Pelzig

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
This book, to be released this coming Fall from Ian Allan Publishing, will continue their x-plane series, taking it into the realm of Japanese experimental aircraft. Page count will be over 144 pages, hard cover.

Content in the book include:

Kawasaki Ki-64
Kawasaki Ki-88
Kawasaki Ki-91
Kawasaki Ki-94-I
Kawasaki Ki-94-II
Kayaba Katsuodori
Kokusai Ta-Go
Maeda Ku-6
Manshu Ki-98
Mitsubishi Ki-73
Nakajima Ki-87
Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi
Nakajima Ki-201 Karyu
Rikugun Ki-93
Rikugun Ki-202
Rikugun Kogiken series
Tachikawa Ki-74
"Tachikawa Ki-162" and other IJA jet projects

IJN:

Kawanishi Baika
Kawanishi H11K Soku
Kawanishi K-200
Kugisho MXY6
Kugisho MXY7 Oka
Kugisho MXY8/9 Akigusa/Shuka
Kugisho High Speed Projects
Kugisho R2Y Keiun
Kugisho Tenga
Kyushu J7W Shinden
Mitsubishi G7M Taizan
Mitsubishi J4M Senden
Mitsubishi J8M Syusui
Mitsubishi-Payen Pa.400/Suzukaze 20
Mizuno Shinryu II
Nakajima Kitsuka
Nakajima Fugaku

Other Aircraft:

S-31 Kurowashi
Mitsubishi T.K.4 Type 0
Nakajima AT27
T.K.19

Weapon Systems:

Funryu missile series
I-Go missile series
Special Bombs and other munitions
Fu-Go balloon bomb

Art comes from talents such as Peter Allen, Kelcey Faulkner, Muneo Hosaka, Gino Marcomini, Ronnie Olsthoorn, and Daniel Uhr among some others.

The cover illustration was done by Ronnie Olsthoorn and can also be seen here:

http://www.digitalaviationart.com/jsp_cover_small.jpg

Hope you all keep an eye out for it if Japanese aviation is your thing. ;D

Cheers,

Ed

Attachments

• Japanese Secret Project_cover_small.jpg
    Japanese Secret Project_cover_small.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 958
Added to my wish list. Thanks for the info!

Hi Ed,

it`s a long time since Hikoki 1946. I will buy the book, that`s for sure. Anything on the Kawanishi E11K1, K-60 and K-120 flying Boats? Cheers.

It has, indeed. While some of the aircraft in the book are found on the site, the book information has been reviewed, researched, revised, and updated as required.

As for the E11K1, K-60, and K-120...because of the constraints on the book size, I had to make some hard choices as to what made it in and so those three Kawanishi designs lost out to the H11K and the K-200. In any case, the E11K1 was outside the date range, having been designed prior to 1939.

It is very likely that if this publication proves a success, a follow up will be done and those that didn't make the cut can get their chance.

Cheers,

Ed

Wurger said:
Hi Ed,

it`s a long time since Hikoki 1946. I will buy the book, that`s for sure. Anything on the Kawanishi E11K1, K-60 and K-120 flying Boats? Cheers.

Great to see this announced so soon, Ed!

It's been awhile since I produced some all-new "1946" stuff, let alone having a new front cover to my credit. This sure is a great 'come back'. Thanks for getting me on board with this excellent book project. I have been (and still am!) really enjoying doing artwork of these weird contraptions! B)

Cheers,

Ronnie Olsthoorn

PS. Having lurked around this forum for a while, this is actually my first post, but definitely not the last. Great forum you guys got going here!

I am very happy to see this surprising, wonderful good news. Thank you very much Edwin!

Another excellent book in the process! Looks like it contains variety of interesting projects. Hikoki 46 intorduced me to most of the unknown Japanese projects a long time ago when I first became fascinated with 'Secret Projects'. With newer material and research it should be worth the price.

Wow this is great!

Add it to my list too!

