "program timing will be driven by the outcome of flight test events and DOD budgets." The department plans for $769.5 million over the future-years defense plan, with more than $200 million requested in both FY-18 and FY-19. The House Armed Services Committee's chairman's mark, released this week, provides $70.8 million in FY-15. DOD wants most of that money -- $65.2 million in FY-15 -- to go to the project that includes the Army's Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW). This sub-program is designed to "test and evaluate alternative booster and delivery vehicle options and will assess the feasibility of producing an affordable alternate solution to fill the CPGS capability gap," according to the budget justification materials. The AHW had its first successful flight test in November 2011, when it was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii and traveled 2,400 miles to Kwajalein Atoll in the South Pacific.

In August, DOD intends to conduct the second test of the AHW, according to recent congressional testimony. The results of this planned test could help drive DOD's plans for CPGS. But House authorizers also question whether the department has enough money to fully examine its AHW efforts. "The committee is aware that following flight test 2, the Department of Defense plans to examine the feasibility of deploying a hypersonic prompt strike weapon on a submarine platform," the subcommittee wrote. "The committee believes it is prudent to undertake these efforts, but is concerned about the budget sufficiency to do so." The subcommittee also questions whether a third flight test of the program might be beneficial. "The committee is also concerned that there does not appear to be an Army development program in the department's plans, notwithstanding the fact that the only success the United States has seen with these technologies is the Army's AHW demonstrator," the subcommittee wrote. "The committee believes it is prudent to consider whether a third flight test of the AHW could contribute to the department's understanding of the feasibility of an Army development path."

The report the subcommittee calls for should also include an "assessment of the utility of a third AHW flight test," according to the mark. In addition to building up U.S. hypersonic efforts, the subcommittee also wants to ensure the Pentagon is working to protect against this technology, noting that in January, China successfully conducted its first flight test of a hypersonic glide vehicle. China and other nations "pose an increasing challenge to the United States' technology edge in such emerging areas as hypersonic weapons," the subcommittee wrote. "The committee is unaware of any significant efforts to prepare defenses against hypersonic weapons," the subcommittee wrote, calling for the acquisition chief and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to prepare a report by the end of the year "that evaluates emerging hypersonic threats to the United States, its allies and its deployed forces, and explains how the Department of Defense intends to develop and deploy a defensive capability to counter this emerging threat." The full committee was marking up the bill at press time (May 7). -- Jordana Mishory

Thank you Quellish for posting..."discernible non-ballistic trajectory" thank god..

sferrin said:
I can see it. Say Russia or China nukes Hawaii as an example and then tells us to stand down or else they'll nuke a bunch of cities in the Continental US? Do you honestly believe the current administration would nuke them right back? You better HOPE they believe we would or else times are gonna get interesting indeed.

Alas, the horse has long bolted on that one.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/congress-funds-armys-hypersonic-missile-after-chinese-strike-vehicle-test/

bobbymike said:
DSE said:
bobbymike said:

Just another rehash of info already posted more than once elsewhere.
I found this quote newsworthy;

“There are other capabilities that could get us faster missiles sooner [than hypersonics],” Laird told me. “I think we need to look at missiles across the board.”

I noticed that too...you would tend to think of things like LRASM-B.

Or the USAF could purchase the remaining C-17 run and equip them with a weaponized version of Orbital's new air-launched IRBM target.

Navy, Raytheon Ready New Satellite-Guided SM-6 Variant

Posted: Jul. 01, 2014

The Navy is preparing to pack more punch into the Standard Missile-6, giving it an offensive capability by equipping the weapon to utilize satellite-provided location information and providing the Raytheon built-system the ability to strike targets ashore.

The Navy said the proposed new variant, designated the SM-6 Block IA, is scheduled to be flight-tested this summer and -- if successful -- would become the new baseline version of the missile, originally fielded to provide ship terminal defense against enemy aircraft and anti-ship cruise missiles. The previously unreported upgrade would be accomplished by "cutting in" the SM-6 production line and incorporating the new capabilities as part of an engineering change proposal.

"Production cut-in decision is anticipated summer 2014 following successful development and flight test," Colleen O'Rourke, a spokeswoman for the Navy program office manages SM-6 development and acquisition, told InsideDefense.com in a June 20 statement.

The current SM-6 is a surface-to-air supersonic missile that utilizes an active seeker to find its targets, incorporating the capabilities of two established Raytheon products: the Standard Missile-2 and the Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile. In May 2013 -- after two years of delays and technical challenges -- the Navy received the green light to proceed with full-rate production; in November, the service declared initial operational capability for the SM-6.

