Register here

Author Topic: Standard Missile projects.  (Read 27185 times)

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Standard Missile projects.
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=32201

It's a fine explanation. I would only add some motivation. Specifically, because thrust deflection angles are greater than nozzle deflection angles, the supersonic split line nozzle is well suited
for volume constrained installations that prevent large nozzle deflections.

This oughta do it:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/865977.pdf

They actually made it into a book.  Yours for the low low price of $129.70.

http://www.amazon.com/Test-Firing-Supersonic-Split-Line-Nozzle/dp/B00ARRLDJS

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:36:38 pm by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2016, 09:10:33 am »
USN plans active seeker refit for SM-2 missile

The US Navy (USN) plans to introduce an active radar seeker into the Standard Missile-2 (SM-2) family as part of upgrade and obsolescence mitigation programme intended to maintain the effectiveness of SM-2 into the 2030s.

This move comes alongside activity to re-start SM-2 all-up-round (AUR) production in fiscal year (FY) 2017 to meet international customer demand through Foreign Military Sales (FMS).

Although the USN ceased procurement of new SM-2 missiles after its FY 2011 buy, the service expects to maintain the weapon in inventory for at least another 20 years. Under the FY 2017 budget plan, initial funding has been earmarked for SM-2 improvement requirements definition and risk reduction work.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline sferrin

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:37 am »
USN plans active seeker refit for SM-2 missile

The US Navy (USN) plans to introduce an active radar seeker into the Standard Missile-2 (SM-2) family as part of upgrade and obsolescence mitigation programme intended to maintain the effectiveness of SM-2 into the 2030s.

This move comes alongside activity to re-start SM-2 all-up-round (AUR) production in fiscal year (FY) 2017 to meet international customer demand through Foreign Military Sales (FMS).

Although the USN ceased procurement of new SM-2 missiles after its FY 2011 buy, the service expects to maintain the weapon in inventory for at least another 20 years. Under the FY 2017 budget plan, initial funding has been earmarked for SM-2 improvement requirements definition and risk reduction work.

Did they ever implement the maneuverability upgrade?  (TVC.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Moose

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2016, 11:26:11 am »
Not for SM-2, Block IIIc was never funded. Unfortunately, hard budgetary choices got made. I wonder how they're approaching this upgrade from a programmatic point of view.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:28:02 am by Moose »

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »
Not for SM-2, Block IIIc was never funded. Unfortunately, hard budgetary choices got made. I wonder how they're approaching this upgrade from a programmatic point of view.

There was a software based maneuverability upgrade for SM-2 Block IIIB, which IIRC, was mostly about 3D trajectory shaping to put the IIR seeker at the best aspect angle e.g. non head-on. 

From  NSWC Technical Digest 1994.

Offline Austin

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2016, 06:13:55 am »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2016, 07:36:31 am »
Well FWIW, at a recent missile defense conference in Poland there were talks of reviving EPAA Phase 4 which would mean SM3 Block II B. They also talked about making the missiles mobile. Of course a lot would depend on the next POTUS and the one after him/her.

Offline Moose

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:31 am »
Haven't seen or heard any of that discussion from Poland yet, but it's not surprising. The desire to increase performance beyond SM-3 IIA and the desire to increase EPAA beyond its Phase 3 capabilities haven't gone away, they were effectively pushed back in favor of other MDA priorities. Now that three years of RKV and additional GBI funding are taken care of, it makes sense to begin looking at the next step for Aegis/EPAA again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:38:57 am by Moose »

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:47 am »
 :'(

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2017, 10:43:22 am »
Pentagon approves SM-6 international sales

The Defense Department has approved the Standard Missile-6 for international sales, as contractor Raytheon eyes Australia, Japan and South Korea as potential customers, the company said Jan. 10.

The Pentagon cleared the SM-6 for foreign sales to "several international customers" in December, Raytheon told reporters Jan. 10 at the Surface Navy Association's annual symposium in Arlington, VA. The SM-6 is a surface-launched missile capable of anti-air, sea-based terminal and anti-surface engagements.

Thad Smith, Raytheon's head of business development for SM-6, said Australia, Japan and South Korea are potential customers because they are buying or are interested in buying the latest version of the Aegis weapon system, Baseline 9, the only combat system capable of operating the SM-6.

"Those are the only three countries that either have the correct baseline that they're going to procure or have said that they want to go procure to date," Smith said. "Now, have there been other briefings to other countries? Yes."

Australia is constructing three Hobart-class air warfare destroyers outfitted with Aegis Baseline 8. A 2016 white paper outlining the requirement for the Hobart class also delineates a need for an extended-range, active missile, according to Smith. But in order to use SM-6, Australia would need to upgrade its destroyers to Aegis Baseline 9.

Japan is buying two Baseline 9 destroyers and upgrading two others to the latest Aegis system. South Korea, meanwhile, is building three Sejong the Great-class guided missile destroyers with the Aegis Baseline 9 combat system.

Smith said some countries have sent letters of request to the U.S. government for the SM-6, but he declined to name specific nations. Letters of request formally initiate foreign military sales discussions.

The U.S. Navy is buying 1,800 SM-6 interceptors as part of its program of record. Raytheon has delivered 300 so far, according to Smith. The service requested $501 million in fiscal year 2017 to buy 125 SM-6 interceptors, with each missile costing about $4 million, according to the Navy's budget justification documents.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:09 am »
It's impossible not to notice that Raytheon's SM-6 salesman is named "Thad" (yes it's missing an "A" but even so).

Offline fredymac

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2017, 09:50:30 am »
A short history into the origins of the Standard Missile

Offline pathology_doc

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »
A short history into the origins of the Standard Missile

The historical footage is like stepping into a time machine - so Fifties!

I have a bunch of old missile engineering books from that era; the dust jacket of one of them has LITHOGRAPHS of early Talos and Falcon plan-forms on it, and an aerodynamic shape described inside another is clearly an early Talos, though not named as such. I had thought that interesting snippets about particular early variants of the 3T missiles might be obtainable from the text, but alas not.

Back on topic, I would rather be able to fling up to sixty-four SM-6 missiles over the horizon at an enemy battlegroup than be restricted to eight Harpoons, especially if I knew that a swarm of the enemy's supersonic sea-skimming SSMs were coming for me and I wasn't going to be able to stop all of them. If I can sacrifice one AEGIS destroyer to cripple the enemy surface fleet, it will be worth the trade because with the amount of work today's ships need to make them battleworthy after damage, they aren't going to be able to rebuild or repair it before the end of the war.