Secret Aerospace Projects of the U.S. Navy Vol. 1 1948-1949 OUT NOW!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the comprehensive story of some of the most radical attack
aircraft ever designed to operate from an aircraft carrier. These incredible
projects were developed in 1948 to equip the USS United States,
an immense 65,000-ton supercarrier that was to have been the core
of the Navy s nascent strategic nuclear bombardment capability. Legendary
aerospace companies such as Convair, Curtiss-Wright, Douglas,
Fairchild, Lockheed, Martin, North American, Northrop, and Republic
would each submit proposals to the competitions. Varying widely in
appearance, these studies ranged from Douglas's relatively small and
modern Model 593 to their unconventional Model 1186 series, which
was inspired by the X-3 Stiletto and featured a small parasite aircraft
mounted atop a gigantic missile. Recently declassified, details of these
fascinating projects are presented here for the first time.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aerospace-Projects-U-S-Navy/dp/0764332295/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228067533&sr=1-1

Attachments

• zichek.jpg
    zichek.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,034
Re: Secret Aerospace Projects of the U.S. Navy Vol. 1 1948-1949

wow!!, thanks a lot. I'm going to order it immediately. I think we are going to enjoy great moments with Mr Zichek books!

BTW, a Douglas project in the cover. Another Stiletto derivative.

The bird on the cover looks like one of the projects in Scott's US Bomber Projects preview. But I like it! I know what I'm asking Santa for this year.

I just spoke with my editor, and he estimates that the book will show up in in their warehouse by February/early March. Promise to do a long post about this with plenty of preview images later this month!

R\Jared

Thanks for publishing the book. I just ordered it via Amazon.com.

Wow, big surprise. :eek: Amazon says that they just shipped my copy (will arive inside first week of January...). So, this is the first time ever a secret projects book becomes available BEFORE the due date... good omen for Jared !

Re: Secret Aerospace Projects of the U.S. Navy Vol. 1 1948-1949 OUT NOW!!!

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Well, surprising news indeed Skybolt.

As Homer Simpson would say: WooooWoooo!!! The mailman just dropped mine off. Incredible! I live in Sanford, FL, which in the 50's & 60's was home to Heavy Attack Wing One(Savages, Skywarriors, and Vigi's) so this book is of much interest to me.
Jared, I notice this is Vol.1. Do you know what Vol.2 will be about or will that be by another author?

Wow, you got yours before I got my complimentary author's copies! You are a lucky guy. My initial idea was to do a series of books covering US Navy aircraft, helo and missile projects from the 1920's throught the late 50's. I am now more inclined to publish my research through my own journal (which you can read about at aeroarchivepress.com), as I have much greater control over how the material is presented and better royalties. We'll see how the sales are for this one though.

I had no idea this would be out so soon - would have done a comprehensive preview of the book sooner (a slideshow on my site, like I did for the XF8B-1 book). I've been working on laying out issue 3 of the American Aerospace Archive (covering some very interesting USAF strategic bomber projects from 1946), but will set this aside to prep the preview.

I've been working on laying out issue 3 of the American Aerospace Archive (covering some very interesting USAF strategic bomber projects from 1946), but will set this aside to prep the preview.

Great!!!

(My little personal wish...it would be fantastic to see also pre-1945 US bomber projects too)

mmm, 1946 bomber projects ... Original Heavy Bombardment specification, I suppose (Boeing, Convair and Martin, at least...).

Secret Aerospace Projects of the USN Vol. 1 - Comprehensive Preview Now Up!

3133342729_37c7c6c563.jpg

Secret Aerospace Projects of the US Navy, Volume 1: The Incredible Attack Aircraft of the USS United States, 1948-1948 is now out! As promised, I have completed a thumbnail slide show at <a href="http://aeroarchivepress.com/?p=194">aeroarchivepress.com</a>, where you may preview the entire contents of the book. As you will see, this is a project enthusiast's dream, with approximately 15 main types presented in copious detail, along with scores of variants and offshoots.

The book tells the story of some of the most radical attack aircraft ever designed to operate from an aircraft carrier. These incredible projects were developed in 1948 to equip the USS United States, an immense 65,000-ton supercarrier that was to have been the core of the Navy’s nascent strategic nuclear bombardment capability. The ship was a substantial departure from traditional carrier design, with a fully submersible bridge that permitted the operation of aircraft of unprecedented size and weight. Two classes of attack aircraft were to have equipped this mighty ship: the Class VA, Heavy Attack and Class VA, Long Range Special Attack. Legendary aerospace companies such as Convair, Curtiss-Wright, Douglas, Fairchild, Lockheed, Martin, North American, Northrop, and Republic would each submit proposals to the competitions. Recently declassified, details of these fascinating projects are presented here for the first time.

