Register here

Author Topic: Space-X DRAGON (manned/unmanned) capsule.  (Read 49072 times)

Offline Michel Van

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Space-X DRAGON (manned/unmanned) capsule.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:23 am »
update from SpaceX Homepage on 2 june

SpaceX is now targeting Friday, June 4th for its first test launch attempt of the Falcon 9 launch vehicle.
Launch Window Opens: 11:00 AM Eastern / 8:00 AM Pacific / 1500 UTC
Launch window lasts 4 hours. SpaceX has also reserved a second launch day on Saturday 5 June, with the same hours.

as payload comes boilerplate version of DRAGON called
Dragon Spacecraft Qualification Unit (DSQU)
I love Strange Technology

Offline blackstar

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:53 am »
There's also an article by Alan Stern on how different interests may view the success or failure of this launch: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1636/1.

I thought that looked like it was written by the company's public relations department.  There's a lot of cheerleading.  And it makes some claims that are misleading, if not completely false.  The statement that nobody accepts failure in the rocket industry is wrong.  There are a number of companies that suffered initial losses and then folded:  American Rocket Company, Connestoga, the Delta III.  Even his mention of SeaLaunch is odd considering that they went bankrupt and only now are being rescued by the Russian company that builds their rockets (and therefore has a vested interest in keeping them afloat).

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 07:44:56 am »
Yes, it is a little over done. Actually feels rather defensive to me, as if written in anticipation of a lot of negative flak if there are any problems?

I do agree with Alan that SpaceX are, rightly or wrongly, something of a poster child for the commercial launch industry and that SpaceX will persist if the first Falcon 9 launch fails. As you've commented previously in this thread, however, I've no idea how deep their pockets are and so how many issues they can persist through.

Offline blackstar

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:56 am »
Well, it could be defensive.  It could also be read in a different way.

But the Falcon 9 launch is a flight test, that's all.  The symbolism attached to this flight is ridiculous.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »
From my rough calculation, they received $278 million from NASA, and they recently claimed to have spent twice that amount of their own money on the Falcon 9.  That equals $834 million.  It's not clear how much of that money went to the Falcon 1, but the comment seemed to imply that it was only money spent on Falcon 9.  It's entirely possible that they've spent a billion dollars so far, which is _much_ more than what their enthusiasts brag about.

In their pre-Falcon 9 test teleconference today, SpaceX is reported as saying their total spend from company's beginning is $350M-400M. Is the previous statement available somewhere? (or was it a verbal remark?)

Offline Archibald

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
Holly crap, THEY DID IT !!!

Falcon 9 first flight a SUCCESS !!

Bravo. Just Bravo !
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline blackstar

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 02:04:46 pm »
In their pre-Falcon 9 test teleconference today, SpaceX is reported as saying their total spend from company's beginning is $350M-400M. Is the previous statement available somewhere? (or was it a verbal remark?)

It was a Twitter comment by Jeff Foust made during a talk by the company's CEO.  Try his Twitter page.  I'd also add that there are rough calculations you can do on this.  Figure out the size of their company and then look up some information to give you a monthly "burn rate"--i.e. about how much you would expect a company like that to spend per month.  From my very poor understanding of this, $400 million would be pretty low considering how many people they employ and how long they've been in business.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:07:54 pm by blackstar »

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »
Yes, many congratulations to SpaceX. A fantastic achievement on their first Falcon 9 launch.

From http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/status.html:

It's official. SpaceX founder Elon Musk says the Falcon 9 rocket achieved a nearly perfect orbit during today's dramatic blastoff.

GPS telemetry showed the rocket's second stage and dummy Dragon capsule hit "essentially a bullseye," according to Musk.

The apogee, or high point, was about 1 percent higher than planned and the perigee, or low point, was 0.2 percent off the target. The second stage shutdown was nominal, Musk told Spaceflight Now.

The Falcon 9 was shooting for a circular orbit 250 kilometers, or 155 miles, high and an inclination of 34.5 degrees.

Video capture (no sound) of the SpaceX webcast:

I'll add official SpaceX video when available.