While deploying the weapon on Ticonderoga-class cruisers and Arleigh Burke-class destroyers equipped with the Aegis air defense system to help defend the fleet, the Navy plans to improve the weapon through spiral development, with follow-on block upgrades to address threats as they arise.

"SM-6 Block IA is an enhanced version of SM-6 Block I with guidance section hardware and software modifications, and [Global Positioning System] added to achieve common coordinate reference to enable SM-6 to continue to pace the threat," O'Rourke said.

The SM-6 Block IA "is a way of increasing the fleet's offensive striking power at a relatively low cost," said a former senior Pentagon official.

In April, the Navy reported to Congress that plans to begin cutting in SM-6 Block IA production in FY-18 would add $195 million to the program's cost, which would be almost entirely offset by unit cost efficiencies realized during fiscal year 2013 contract negotiations, according to a 33-page SM-6 Selection Acquisition Report sent to Congress on April 16.

The upgraded SM-6 would give commanders another option for striking targets at sea or on land, augmenting current inventories of Tomahawk cruise missiles as well as the planned Long-Range Anti-Ship Missile, said the former official.

Navy leaders last year directed a major expansion of the SM-6 program, adding 600 missiles to the total planned acquisition (DefenseAlert, Sept. 6, 2013). The new $3.3 billion commitment raised total planned spending on the program through 2026 to an estimated $10 billion.

In 2013, the deputy defense secretary directed an SM-6 "future capability demonstration," which is expected to involve an at-sea demonstration in FY-16 and operational deployment by FY-18, according to Navy budget documents.

Capt. Michael Ladner, the SM-6 program manager, confirmed the future capability demonstration through a Navy spokesman on May 1, noting "plans are still being finalized within the department of the Navy." However, he declined to elaborate, citing "pending classification guidance."

Congress allocated $25 million for the future capability demonstration project in FY-14 and the Navy is seeking $36 million for it in FY-15. In total, the Navy plans to spend $167.5 million for SM-6 development through FY-19, according to service budget documents.

Congress appropriated $367 million for SM-6 procurement in FY-14, allowing the Navy to purchase 93 missiles, according to O'Rourke. -- Jason Sherman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So DARPA ArcLight quietly happened?

I'd think this would have the same set of problems the SM-4 did (Land attack SM-2) - not enough bang for the buck.

"After a concept demonstration of the new guidance system and warhead in late 1997, using three modified RIM-66K SM-2MR Block III missiles, development of the proper LASM began, and the designation RGM-165A was allocated. It was originally planned to convert up to 800 existing SM-2MR Block II/III missiles to RGM-165A configuration, with IOC (Initial Operational Capability) planned for 2003 or 2004. However, the LASM program was cancelled by the Navy in 2002, because the RGM-165 missile would have had only very limited capabilities against mobile or hardened targets."

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-165.html

sferrin said:
I'd think this would have the same set of problems the SM-4 did (Land attack SM-2) - not enough bang for the buck.

"After a concept demonstration of the new guidance system and warhead in late 1997, using three modified RIM-66K SM-2MR Block III missiles, development of the proper LASM began, and the designation RGM-165A was allocated. It was originally planned to convert up to 800 existing SM-2MR Block II/III missiles to RGM-165A configuration, with IOC (Initial Operational Capability) planned for 2003 or 2004. However, the LASM program was cancelled by the Navy in 2002, because the RGM-165 missile would have had only very limited capabilities against mobile or hardened targets."

Well personally I'd like a missile with about a 2k mile range able to carry a 1k lbs warhead but you'd have to redesign VLS and it'd be probably too costly.

bobbymike said:
sferrin said:

Well personally I'd like a missile with about a 2k mile range able to carry a 1k lbs warhead but you'd have to redesign VLS and it'd be probably too costly.

Yeah but how about a pair of ballistic missiles; one based on the SM-3 Block II airframe for the Mk41 VLS and one based on a missile that would fill one of the larger Mk57 VLS cells on the Zumwalts? In the first instance use the first 2 stages but swap out the 3rd stage/KKV with a gliding RV. With the larger missile? Who knows, maybe something similar, maybe just a guided RV.

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
sferrin said:

Yeah but how about a pair of ballistic missiles; one based on the SM-3 Block II airframe for the Mk41 VLS and one based on a missile that would fill one of the larger Mk57 VLS cells on the Zumwalts? In the first instance use the first 2 stages but swap out the 3rd stage/KKV with a gliding RV. With the larger missile? Who knows, maybe something similar, maybe just a guided RV.