Varying widely in appearance, these studies ranged from Douglas’s relatively small and modern Model 593 to their unconventional Model 1186 series, which was inspired by the X-3 Stiletto and featured a small parasite aircraft mounted atop a gigantic missile. They are representative of a postwar aerospace engineering revolution that produced great advances in high speed aircraft design, jet engine development, and offensive nuclear capability. Unfortunately for the Navy, the USS United States and its aircraft complement were abruptly cancelled on April 23, 1949 at the behest of the Air Force, sparking the infamous “Revolt of the Admirals.” Only one of the aircraft proposals would survive the cancellation and reach production; while smaller and less capable than its competitors, it would go on to have a long and distinguished career in the Navy. Featuring an authoritative text and hundreds of previously unpublished illustrations and photos, this book belongs in the library of any serious student of naval aviation and Cold War history.

Published by Schiffer, this 11” x 8 ½” landscape hardcover book comes with a dust jacket and features 232 copiously illustrated pages printed on semi-gloss paper stock with a sewn binding. It is reasonably priced at $37.79 on <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Aerospace-Projects-U-S-Navy/dp/0764332295/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1G6UQ0VOPMBID&colid=2XHDPDH2C7T06">Amazon.com</a>. For those who have purchased the book and enjoyed it, please take a few moments and add a quick review on Amazon. A few positive reviews can really help sales!

Best Regards,

Jared Zichek

Re: Secret Aerospace Projects of the USN Vol. 1 - Comprehensive Preview Now Up!

jzichek said:

3133342729_37c7c6c563.jpg

Secret Aerospace Projects of the US Navy, Volume 1: The Incredible Attack Aircraft of the USS United States, 1948-1948 is now out! As promised, I have completed a thumbnail slide show at <a href="http://aeroarchivepress.com/?p=194">aeroarchivepress.com</a>, where you may preview the entire contents of the book.

Thanks for the slide show.
That made me move up my purchase !
Best of luck with the book !

Larry

I've placed 5 brand new copies of this book up for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150317779991&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

They are available now under "Buy It Now" at $35.90 for US customers ($31.95 + $3.95 shipping via Media Mail); this is a few bucks cheaper than Amazon, and you don't have to wait 3-5 weeks to get it. I will also ship books to Canada, Europe, Japan, and Australia via USPS Airmail (see the listing on eBay to calculate postage for those destinations). If you'd like a personalized autograph at no additional cost, let me know.

AL said:
... I live in Sanford, FL, which in the 50's & 60's was home to Heavy Attack Wing One(Savages, Skywarriors, and Vigi's) so this book is of much interest to me.

Your post reminded me of a childhood (and still) hero of mine. He was based at Sanford when not at sea.
He was an A-3 Skywarrior pilot I met in my childhood days at Selfridge Field (Michigan).
He was an uncle of one of my best friends and had brought his A-3 up to
Michigan on a training flight. This was also a good opportunity to visit family in the Detroit area.
I was invited to attend and my friend and I got the grand tour. We were able to sit in the cockpit with real
flight helmets on. I mean for a kid who was nuts about airplanes, it couldn't get any better then this!
He later transitioned to the Vigilante.

Jared, I was set to order but the international shipping method costs as much as the book. I'd rather you got more money than the US Postal Service!

Yes, international shipping is unfortunately high - I chose the least expensive airmail option, and it still ends up being over $30 because the book weighs over 3 lbs. USPS no longer does surface mail, which used to be significantly cheaper, though you had to wait an eternity.

However, shipping is only $3.95 for US customers, resulting in a total book cost of $35.90 - a couple bucks cheaper than on Amazon, even with their free shipping. It's a good deal!

I am now officially sold out! Thanks to everyone who ordered; these will go out this afternoon via media mail (for domestic orders) and first class airmail (for international).

nugo said:
Anyone can give the content of the books or Index?

jzichek said:
As promised, I have completed a thumbnail slide show at <a href="http://aeroarchivepress.com/?p=194">aeroarchivepress.com</a>, where you may preview the entire contents of the book.

Now if we could get a book like that called say, "ATF: From 1975 - 2005". ;)

Well, boys, it is a great book. Trust me. And I buy more or less everything on the SP subject. What's more, Jared demonstrates that in the National Archives there is, well, a lot.... A good omen for (private) investigators...

News from Central Europe: amazon.com has delivered my copy yesterday (ordered on 24th Dec - just before overscan noticed it's temporarily out of stock). Actually nothing more to say: BUY IT! There is all inside what you need: The background for the specifications, descriptions of all contenders with a huge amount of original documents, etc.

Jared, after a first check of the book I hope we'll see not only this Vol. 1 of the Secret Aerospace Projects Of The U.S. Navy, but a growing series of further volumes :) .

Received my copy today.

Congratulations Jared, you did an excellent work!

The bulk of the data seems to come from the National Archives. But *which* National Archives facility? If it was the College Park, MD, facility, I shall scream and use foul language, as when I was there nobody had the slightest clue as to whether they had item one regarding aircraft.

Skybolt said:
Well, boys, it is a great book. Trust me. And I buy more or less everything on the SP subject. What's more, Jared demonstrates that in the National Archives there is, well, a lot.... A good omen for (private) investigators...

The thing that amazes me is that there was enough info for a complete book on what was essentially a one or two year study apparently. Imagine a book like that on the TFX or LRI etc.

Just sayin' there's probably a ton of stuff out there yet to be discovered.

Back
Top Bottom