Any word on when they might do "American Secret Projects - Bombers"?

saturncanuck said:
Any word on when they might do "American Secret Projects - Bombers"?

See http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6131.msg50428/topicseen.html#msg50428 ;)

It's definitely on my wish list, very much looking forward to it! I've got all but the American fighter book at the moment and really like a lot of the Japanese designs. Just wondering if there are enough projects left for a second Japanese book?
And I wouldn't refuse a volume on Italian Projects too!

Paul Harrison

Greetings, Paul:

There are more than enough wartime projects remaining to warrant a second book and it is being considered. Even more aircraft can be discussed if I widen the date range to include some of the more interesting pre-war designs.

As for Italian secret projects, your wish may just come true. ;D

Green Dragon said:
It's definitely on my wish list, very much looking forward to it! I've got all but the American fighter book at the moment and really like a lot of the Japanese designs. Just wondering if there are enough projects left for a second Japanese book?
And I wouldn't refuse a volume on Italian Projects too!

Paul Harrison

Hi Ed :),

do you intend to include experimental aircraft engines too? The japanese had some interesting developments in this category, e.g. steam turbines, turbojets, turboprops, multirow radials and multibank liquid-cooled ones...

Great news on the Japanese book. It should make a great companion to Rene Francillon's Putnam volume, which is one of my favorites.

By the way, unless I missed something, the Soviet series seem to be post-war only, any chance we'll see a pre-1945 Soviet secret projects volume?

Unfortunately, there is not a specific section on engines in the book. To cover that topic in depth likely could have filled the book itself which meant less aircraft being discussed.

However, where applicable, information is provided on various engines. For example, the Nakajima Kitsuka chapter covers the Japanese turbojet development from the Ne 10 through to the Ne 330. Another would be the Yokosuka YE3 series of X-engines discussed in relation to the S-31 Kurowashi.

I also took the steps to actually describe to the reader what a H-engine, X-engine, ramjet, pulsejet, etc. is so they have a understanding and don't have to put down the book to go look it up.

I wanted to avoid a simple, bland description of each aircraft and instead, added relevant information over and above to make it more interesting to read and still be on topic. In most of the aircraft chapters is a section called Contemporaries that gives the reader the names of aircraft of other nations that were similar in mission and design. Only the names are given as, to describe them would detract from the main topics at hand but the reader can check them out for themselves which, in turn, it is hoped their knowledge of aviation history will be expanded.

;D

Wurger said:
Hi Ed :),

do you intend to include experimental aircraft engines too? The japanese had some interesting developments in this category, e.g. steam turbines, turbojets, turboprops, multirow radials and multibank liquid-cooled ones...

Midland actually did put out a Soviet x-plane book in 2000, "Soviet X-Planes" by Yefim Gordon and Bill Gunston. It covered wartime projects as well as post-war. It was not, however, part of the Midland secret project book line.

Cheers,

Ed

Mole said:
Great news on the Japanese book. It should make a great companion to Rene Francillon's Putnam volume, which is one of my favorites.

By the way, unless I missed something, the Soviet series seem to be post-war only, any chance we'll see a pre-1945 Soviet secret projects volume?

Pelzig said:
Even more aircraft can be discussed if I widen the date range to include some of the more interesting pre-war designs.

Yes, please do include pre-war designs.
BSP: Fighters & Bombers 1935-1950 is my favourite of that series.

Jon

Loren said:
Can we hope for a book or two of French Projects?
For the post-WW2 period, the two books (in French) of Jean Cuny are covering most of the military projects.
But It is true that for the pre-1944 period....nothing yet.

I actually did bring up pre-WW2 and WW2 French x-planes as a possible book project but one on Italian x-planes found more favor this time out. And, speaking of that, the groundwork is underway for said book on Italian planes and it is shaping up to be a pretty spectacular production. ;D

Loren said:
Can we hope for a book or two of French Projects?