What are the maximum missile sizes, height/diameter, for the Mk41 and Mk57?

bobbymike said:
sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
sferrin said:

Don't have the numbers off the top of my head. Tomahawk size and maybe 3500lbs for the Mk 41 and something like 24' x 26" dia and "max encanistered weight" of 9000lbs for the Mk57.

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
sferrin said:

Don't have the numbers off the top of my head. Tomahawk size and maybe 3500lbs for the Mk 41 and something like 24' x 26" dia and "max encanistered weight" of 9000lbs for the Mk57.

Don't mean to tax your patience with my many questions but would there be a way to estimate the range of the biggest missile possible in the Mk-57 if it had a 250 lbs SDB 'type' warhead? I am using the SDB concept because if you boosted the Boeing design with the extended wings you could probably get a good 'glide' range on top of the missiles range.

bobbymike said:
Don't mean to tax your patience with my many questions but would there be a way to estimate the range of the biggest missile possible in the Mk-57 if it had a 250 lbs SDB 'type' warhead? I am using the SDB concept because if you boosted the Boeing design with the extended wings you could probably get a good 'glide' range on top of the missiles range.

Probably. But not by me. :( Now I'm curious if there would be enough room to fit three with more compact, lower aspect ratio strakes, for higher speed glide.
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app5/sdb.html

sferrin said:

Mk 57 was amazingly hard to track down. Finally found it here (not a great site, but this appears to be an original Raytheon document):
http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Weapons/Mk57_VLS.pdf

Canister dimensions: 28-inch square, 283" length. Max encanistered weight: 9,020 lbs.

TomS said:
sferrin said:

Mk 57 was amazingly hard to track down. Finally found it here (not a great site, but this appears to be an original Raytheon document):

Canister dimensions: 28-inch square, 283" length. Max encanistered weight: 9,020 lbs.
That's where I got mine. ;) Those are probably external canister dimiensions. So figure maybe 26" dia. x 23'

sferrin said:
TomS said:
sferrin said:

That's where I got mine. ;) Those are probably external canister dimiensions. So figure maybe 26" dia. x 23'

So can anyone at SP estimate a maximum range missile with those dimensions and, let's say, a 250lbs warhead?

sferrin said:

SM-6 Block 1A is not a fork of the model like LASM, its a baseline upgrade to add land-attack capability to the missile without adversely effecting its AAW mission. Sure, it will be no bunker-buster, but it will give the Navy another option without taking anything else away. And the SM-6 warhead will ruin the day of light-skinned/exposed targets just fine.

Moose said:
SM-6 Block 1A is not a fork of the model like LASM, its a baseline upgrade to add land-attack capability to the missile without adversely effecting its AAW mission. Sure, it will be no bunker-buster, but it will give the Navy another option without taking anything else away. And the SM-6 warhead will ruin the day of light-skinned/exposed targets just fine.

Yes, yes, I know all that. About the only target that would be worth the expense though (that it could actually destroy) is if they caught, say, a Mig-29 sitting on a runway. You damn sure wouldn't want to use it to hit some sniper on a hill or some guy in a Toyota with a machine gun.

The terminal seeker should give SM-6 some capability against moving targets. One high value target set would be mobile air defense units that Growlers had geo-located but which were out of AARGM range.

Thermal seeker? They got rid of it for SM6. I don't think the AMRAAM based radar seeker will work with ground targets.

I can think of other time-critical high-value targets: coast-defense missile batteries, for starters.

Racer said:
Thermal seeker? They got rid of it for SM6. I don't think the AMRAAM based radar seeker will work with ground targets.

I'm struggling to find reliable specifications for AMRAAM's seeker bands (I'm guessing X-band RX and Ka-band TX/RX).

Ka-band and SM-6's larger aperture size (I'm guessing roughly 2X that of AMRAAM) opens up some possibilities.

Shaffer Seeks Impact Precision, Data In Upcoming Hypersonic Weapon Test

Posted: Aug. 06, 2014

The Pentagon's acting research and engineering chief said this week that terminal-phase guidance and control will be the most important and challenging aspects of an upcoming test of a faster-than-the-speed-of-sound weapon designed to rapidly strike targets that are far away and fleeting.

Speaking Tuesday at a defense acquisition modernization conference, Al Shaffer, the principal deputy assistant secretary of defense for research and engineering, explained that achieving accuracy with the Army's Advanced Hypersonic Weapon system is far more challenging than getting it to its desired speed. The AHW has its second test slated for this month.

"What I'm looking for is how close can we get to the intended place, and what type of data can we get from the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon so that we can improve our modeling capability to drive down the cost," Shaffer said.

