Vought XC-142 Developments

For all its so-called problems (partly due to its revolutionary and unorthodox design), I think the C-142 was a missed opportunity by the U.S military as a whole.

After all look at the Bell-Boeing-Vertol V-22 Osprey program – around 20-years of development, way over budget………………..

Regards
Pioneer

Here's some artwork from the Vought Archives of the C-142 if it had been developed further...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xC-142 artwork-1.jpg
    xC-142 artwork-1.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 3,359
Greetings All -

A display model in the Vought Archives collection that appears to feature most of the looks of the "developed XC-142" artwork posted earlier in topic

Thanks to Fred Harl for the photo.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xMG_8610.jpg
    xMG_8610.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 894
Greetings All -

There doesn't seem to be a specific XC-142 thread so I'll start one with these drawings of the proposed HC-142 for CSAR duties. Drawings courtesy of the Vought Archives.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xVought HC-142 General Arrangement - 1.gif
    xVought HC-142 General Arrangement - 1.gif
    331 KB · Views: 1,215
  • xVought HC-142 General Arrangement - 3.gif
    xVought HC-142 General Arrangement - 3.gif
    714.5 KB · Views: 1,122
  • xVought HC-142 Fuselage Structure.gif
    xVought HC-142 Fuselage Structure.gif
    404.8 KB · Views: 1,066
And some Navy/Marines related drawings.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• XC-142 Carrier Suitability.gif
    XC-142 Carrier Suitability.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 715
  • XC-142 Deck Arrangements.gif
    XC-142 Deck Arrangements.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 859
Thanks mark
Great find 'again'!

I always wondered how they proposed to incorporate the wing-folding of the XC-142 for carrier operations - what with the interconnectability of all four engines!

Its more compact than I would ever thought possible - although with such vibration and rigidness of the wing required - I can not but help wonder if this fing-fold may have been a potential fatigue problem in operational aircraft!

Thanks again!!

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
I always wondered how they proposed to incorporate the wing-folding of the XC-142 for carrier operations - what with the interconnectability of all four engines!

This wingfold arrangement was detailed in the Steve Ginter book on the XC-142.

Pioneer said:
Its more compact than I would ever thought possible - although with such vibration and rigidness of the wing required - I can not but help wonder if this fing-fold may have been a potential fatigue problem in operational aircraft!

No different to any other folding wing. It just adds another joint to the gearbox system which isn't so much considering the system that was allready in place. Using the tilt nature of the wing to achieve compactness is a very good solution.

Mark do you have any more details about the ASW version with the heavy duty recoverable sonar buoy?

I don't mean to be too off-topic but I'm trying to figure out what ship is supposed to be represented below the Tico and to the left of the Baltimore.

"..is supposed to be represented below the Tico and to the left of the Baltimore."

Judging the position of the lifts and the crow's nest at the tail it could be an unmodified
Essex class, I think.

Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French announcing the development of a joint-venture Vought-Hiller-Ryan V/STOL tilt-wing turboprop transport "project". This later became the Ling-Temco-Vought XC-142A and 5 prototypes were tested from 1964 onwards.

qv http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12666.0.html

The article comes from the 27th October 1961 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Vought-Hiller-Ryan VTOL project - Les Ailes - No 1,849 - 27 Octobre 1961.......jpg
    Vought-Hiller-Ryan VTOL project - Les Ailes - No 1,849 - 27 Octobre 1961.......jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 298
Thanks Terry. The project was designated as the Vought-Hiller-Ryan VHR-447 (instead of just plain V-447).
When the XC-142A was launched and Vought became the prime contractor, the designation was changed to V-464 (although other references seem to indicate that V-464 would have been the production variant—I would love to have some clarification of this from Vought experts!).

Hey gents, I've just noted the flight-refueling probe on the drawings Mark has posted!
Makes complete sense!
Again I would like to emphasis my disappointment that this design never reached operational service :mad:

Regards
Pioneer

Greetings All -

I've been doing some general clean up of my computer room/library and in the process, uncovering some material that got buried by newer material coming in. From a retired Vought employee, here's a 3 view of the "new" fuselage C-142.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zLTV C-142 New Fuselage 3 View.jpg
    zLTV C-142 New Fuselage 3 View.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 764
Hi All -

Attach are two photos of a display model of the developed C-142, quite similar to the design in the artwork. From the Vought Archives with thanks to Bill Spidle for his assistance.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zC-142 Development Model - 1.jpg
    zC-142 Development Model - 1.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 552
  • zC-142 Development Model - 2.jpg
    zC-142 Development Model - 2.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 541
In February 1965 LTV applied paper markings to the #1 XC-142
and invited airline executives to come view the potential VTOL
aircraft to serve downtown helipad type operations of the "future".

This might have been the basis for the V-478, not sure.

Photos from the VAHF archives.

Attachments

• DownTowner-Side-View-19650204.jpg
    DownTowner-Side-View-19650204.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 378
  • DownTowner-Left-Rear-View-19650204.jpg
    DownTowner-Left-Rear-View-19650204.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 259
  • DownTowner-Side-Loading-19650204.jpg
    DownTowner-Side-Loading-19650204.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 264
w-png.627637

(h/t hesham)

Thanks mark
Great find 'again'!

Thanks again!!

Regards
Pioneer

Revisiting this topic - alas ten years later....
Question if I may...did the prototype XC-142's have this wing-folding arrangement/mechanism incorporated? Or was it to be incorporated later, after prototyping test and evaluations had been completed?

Regards
Pioneer

Question if I may...did the prototype XC-142's have this wing-folding arrangement/mechanism incorporated? Or was it to be incorporated later, after prototyping test and evaluations had been completed?

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer I can find on evidence that this feature was incorporated or planned for incorporation in the XC-142 prototypes.

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer I can find on evidence that this feature was incorporated or planned for incorporation in the XC-142 prototypes.

Thank you Bill.

Regards
Pioneer

Back
Top Bottom