Small Diameter Bomb II

http://www.ndiagulfcoast.com/events/archive/33rd_symposium/day1/08_NDIA_Simpson_pdf.pdf

Thanks, I have been trying to find SDB theoretical weapons loadouts for various platforms like the B-2, B-52 and B-1. I remember reading somewhere (cannot find it now) that the B-52 in a low threat counter air environment can carry close to 200 SDB's? With GPS means 200 aimpoints per sortie, incredible.

Indeed, quite impressive.

Any details on what type of explosive and how much are in the SBD?

I hope that's just a (poor) artist's impression of what an SDB II would look like. I can't think of more complicated and impractical layouts than a forward-swept wing three-lifting surface. Are they trying to achieve post-stall maneuverability ???
The current configuration works just fine.

Lampshade111 said:
Indeed, quite impressive.

Any details on what type of explosive and how much are in the SBD?

Wikipedia says 38 lb (17 kg) of AFX-757.

The actual warload for the B-52 seems to be only 32 SDBs (one BRU-61/A rack with four SDBs on each station of the Common Strategic Rotary Launcher).

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Boeing_Developing_New_Smart_Bomb_Bay_Capability_For_B_52_999.html

The B-1 could carry 96 SDBs, because it has three Conventional Rotary Launchers that could each carry eight BRU-61 racks. (This hasn't been done yet, but it is in the Air Force's "wish list" for future projects.)

The B-2 has been widely cited as potentially carrying 216 SDBs, but Global Security has a nice dissection of why that isn't likely (short form; the weight of the SDBs and their racks would be about twice the nominal capacity of the B-2's bomb bay.)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-2.htm

well, in fact SDB II looks plain more ordinary...

Attachments

• a4a0f80e-7dcc-4e6b-a94e-fa7f35b6d8e3.Full.jpg
    a4a0f80e-7dcc-4e6b-a94e-fa7f35b6d8e3.Full.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 640
Hopefully they come up with a different nose if they want to drop them supersonically. ???

I think the weight figure stated by Wikipedia for the bomb's explosive content is rather inaccurate. I can't find any common consensus but several sources I put above Wikipedia give different weights.

sferrin said:
Hopefully they come up with a different nose if they want to drop them supersonically. ???

What makes you think they can't drop them at supersonic speed with the semi-sphere nose? Plenty of very fast things with such an aerodynamic front end.

Abraham Gubler said:
sferrin said:

What makes you think they can't drop them at supersonic speed with the semi-sphere nose? Plenty of very fast things with such an aerodynamic front end.

Just seems like it would lose velocity quicker.

http://defense-update.com/20150216_sdbii_test.html#.VOJOmMJ0ysc

Article has neat picture of SDB II's internal carriage on an F-35.

Since the F-35 news thread is currently out of action:

http://insidedefense.com/share/167668

Grey Havoc said:
Since the F-35 news thread is currently out of action:

http://insidedefense.com/share/167668

Knowing why it's out of action why would you then attempt to start it in another thread?

sferrin said:
Knowing why it's out of action why would you then attempt to start it in another thread?

We can let this pass as a post about the SDB, not about the F-35, I think ... ;)

“There’s more possible for StormBreaker – options like adding propulsion or swapping out the seeker depending on the mission. The hardware and software can cover a range of threats,” Howlett said. “It’s a very flexible weapon – one-of-kind with world class technology.”

Another key benefit of the StormBreaker system is its networking capabilities. This means one platform could launch it but hand off controls to another. That will be an important capability as the U.S. military aims to connect sensors, platforms and weapon systems across the traditional domains of land, air, sea and space.

“It’s inherent with this weapon and absolutely critical going into a more connected – JADC2 (Joint All Domain Command and Control) – battlespace environment,” Howlett said.
Raytheon Missiles & Defense used digital technologies – both tools and processes – to develop StormBreaker.

“It’s certainly an advanced weapon in terms of its design and development and how we’re architecting it for the future. It’s extremely capable now and we’re just getting started,” Howlett said.

To verify system performance, the team uses an integrated flight simulation, or IFS, and literally runs thousands of iterations in tandem with the Air Force using data from testing to continuously improve simulation accuracy.

“It allows us to find and address potential issues before real-life testing, which drives down schedule and cost,” Howlett said.

The business is also using agile methods to deliver rapid capability updates through software changes.