The Army's AHW is a sub-program of Conventional Prompt Global Strike that is designed to "test and evaluate alternative booster and delivery vehicle options and will assess the feasibility of producing an affordable alternate solution to fill the CPGS capability gap," according to budget justification materials released in March.

The AHW had its first successful flight test in November 2011, when it was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii and traveled 2,400 miles to Kwajalein Atoll in the South Pacific. The results of this second test could help drive the Defense Department's plans for the multimillion-dollar CPGS program.

Shaffer said the AHW is a "really interesting concept" because it is a boost-glide program. "I don't think that we have any choice but to develop that capability because there are other nations that are developing very similar capabilities," he said.

Hypersonics, which are a personal favorite of Shaffer's, can be especially helpful in anti-access, area-denial environments because their high speeds could help penetrate integrated air defense systems. "Speed brings a certain elegance," Shaffer said. "If I'm going Mach 6, it's very hard to intercept us."

CPGS systems are intended to provide a long-range, rapid, precise, non-nuclear capability for destroying high-risk targets that appear only briefly or are heavily guarded.

In the upcoming AHW test, the vehicle will be launched from the Kodiak Launch Complex in Alaska, "using an existing three-stage strategic target system," according to a July 2014 environmental assessment. The goal is to fly nearly 3,500 miles.

"After down range booster separation, the vehicle would glide at hypersonic velocities in the upper atmosphere, prior to a land or ocean impact" in the vicinity of the Illeginni Islet at the U.S. Army Garrison, Kwajalein Atoll in the South Pacific, according to the assessment.

There are three possible impact zone scenarios. The preferred alternative is a land impact "on the northwest end of Illeginni as limited by available land mass," the assessment states. If the AHW has a land impact, it's expected to form a crater.

The other two possible impact zones are deep ocean impact either southwest of Illeginni Islet or in the broad ocean area northeast of Kwajalein Atoll. The latter option would occur if "the flight test expends more energy earlier than planned," the assessment states.

If the test is not successful, the department will analyze the data and work to do it again, Shaffer said. "By experimenting, you learn, you take some of the risk out and you do it again," he added. -- Jordana Mishory

China conducts second flight test of Wu-14:

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/china-secretly-conducts-second-flight-test-of-new-ultra-high-speed-missile/

DOD To Test Army-Developed Conventional Prompt Global Strike Candidate

Posted: Aug. 20, 2014

The Defense Department plans next week to conduct a second test of the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon -- a leading candidate for the Conventional Prompt Global Strike concept -- with a 3,500-mile shot from Alaska to the Marshall Islands that could build a case for integrating the Army-developed capability on submarines. The Army's Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command is planning the launch -- dubbed Advanced Hypersonic Weapon Flight Test 2 Hypersonic Technology Test (AHW FT2 HTT) -- for sometime between Aug. 24 and Aug. 29. The goal is to improve on a November 2011 test of the same prototype system; during that test, the weapon traveled 2,400 miles and was deemed a success. On Aug. 12, the Alaska Aerospace Corporation, a state-owned entity that runs the Kodiak Launch Complex, announced the planned rocket launch in a public safety announcement.

"This test, as with past flight tests, is designed to collect data on hypersonic boost-glide technologies and test-range performance for long-range atmospheric flight," Maureen Schumann, a spokeswoman for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, said in an Aug. 20 statement to InsideDefense.com. "This data will be used by the Department of Defense to anchor ground testing, modeling, and simulation of hypersonic flight vehicle performance and is applicable to a range of possible Conventional Prompt Global Strike concepts." The Pentagon's acquisition directorate for strategic warfare is sponsoring the Army's development of the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon, a so-called boost-glide system that pairs a three-stage rocket with a cone-shaped hypersonic glide vehicle. The AHW is designed to launch along a trajectory different than that of a ballistic missile, never leaving the atmosphere. It releases a cone-shaped glide vehicle designed by Sandia National Laboratories to travel at hypersonic speeds, defined as at least five times the speed of sound or at least 3,600 miles per hour.

The Army plans to launch the AHW from the Kodiak Launch Complex in Alaska. After separating from the booster, the payload is expected to glide at hypersonic speed and strike Illeginni Islet at the Army Garrison Kwajalein Atoll or land in the nearby ocean, according to a July 2014 Army environmental assessment describing the planned test. Since 2003, the Defense Department has explored a range of options for giving commanders new ways to strike high-value, time-sensitive targets -- from terrorists to weapons of mass destruction to anti-satellite weapons -- anywhere on the planet in about an hour. Adm. Cecil Haney, commander of U.S. Strategic Command, told the House Armed Services Committee in March that such a capability would allow the United States to go after very important targets without resorting to nuclear weapons. In addition, such a capability could provide "precision and responsiveness" in anti-access, area-denial environments, "while simultaneously minimizing unintended military, political, environmental, economic or cultural consequences," he added.

In 2008, Congress quashed Navy funding to modify submarine-launched Trident missiles to carry conventional weapons and perform the prompt strike mission over concern that such systems, when employed, could be misconstrued for nuclear launches. Air Force plans to develop a boost-glide hypersonic weapon stalled out after the Hypersonic Test Vehicle-2 project, pursued with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, resulted in test flights in 2010 and 2011 that terminated early. The Army's AHW program, with a two-flight test schedule, was originally launched as a risk-mitigation effort to support the Air Force's HTV-2 project. "However, after the HTV-2 experienced difficulties in both its flight tests, and the AHW succeeded in its single test, this system now appears to be the leading contender for the hypersonic glider portion of a boost-glide conventional prompt strike system," Amy Woolf, a defense expert with the Congressional Research Service, wrote in a May 5 report.

A successful flight test next week, according to a senior Army official, could lead to operationalizing the AHW. "Based upon the results that come from [next week's planned] test, then we'll go ahead and, again, work closely with OSD as to what they would like us to do, what the next steps are," Lt. Gen. David Mann, head of Army Space and Missile Defense Command, told the Senate Armed Services strategic forces subcommittee on March 12. "I know that they're working with the Navy also on possible utilization of this capability," Mann added.

In late March, the Navy began considering industry proposals for two-year trade studies that would flesh out technology options and architectures for a submarine-launched, boost-glide, intermediate-range conventional prompt global strike weapon (DefenseAlert, Jan. 31). The same Office of the Secretary of Defense project funding the AHW program plans in fiscal year 2015 to begin system-level testing and evaluation of a Navy conventional prompt global strike capability, according to FY-15 budget documents sent to Congress in March. -- Jason Sherman

And I'll bet they keep plugging away until it works instead of quitting at the first sign of difficulty. Unlike others *cough* HTV-2, HyFly, RATTLRS, . . .

sferrin said:
And I'll bet they keep plugging away until it works instead of quitting at the first sign of difficulty. Unlike others *cough* HTV-2, HyFly, RATTLRS, . . .

There is a HUGE, often underestimated difference between western political stop-and-go decision-making processes and PRC's (communist-style) way: the plan. Once a plan is set with its objectives, whatever the objectives, industrial forces, military forces and economic forces organize themselves to respond to the objective and reach it. Once it's defined, you can't stop it. Only exceptionnally as was the case in the late 1970s when Deng was denied the fast moving 4-modernization plan because the Vietnam war ruined the Chinese economy*. There is no show stopper today I can think of, except a profound political turmoil reshaping the Chinese state & structures of power. This is why a few years from now, we shall see an operationnal Chinese hypersonic spaceplane, a series of Chinese hypersonic PGS, a Chinese space station which will succeed the ISS and Chinese SETTLEMENT on the moon (not just a man on the moon demoed and voila, we will see something much more carefully crafted for the long run…).

A.

*) For those who don't know, this Vietnam war against China had devastating effects on the Chinese industrialization effort and ruined its economy. Which partly explains (1) why they could not fund any longer and shelved their now partly known man-in-space effort (2) why a rash of images filtered out at this time, illustrative of the extensive works thence performed. The Chinese Vietnam war disturbing for observers as it was rumored and reported in expert-levels literature, that low-energy laser weapons had been tested fort the first time ever with the consequence of "blinding" Chinese soldiers (tiny bits of this in Maj. Gen Bengt Andersberg & Dr. Myron L. Wolbarst, "Laser Weapons: The Dawn of a New Military Edge", NY: Plenum Press, 1992, pp.141-142)

Grey Havoc said:

Given that the failure would seem to be unrelated to what they're trying to test (doesn't sound like the booster even finished burning), I'd hope they wouldn't give up. Of course the cupboard is probably bare re. more test vehicles so it's probably a dead duck.

sferrin said:
Grey Havoc said:

Given that the failure would seem to be unrelated to what they're trying to test (doesn't sound like the booster even finished burning), I'd hope they wouldn't give up. Of course the cupboard is probably bare re. more test vehicles so it's probably a dead duck.

They should focus on the CTM system based on the D5 what is it 157 successful launches in a row?

bobbymike said:
They should focus on the CTM system based on the D5 what is it 157 successful launches in a row?

It's ready to go into production, but there is significant opposition to it.

quellish said:
bobbymike said:

It's ready to go into production, but there is significant opposition to it.

Politics or money?