Savoia-Marchetti SM 88

SIAI SM-88
Twin engine triplace light bomber and combat for export. The war vanished exportation. Development continued for Regia Aeronautica. Similary at SM-91 the costruction of prototype ceased december 1942.
Year: 1939
Engine: 2 Daimler Benz DB.601 - 1.000 hp. Post DB.605
Span: 14,50 m.; lenght 12,10 m.; height 3,50 m.; wing area 32,5 mq.
Total weight 7.000 kg.
Vel max. 560 km/h. a 5.000 m.
Armament: 2 mt. x 12,7 mm. + 1 mt. x 12,7 dorsal + 600 kg. bomb.

Attachments

• SM-88_trittico.jpg
    SM-88_trittico.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 675
  • SM-88_foto.jpg
    SM-88_foto.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 561
You'll read it more extensively in our (Pelzig's and myself) Italian Secret Projects: actually the SM-88 was completed and flew for a couple of months. Simply, it was named SM-88 no more. And, the art come from Flight and depicts the Gnome-Rhone-powered export version, while the 3-views depict the in-line-powered version (DB-601s).

Skybolt said:
You'll read it more extensively in our (Pelzig's and myself) Italian Secret Projects: actually the SM-88 was completed and flew for a couple of months.

Really??!!
This is a in important update, I always belived that protitype never made it to became airborne.
There is any photo of the finished prototype or of the first flights?

There are photos of the crashed prototype after the landing accident that interupted the test program after a few flights. But you'll have to wait... sorry. BTW, it is not a "real" news, just read well my posting in the link below... ::)
Ciao paisà...

Skybolt said:
There are photos of the crashed prototype after the landing accident that interupted the test program after a few flights. But you'll have to wait... sorry. BTW, it is not a "real" news, just read well my posting in the link below... ::)
Ciao paisà...

Grazie assai!! (Many Thanks!!)

And a Model for it.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    285 KB · Views: 431
  • 2.png
    2.png
    363.9 KB · Views: 423
  • 3.png
    3.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 427
Thanks hesham for the pictures. Very nice plane to me. Can I ask the source?

Alcides said:
Thanks hesham for the pictures. Very nice plane to me. Can I ask the source?

My dear Alcides,

it's Aerofan 3/1980.

Hi!

http://alternathistory.com/italyanskie-bumazhnye-proekty-dvukhmotornik-dlya-eksporta-siai-marchetti-sm88

Attachments

• SM.88.jpg
    SM.88.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 154
How about this three side view drawing compared with real aircraft pictures?

I'm just made few screenshots from editorial house' page, don't own this book. At least comparison with S.79 demonstrate size of certain SM.88 configuration.

Interestingly, the blurb on the book - at the publishing house website - claims that a single prototype was actually built and flown!
Edit: Skybolt already mentioned this fact in this very same thread.

Last edited:
Hallo, the 3 views shown in the previous post are referring to the initial fuselage configuration (1939); project 88 was continuously developed from 1939 to 1943, when the prototype was finally tested. By then both the role and layout were the same as the S.M.91, so the final configuration (as you can see in the comparison with SM.79) was actually an 88/91 hybrid.