Update: SpaceX has posted a brief launch highlights video at http://spacex.com/multimedia/videos.php?id=51

Further Update: here's a longer SpaceX compilation video:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:40:38 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline mz

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 05:05:43 pm »
Is that second stage roll intentional? It cuts just before alleged second stage shutdown at T+8 min 50 s..

EDIT: OK seems orbit is accurate:
http://www.hobbyspace.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=21153

Any off nominal issues such as the second stage roll?
- Little more roll than expected but it didn't affect the mission.
- Will investigate the excessive roll to insure it's not a problem for future flights.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:08:03 pm by mz »

Offline TomS

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 07:01:55 pm »
This is not the first time SpaceX has had excessive roll problems -- Falcon 1 had the same issue to varying degrees on at least the first three flights. 

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:28 am »
It was a Twitter comment by Jeff Foust made during a talk by the company's CEO.  Try his Twitter page.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately Jeff is so prolific it appears I can't search his tweets back far enough :(

However, some interesting business info from Elon's post-Falcon 9 flight interview (from above hobbyspace link, thanks again to Jeff and others):

• SpaceX have spent $350-400M on Falcon 1 and 9, $150-200M on Dragon. Includes NASA and other money.
  • Not generally realized that SpaceX has been profitable for 3 years and should be for a fourth as well.
  • Independently audited. NASA also examines books closely. Major customers do as well to insure company is sound.
  • $2.5B in contracted revenue on the books.
  • Will soon be announcing several new launch contracts.
  • Several already signed but they wanted to wait till after this flight to make them public.
  • Expect to sign new customers soon as well.
  • Current pricing for F9/Dragon does not assume [first stage] reusability.
  • Long term, though, reusability is a high priority. Will examine what happened [with first stage break-up on re-entry] and try to fix the problem(s).

So SpaceX spend is more like $600M so far. They have grown very rapidly in the last 3? years, so spend for earlier years I assume would be much less than now.

The fact that income has exceeded (on-going) expenditure for 3 years already is very encouraging for longer-term sustainability. I hope those contracts turn into real launches, rather than 'options' that are too dependent on clients' own business projections working out ...

Offline blackstar

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 05:21:41 pm »
It was a Twitter comment by Jeff Foust made during a talk by the company's CEO.  Try his Twitter page.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately Jeff is so prolific it appears I can't search his tweets back far enough :(

Email him through his website.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
first independent source about Falcon 9 launch
after NORAD
Second stage and DSQU end up 232 x 242 km Orbit with 34,5 degree inclination
original orbit had to be 500 x 500 km (with 28 degree inclination?)

also show the video that second stage start to roll after ignition.
and on end of transmission show the stage beginn to somersault

source on orbit
German blog of bernd leitenberger
http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/blog/2010/06/04/falcon-9-wie-wars/
I love Strange Technology

Offline mz

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 12:27:50 pm »
first independent source about Falcon 9 launch
after NORAD
Second stage and DSQU end up 232 x 242 km Orbit with 34,5 degree inclination
original orbit had to be 500 x 500 km (with 28 degree inclination?)

also show the video that second stage start to roll after ignition.
and on end of transmission show the stage beginn to somersault

source on orbit
German blog of bernd leitenberger
http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/blog/2010/06/04/falcon-9-wie-wars/

Where is the 500x500 km target from?
The link I posted earlier contradicts that:

- The orbit was right on the money
- From SpaceX: "Nominal shutdown and orbit was almost exactly 250km. Telemetry showed essentially a bullseye: ~0.2% on perigee and ~1% on apogee."

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 05:01:38 am »
SpaceX have issued a press-release (see http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20100607), which includes:

Preliminary data indicates that Falcon 9 achieved all of its primary mission objectives, culminating in a nearly perfect insertion of the second stage and Dragon spacecraft qualification unit into the targeted 250 km (155 mi) circular orbit.

SpaceX have also published the following link http://heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=36595, so I assume they've supplied some data to the website? Here's the ground track from that page: