Boeing 747 Advanced Surveillance & Tracking Technology (ASTT)

Dronte

Argentinean ugly bird
Reaction score
In view of the material already presented in the forum this topic will surely motivate enough crossposting but I believe that the topic deserves to take their own place.

-A 90's proposal of GE for a Super-AWACS. A wind tunnel model existed but I have not gotten pictures of the same one.

Attachments

• GEawacs.jpg
    GEawacs.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Dronte said:
In view of the material already presented in the forum this topic will surely motivate enough crossposting but I believe that the topic deserves to take their own place.

-A 90's proposal of GE for a Super-AWACS. A wind tunnel model existed but I have not gotten pictures of the same one.

Here is a Model and drawing to Super-AWACS project

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,085
hesham said:
Dronte said:

Any information on the proposed capabilities?

Avimimus said:
hesham said:
Dronte said:

Any information on the proposed capabilities?
I wonder if that was AFTER we AWACS knuckle-draggers finally got a chance to shove a bunch of the design engineers for the "son-of-AWACS" project into the spaces WE had to get into to maintain the system? (@ the 1988-90 time frame IIRC)

I still recall having to get an engineer "unstuck" from between the klystrons in the aft-lower-lobe after he "shimmed" in but couldn't get back out :)

Randy

Dronte said:

Hi,

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19901119/20/2
http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19901119/22/2

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 4.png
    4.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 3.png
    3.png
    709 KB · Views: 246
  • 2.png
    2.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 1.png
    1.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 278
1662340444203.png
1662340444984.png

my friend told me this is a part of USAF TAC study during 1980s-1990s. In order to replace E3 Awacs plane .
And finally became E10 and cancelled.

Anybody have more information?

Attachments

• 1662340444203.png
    1662340444203.png
    600.1 KB · Views: 22
L-band radar proposal. Advanced Surveillance and Tracking Technology as branded on radome of the model.

This link leads to a PDF download from UTA (University of Texas at Arlington) which includes a general arrangement with dimensions, but focuses on the wind tunnel work done for the configuration: https://arc.uta.edu/publications/td_files/Stephen Holcomb.pdf

Most secret part of this project is that elongated radar' faring has been filled with pure helium, and thus allows to increase aircraft characteristcs, as well as lowering the stress for the radome supporting struts.
P.S. I decide to reveal this secret information today, a month before April, 1st, when it would be officially confirmed by corresponding autorities :cool:

1662340444984.png
Very reminiscent of the WF-1 'Willy Fudd', later E-1B Tracer, aka the 'Stoof with a roof', in the fifties.

Attachments

• Grumman E-1B Tracer (WF-1 Willy Fudd aka Stoof with a roof) 148909.jpg
    Grumman E-1B Tracer (WF-1 Willy Fudd aka Stoof with a roof) 148909.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom