Bell Model 204 / XH-40 / UH-1 Iroquois competitors, projects and modifications

Beautiful photo of the Bell Model 533 in flight:

Attachments

• Bell 533 in flight.jpg
    Bell 533 in flight.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 387
Kiltonge said:
Advertising spread for the 211 Huey Tug ( or HueyTug as Bell rendered it )

Thanks a lot for this. Pics of the Model 211 are pretty hard to come by!

Attachments

• Add_Bell_h-40_sobchak_1584x1188.jpg
    Add_Bell_h-40_sobchak_1584x1188.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 301
After reading this topic I'm rediscovered Bell UH-1 for myself.
Very wise and simple design, allowing very long life in many services.

Ad with H-40 contains a 3-view of helicopter, which differs from the photos in the same ad - sliding doors have been less wider and entire fuselage seems to be shorter.
Could someone point me, is this 3-view based on some previous actually build prototype, or it's just a preliminary project, a step to the basic configuration?

And a very simple question - what is "Huey" mean?

"Huey" was a common south eastern US nickname for a male, generally used for someone a little on the large side. For example there is a town in Alabama called "Hueytown". Also, there was a cartoon character called Baby Huey.
"Baby Huey".

The helicopter gained this name when the the type designation HU-1A was introduced. Spell it Huia, and then pronounce it :D. If the US Army had come with a designation system that called it the BUD-1, today we would call it the "Buddy" ;)

I think the original prototype Bell Model 204 had the US military designation H-40, changing later to the US Army designation HU-1A, and finally becoming the UH-1A when the tri-service designaters were introduced.

Bill Walker is right.
Three XH-40 prototypes were ordered with serials 55 4459/4461 in May 1955 and the first flight took place on 22 October 1956. Following this a further development batch of 6 YH-40s with serials 56 6723/6728 was ordered on 19 October 1956. On 18 September 1962 the remaining XH-40s and YH-40s were redesignated as XH-40A. Production of the Bell 204, named Iroquois, took place under the HU-1A which were redesignated as UH-1A on 18 September 1962.
There was also an XH-48A designation for the prototype of a missile site support helicopter for the USAF with serial 63-13141.

Dear Bill Walker and Jos Heyman!

Thanks a lot for comprehensive answers!

Bill Walker said:
"Huey" was a common south eastern US nickname for a male, generally used for someone a little on the large side. For example there is a town in Alabama called "Hueytown". Also, there was a cartoon character called Baby Huey.

Surely this cartoon not only contains answer to my question about origin of helicopter's nickname, but a fun story as well.
You made my day!

Although my question about 3-view still unanswered... Perhaps for just a time?

While I like the story of the portly southern gentleman as part of the legacy, there is also the point that the Utility Helicopter - 1 was originally classified as a Helicopter, Utility - 1.
HU-1 most likely got translated into "We have flying in HU's (spoken: 'Hueys') today." And "Woohoo! I'm getting a Huey transition!" Rolls off the tongue easier.
At least that is the lore I got told back when I was flying them.

(Edit) Sorry did not fully read Bill Walker's post.

The Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker, Alabama, is restoring the XH-40 prototype.
Fort Rucker, Alabama, June 2015. Mitchell estimates it will take one year to refurbish the Huey, and once it's ready, the organization is planning a big celebration, welcoming the aircraft back to Fort Rucker for display at the museum.
Video via sobchakvideos:

https://youtu.be/_2-_qj_V20w
Code:
https://youtu.be/_2-_qj_V20w

News link:
http://www.southeastsun.com/news/article_45ce86fa-16c7-11e5-9e09-8b972d3a05e5.html

Silencer1 said:

I only happened on this thread's recent developments now, and this is a very interesting question indeed.

After checking my XH-40 file, I could find only three other images featuring this window arrangement: one is a scale model appearing in an article when the program was made public, and the other two apparently show the first prototype in an early form (unless it's a mockup, which is also possible).

Attachments

• first view.JPG
    first view.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 715
  • XH-40_4.jpg
    XH-40_4.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 696
  • 4562029364_13c3f31dd1.jpg
    4562029364_13c3f31dd1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 665
Dear Skyblazer!

Thanks for sharing the pictures of initial version!
This is, that I'm looking for.

I wonder is the Bell company experience in P-39 and P-63 fighters with middle-placed engine, extension shaft any gearbox helps it the design of helicopters?
At least, they have bold ideas, how to did that. ;)

Silencer1 said:
And a very simple question - what is "Huey" mean?

"Call for Huey" is old soldier slang for vomiting. Combined with the original designation of HU-1A, pronounced Heww-one-ayy, its nickname was pretty much inevitable.

~~

Found some more details of the 211 HueyTug in an unlikely place, Proceedings of the Merchant Marine Council 1970:

The Bell Helicopter Co. using their "Huey Tug" lifted the 5,400-pound capsule from
the water and demonstrated the ability of the capsule to be delivered by airlift to survivors.

The capsule was dropped from altitudes of 10, 15, and 35 feet without sustaining any
damage. With a single suspension pendant it was easily hooked onto the external
cargo hook below the helicopter. Release of the capsule can be made from inside the
capsule, on top of it, or from the helicopter when the strain is off the pendant or from
within the helicopter with the strain on the pendant.

The "Huey Tug" is capable of delivering the capsule at a weight of 6,000 pounds 125 miles
and returning to its point of departure (no wind conditions). The tug experienced no
difficulty in flying with the capsule with speeds up to 100 miles per hour. There was no
tendency of the capsule to oscillate in flight.

The "Huey Tug" was reported, by company representatives, to have lifted loads up to 8,000
pounds.

www.uscg.mil/proceedings/archive/1970/Vol27_No9_Sep1970.pdf

Attached is a photo of the capsule trials from University of Texas website.

Also a fairly excoriating Army Preliminary Evaluation found on DTIC. What I hadn't read before about the 211 was that the rotor-mast was also extended vertically by 12 inches, perhaps to give sufficient boom & TR clearance for the larger rotor. Quite evident in photos now that I know to look.

The helicopter had eight deficiencies which require mandatory corrections. Two of these are
major design deficiencies that may require extensive engineering redesign.

They are the directional oscillations in the 30 to 60 KIAS airspeed range, especially prevalent
during heavy sling load missions; .lack of sufficient directional control margin during high
gross weight (14,000 pounds) and high density altitude (above 4000 feet) conditions.

www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/849063.pdf

Attachments

• Bell_211_Lake _Arlington_TX_1970.jpeg
    Bell_211_Lake _Arlington_TX_1970.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 480
Thanks Kiltonge. Information on the 211 is scarce, so this is appreciated.

Skyblazer said:
Silencer1 said:

I only happened on this thread's recent developments now, and this is a very interesting question indeed.

After checking my XH-40 file, I could find only three other images featuring this window arrangement: one is a scale model appearing in an article when the program was made public, and the other two apparently show the first prototype in an early form (unless it's a mockup, which is also possible).

A clearer view;

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 339
Happy New Year all and hope you all had a great Xmas -

Here is one I have dug up from my book (all images credited to Bell UH-1D >>Huey<< by Robert Busse) which was a 1969 experiment by Daimler Benz using Bell UH-1D , s/n 64-13881 which was the fourth one built under license by Dornier (?). The experiment was to use a
DB720 / PT706 twin-shaft turbine. They basically made changes to the fuel cells and drive shaft thus giving the awkward look :)

There were long term plans to use this engine across the Bundeswehr fleet of UH-1D but it never amounted to that in the end.

cheers

IMG_7841_zpsnqg1s53j.jpg

IMG_7842_zpsbsnddogf.jpg

Only two rotor blades vastly reduced parts count and complexity for all of Bell's early helicopters. Since the advancing blade is trying to lag (decelerate) at the same time as the retreating blade is trying to advance its lead (accelerate), the two blades do not need to be hinged independently. Since the advancing blade is trying to lift at the same time as the retreating blade is trying to dip, they do not need to be hinged independently. Two bladed teetering rotors don't need hinges or dampeners for lead-lag or flapping. This allows them to fly with only a tiny parts count compared with fully-articulated rotors using 3 or more blades.
Arthur M. Young (1905 - 1995) developed his simple rotor system independently before offering it to Bell during the early 1940s. By the late 1940s, Bell was manufacturing Model 47s and Young's work was done, so he returned to his first love: philosophy.
Fast forward to the prototype UH-1, it is amazing how much growth potential the basic Huey had. While the prototype only had 6 seats (like an Aerospatiale A-Star) it eventually grew to the 214ST that could carry 16 or 18 people!
By the time I was wrenching on RCAF Twin Hueys (Model 212) - and parachuting out of Bundeswehr UH-1Ds - they already had a foot long extension ahead of the sliding cargo doors. Cargo doors slid back to reveal two or three more seats alongside the transmission. The tail boom also had a 2 foot-ish long extension to accommodate longer main rotors.

The 214ST was originally developed for the Royal Iranian Air Force who needed greater lift capacity (gross weight 17,600 pounds), especially at high density altitudes in the Iranian mountains. That deal fell through after the Shah was deposed in 1979, but Bell still built almost a hundred 214STs for the off-shore oil industry. Pierre Fourand explained that the ST's wide rotor blades were so massive that they could not auto-rotate, even if you buried the collective lever as the engine quit! Those wide rotor blades were later installed on some later versions of Huey Cobra attack helicopters.

The 4-bladed main rotors installed on model 414 (CH-135 Griffin in RCAF service) are a completely new design that is semi-rigid and reduces parts count by allowing blade roots to flex a little.

Master Corporal (retired) Rob Warner CD, BA, etc.Air Frame

Model of H-40, 3-blade with different cargo/troop carrying configurations. Photos dated 1958.

Attachments

• download (4).png
    download (4).png
    578.8 KB · Views: 97
  • H40 troop carrier 1958.png
    H40 troop carrier 1958.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 99
  • download (10).png
    download (10).png
    483.4 KB · Views: 103
  • download (12).png
    download (12).png
    552 KB · Views: 99
  • download (5).png
    download (5).png
    258.7 KB · Views: 97
  • download (8).png
    download (8).png
    665.7 KB · Views: 102
  • download (6).png
    download (6).png
    582.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Cargo.png
    Cargo.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 121
Huey with a chin turret. One with M60's and the other with MG43's?
Minor correction, that looks like a pair of MG42 machine guns. MG42 was introduced during World War 2 firing 7.92 mm ammo. During the Cold War, the revived West German Army put the MG42 back into production, but re-barreled it to fire NATO 7.62 x 51 mm ammo and called it MG1 or MG3. West Germany also licensed MG3 production to Greece, Iran, Italy, Pakistan, Spain, Sudan and Turkey.

Huey with a chin turret. One with M60's and the other with MG43's?
This is the unsuccessful Emerson Electric TAT-101D Tactical Armament Turret specified for Marine UH-1Es. It proved unreliable and was soon removed from the aircraft.

Attachments

• turret3.jpg
    turret3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 148
Back
Top Bottom