Register here

Author Topic: Textron break up imminent?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Pyrrhic victory

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • This is going to hurt
Textron break up imminent?
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:58 pm »
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/09/ap6276526.html

Looks like the credit crisis and economic downturn has sunk one defense contractor.

A UAE-Kuwaiti consortium are looking to buy up Textron's civil assets at a high price.  Defense businesses will probably go to Lock-Mart or Raytheon.

Offline KJ_Lesnick

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Textron break up imminent?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:36:17 pm »
What does Textron do?

This is really annoying that more and more of our businesses end up getting bought off by other countries.  We really need to employ a little protectionism -- not totally of course, but we shouldn't have industries vital to our defense in the hands of other countries.

KJ Lesnick

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:22:05 am »
What does Textron do?

They own both Cessna and Bell Helicopters.

Given the spotty performance record of Bell, especially in regards to the ARH-70 program, I'm not really surprised.

And as for foreign ownership, I'm not all that bothered by the Kuwaitis or UAE.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.
- Skydrol from Airliners.net

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:25:09 am »
What does Textron do?

This is really annoying that more and more of our businesses end up getting bought off by other countries.  We really need to employ a little protectionism -- not totally of course, but we shouldn't have industries vital to our defense in the hands of other countries.

KJ Lesnick

Why not just have a look at their website:  http://www.textron.com/

Re protectionism - apart from the ITAR, The Buy American Act, The Berry Amendment  what more do you want.  The USA already practices protectionist policies quite a bit in the Defence realm.  I would also note that these often backfire and end up hurting US companies more than help them.  Especially in these difficult economic times, protectionism is a simplistic, dangerous route to take that will only make things worse!

Regards,

Greg

Offline V8Interceptor

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:05 am »
 I live in the Providence (RI) area and this will hit like a ton of bricks, the state is already in the top 10% as far as unemployment goes...

Offline yasotay

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 05:05:28 pm »
Interesting... wonder what that will do to the Bell/Boeing work on V-22?