“Each aircraft has unique software, so we need to ensure we’re integrating appropriately with that software,” Howlett said.
In 2020, the Air Force cleared the system for use on the F-15E, making it the first aircraft to carry the weapon. After achieving this milestone, the Air Force and Raytheon Missiles & Defense dropped 14 StormBreaker smart weapons in the 2021 Weapons System Evaluation Program. The successful evaluation and tactics development paves the way for its use by combat air forces.

The F-15E can carry five groups of four StormBreaker smart weapons, for a total of 20 munitions. Depending on the mission, the F-15EX Strike Eagle II can carry more than 16 StormBreaker weapons.

The F/A-18E/F Super Hornet will be the second fighter jet to add the weapon when it reaches initial operating capability.

Raytheon Missiles & Defense is integrating the StormBreaker weapon on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The first-ever StormBreaker munition drop test from an F-35 was conducted in late 2021 to test the communication link between the weapon and a secondary aircraft.

In regards to the Boeing/SAAB GLSDB I wonder if the team has also considered the SDBII?

In regards to the Boeing/SAAB GLSDB I wonder if the team has also considered the SDBII?

SDB-I is a Boeing product, SDB-II is Raytheon. I can't imagine Boeing privately offering a weapon system based on someone else's payload, and I can't imagine Raytheon permitting it anyway.

SDB-I is a Boeing product, SDB-II is Raytheon. I can't imagine Boeing privately offering a weapon system based on someone else's payload, and I can't imagine Raytheon permitting it anyway.
While true, if the same interstage fits both SDB1 and SDB2 it's going to work.

I can't imagine Boeing privately offering a weapon system based on someone else's payload, and I can't imagine Raytheon permitting it anyway.

If the US DoD is paying for the manufacture of GLSDB I can see it making the two companies get together and paying them to work out the details.

While true, if the same interstage fits both SDB1 and SDB2 it's going to work.

A good point, if the SDBI and SDBII boat-tails are the same with the same diameter then the booster adapter should fit otherwise it should be hard for a modified booster adapter be designed and built to mount the SDBII to the booster.

If the US DoD is paying for the manufacture of GLSDB I can see it making the two companies get together and paying them to work out the details.

It can be done, certainly, but it would be a very odd relationship. And given that it's an acquisition not for DoD but strictly for Ukraine, it seems like sticking to the nearly off-the-shelf version is far more sensible.

And Boeing of course had it own SDB-II design and a version of SDB-I with a laser seeker, either of which might be preferable.

No reason to think it would be the same. SDB1 has a rounded square cross-section at the tail, while SDB2 is round.
Ah, is that the case? bugger.

Well, time for Raytheon to make their own GLSDB2 interstage...

And given that it's an acquisition not for DoD but strictly for Ukraine, it seems like sticking to the nearly off-the-shelf version is far more sensible.

If it is produced for Ukraine and it is used with great success (To the detriment of the Russian of course) I can see the US DoD taking notice along with other countries using MLRS and wanting to add a GLSDBII to their inventory (Taiwan would no doubt love it).

And Boeing of course had it own SDB-II design

Which hasn't been put into production.

a version of SDB-I with a laser seeker

True but the problem with such a seeker is that you need a laser-designator within line of sight of the target.

True but the problem with such a seeker is that you need a laser-designator within line of sight of the target.
Which is why I was asking about GLSDB2. IIR and MMWR are much more conducive to the kinds of strikes that Ukraine needs to make.

Which is why I was asking about GLSDB2. IIR and MMWR are much more conducive to the kinds of strikes that Ukraine needs to make.
On the other hand, the average UAF soldier probably has designating-capable quads down to the backpack level.
Id argue that a thermobaric SDB-I to knock out the various trenches that block Ukrainian advances would be a godsend for the current stagnating situation.

On the other hand, the average UAF soldier probably has designating-capable quads down to the backpack level.
Id argue that a thermobaric SDB-I to knock out the various trenches that block Ukrainian advances would be a godsend for the current stagnating situation.

Hitting trenches with extended-range standoff weapons seems counterintuitive. After all, your troops and general purpose artillery need to be close by to exploit a breached trenchline.

The existing GMLRS-AW seems like it would be fine, and a better (easier) platform for a thermobaric warhead if desired. Remember, the SDB warhead is tiny (36 lbs HE) compared to 200 lbs for GMLRS.

The existing GMLRS-AW seems like it would be fine, and a better (easier) platform for a thermobaric warhead if desired. Remember, the SDB warhead is tiny (36 lbs HE) compared to 200 lbs for GMLRS.
38lbs.