TS-140: US Navy High Altitude VTOL Visual Fighter

nugo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I know that in the competition were:

1) Lockheed CL-349
2) Avro Canada "X-Wing" (Model ?)

I think that in the competition were still other firms, but what I do not know.
That you can add ?

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threds/6279

Attachments

• Escanear0001[1].JPG
    Escanear0001[1].JPG
    476 KB · Views: 298
  • Escanear0001-2.JPG
    Escanear0001-2.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Model 112 VTO high altitude visual fighter proposal (Spangenberg index)

Hi!

What's mean "visual"? This is first time, when I see such term in relation to aircraft :D

Hi Overscan!

overscan said:
Visual presumably means daytime only, not all weather (no radar etc)

I think about something, like this. There were a lot other aircraft (or projects), intended only for daylite operations, and this is is the first (of course, for me), where this condition has been mentioned in project name.

Cheers!
:)

3-View drawing of Lockheed CL-349 (17th variant) M=2.0+ supersonic VTOL tailsitter for USN Type Specification TS-140. Note conventional landing capability (after ventral fin jettison) -- a wise design feature.

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-349-17.jpg
    Lockheed CL-349-17.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 284
I don't think you're interpretting the drawing correctly. The ventral fin isn't jettisoned... it rotates forward.

I'm also uncertain whether it was supposed to actually land this way (using the wheel on the main ventral fin as the nosewheel, and using the two studdy aft ventrals as main "skids"), as it seems like it could only do this *once* and then the structure would be trashed. It might instead have been meant to tilt up and down while on the ground to facilitate crew boarding, though that seems like kind of a waste. Note that the "ground line" reads "static something something service position." It'd be a lot easier to rearm the thing and wipe the birdcrap off the windscreen with the vehicle lowered and horizontal.

Ryan Model 112 Visual Fighter Design

(1955-1956): As a result of the Day Fighter design study which identified Model 84 as the preferred solution, the Air Force sent a proposal request letter to Ryan (letter AC-251-3076-57) In response, Ryan undertook at their own expense an in-depth design effort based on the Model 84. The new design, now called a "Visual Fighter", designated Model 112, used two J79-GE-2 A/B engines (S.L. maximum thrust 17,000 lbs each). Aircraft weights were: empty 16,523 lbs; design VTO 26,727 (2,000 ft. 90 deg F). Only a limited amount of information was available on the Model 112 and was found in Reference 3.3.5.7. Models 115 and 115C essentially were designs based on Model 112. Many features of Model 115 were similar to Model 112.

Image of Model 115 in lieu of a Model 112 drawing:

From topic: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/11601.html

Last edited:
overscan said:
This CL-349 design is identical to one of the CL-295 designs posted here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11600.0.html

That is not necessarily an error. Here is the text that goes with the CL-349 drawing (from the Clukey archive):

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-349 Text.jpg
    Lockheed CL-349 Text.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 208
Back
Top Bottom