Pelzig said:
And, speaking of that, the groundwork is underway for said book on Italian planes and it is shaping up to be a pretty spectacular production. ;D

Please put me on the waiting list..........

Cheers,

Wow, the Japanese one and a book on Italian projects? I have to admit, I never would have thought we'd see these were I asked before they were announced. As a huge fan of the series, I'll be happily buying these.

As an aside, will the Italian book be covering the P.108 follow-ups?

Matt

hello Ed at last somthing about the Japanese projects im a fanatic fan of Japanese ww2 aviation!
I buying this book thats for sure!! and i hope like many others that a second book of this subject is coming out some day.
I see this book as a hommage to the creative Japanese engineers of that time,most western people dit not know that de Japanese were as good as the other ww2 combatants!
If they not lost the war they were one of the biggest aircraft builders of the world,insted of the US and Russia!
I hope your book will be a succes!
best regards T-50

Greetings, Matt:

I certainly hope the Japanese x-plane book meets expectations. ;D

As for the Italian book, the details are not yet solidified but once they are, a post will certainly be made. I can say it is doubtful that the Italian book will fall within Midland's "secret projects" line. Instead, it will very likely be a stand alone book. It also won't be just on WW2 military aircraft. Instead, it will combine both civilian and military aircraft from near the close of WW1 up to and slightly beyond 1945 and covering those designs that were highly unique, interesting, and unusual. So far, around 45-50 planes are in contention and once the book plan is finalized, a listing of those planes to be covered will definitely be posted. :)

Cheers,

Ed

ninjrk said:
Wow, the Japanese one and a book on Italian projects? I have to admit, I never would have thought we'd see these were I asked before they were announced. As a huge fan of the series, I'll be happily buying these.

As an aside, will the Italian book be covering the P.108 follow-ups?

Matt

I can give no other answer save it is scheduled to be released this Fall. The book is currently undergoing editing and compilation. For sure, once I know a more solid date, I'll let folks know. :D

Cheers,

Ed

airman said:
for which month is planned "Secret Japanese Aircraft" of Midland ?
??? ???

I've heard either a November 2009 release or January 2010 release. As always, subject to change. But, that is what I have so far. :)

airman said:
Pelzig updates us when your book is avaible ! ::) ::)

Pelzig said:
I've heard either a November 2009 release or January 2010 release. As always, subject to change. But, that is what I have so far. :)

airman said:
Pelzig updates us when your book is avaible ! ::) ::)

I hope so I cant wait to have a copy!!
T-50

Amazon is saying October 1, 2009 but then they are saying to sign up to get an e-mail when actually available.

Hmm! I would have expected it to appear on Amazon.com after Ian Allan released it on their own site. I suspect, though, that the book will be bigger than 144 pages unless they did some creative layouts with the art and text.

An October release would be most welcome, I'm sure, as that is earlier than I've heard to date.

;D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japanese-Secret-Projects-Experimental-1939-1945/dp/1857803175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242393751&sr=8-1

oh, it's right ! :eek: :eek:

The page count on Amazon is wrong and I suspect so is the price. I wonder... if you pre-order it now and the price turns out to be higher, will Amazon sell it at the originally agreed price? ::) ;)
Not that it matters to me personally, I am hoping for a courtesy copy of course ;D ;D ;D

Sheesh! It hasn't even hit the shelves and it is on sale! Well, I guess that is a win for buyers! :eek:

I'm pretty sure the page count is on the low side. The edited manuscript was 256 pages alone, without art. But that was not in triple column form. But, we'll see how it goes when the mock-up of the book is done prior to being sent off for printing.

And yep...a comp copy has your name on it. :D

Skyraider3D said:
The page count on Amazon is wrong and I suspect so is the price. I wonder... if you pre-order it now and the price turns out to be higher, will Amazon sell it at the originally agreed price? ::) ;)
Not that it matters to me personally, I am hoping for a courtesy copy of course ;D ;D ;D