Register here

Author Topic: Patriot SAM replacement  (Read 60485 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Patriot SAM replacement
« Reply #270 on: September 30, 2016, 05:42:53 am »
Lockheed and MBDA submitted their proposal to germany for the MEADS. The current version lacks the Lockheed LFS altogether and relies solely on the MFCR.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:16:26 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Online bobbymike

"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection." - Thomas Paine

"On what principle is it that with nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?" - Lord Macaulay

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2016, 11:33:10 am »
There's hope yet for some persistent, OTH sensor support.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=64d77bef93baa0d78a6bc39328fef74b&tab=core&_cview=0

Added: Nov 29, 2016 11:52 am

Request for Information (RFI) for sustainment level maintenance for the Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System (JLENS)

Distribution A - Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.

THIS IS A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

The US Army Program Executive Office (PEO) Missiles and Space, Cruise Missile Defense Systems (CMDS) Project Office is conducting market research to determine if there are potential sources that have the capability to provide sustainment level maintenance for two JLENS orbits stored at Aberdeen Proving Grounds (APG), MD and Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR). This RFI is issued solely for information and planning purposes; it does not constitute a Request for Proposal (RFP) or a promise to issue an RFP in the future. This RFI does not commit the United States Government (USG) to contract for any supply or service whatsoever. The USG will not pay for any information received in response to this request for information nor will the USG compensate the respondent for any cost incurred in developing the information for the USG. The contractor will be responsible for the sustainment and repair while in storage in order to extend the operational life of the JLENS systems and availability to support future deployments, if required. Support to be provided by this requirement includes supply management, integrated logistics support, and documentation of equipment conditions.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #273 on: November 30, 2016, 02:22:59 am »
Raytheon wins $225m contract for increased Patriot missile defense capability

ANDOVER, Mass., Nov. 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- An undisclosed member of the 13-nation group that owns the combat-proven Patriot Integrated Air and Missile Defense System has awarded Raytheon Company [NYSE: RTN] a $225 million direct commercial sales contract for additional capability. The contract was awarded on Oct 19.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #274 on: December 05, 2016, 07:46:39 am »
Connected to the IAMD and IBCS mission/capability areas so posting it here. Possibly a Gallium Nitride Antenna upgrade to the Sentinel as has been discussed for a while now.

Request for Information-Sentinel A4, for the AN/MPQ-64A3 (Sentinel A3) short range Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Radar-W31P4Q-16-R-0104---Sentinel A4 Development Notification of Industry Day

SENTINEL A4 REQUIREMENTS.

Respondents to this Request for Information (RFI) must satisfactorily address the following requirements in their response:
1. The Sentinel A4 must meet or exceed all current Sentinel A3 requirements contained in the Draft Revised Sentinel A3 Requirements Document. The Sentinel Product Office will make this Requirements Document (DRAFT, classified SECRET) available to potential respondents to this RFI.

2. To counter the new threat, the Sentinel A4 must exceed selected A3 threshold performance requirements. The Sentinel A4 requires a greater than 75% increase in range performance, three times the search volume, and twice the track loading capability. A greater than two times increase in track accuracy is required. Performance is required while operating under very stressing radar environments (e.g., electronic attack; anti-radiation weapons; direction finding sensors; mountain, sea, and urban clutter; biological fliers; etc.). While increasing range performance also increases search area, the Government is also interested in any increased elevation performance that a new antenna design may provide.

3. Candidate technical solutions to this RFI must currently be at a demonstrated Technology Readiness Level of six or higher (TRL 6).

4. To support a modification of the current Sentinel A3 to a Sentinel A4 capability, the Sentinel Product Office plans to make available a defined interface to the existing Sentinel A3 Signal Data Processor (SDP) and software, to which a new antenna assembly can be added. This antenna assembly would include advanced technologies (e.g., Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) technology) and interface to the existing SDP. A new antenna assembly will also require new equipment solutions or modifications to the platform, power systems, cooling systems, rotational assembly, and beam steering. The Sentinel Product Office will consider changes to the SDP or a new SDP hardware solution to support a new antenna assembly design. We encourage respondents to suggest alternatives to this approach.

5. Additional Information: The Government is not asking for a fully new radar system. The following information is provided so that potential respondents can consider how their new antenna subsystem can best be designed and integrated into the existing Sentinel system to meet desired performance.

a.) Classified appendix numbers are for the current radar unless specifically identified as IFPC requirements. The Sentinel A4 Radar requirements are still in development but are expected to be at least 1.75 times the current specification values.

b.) The current antenna with all accoutrements weights approximately 600 pounds. A Sentinel A4 Radar is expected to be heavier and will require a new drive and mounting system.

c.) The current Sentinel power requirement is 6.5KW 400HZ 3 phase 115V L-N. This power is currently supplied by a 10 KW generator. In addition to the Sentinel load, an additional 2KW load is required for additional systems mounted on Sentinel for a total of 8.5KW. Standard MEP 30 and 60KW (or greater) generators will be provided as GFE dependent on Sentinel A4 Radar power requirements.

d.) The IFF output power is currently 200W and a new antenna will be required to increase the IFF range so that it matches the radar maximum range. A new IFF antenna will need to be part of the Sentinel A4 Radar effort.

e.) The Sentinel A4 Radar will require an entirely new search, track, and classification balance scheme. The current Sentinel A3 Radar scheme would not be valid for the Sentinel A4 Radar.

f.) Currently, there are two X-band waveguides that pass through the rotary joint, and the rotary joint also supports several digital control lines and IFF data. An exciter, power amplifier and receiver are below the rotary joint and the IFF connects to an A/D converter located on a daughter board in the signal data processor. There are control lines from the SDP through a transmitted control unit that control the PAMs and Receiver/Exciter. The IFF must function in a Stop and Stare configuration and needs to be steerable (either electronically or mechanically) over the Sentinel A4 Radar antenna field of view. The comprehensive interface document is being developed but is not available at this time. The interface documentation will be provided upon request with the release of the Final RFI, planned for next year.

6. Candidate technical solutions must be ready to enter Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD as defined in DoD Instruction 5000.02), without a prior Government funded technology demonstration, in Fiscal Year (FY) 2019. Should an award be made, the selected contractor must be ready to hold a Preliminary Design Review in FY 2020 and must have prototype hardware ready for developmental testing, to include qualification and performance testing, in FY 2021 (28 months following EMD contract award).

7. Candidate technical solutions must address the ability and risks to enter Low Rate Initial Production in FY 2023 and Full Rate Production in FY 2025.

8. Candidate technical solutions must be supported by production facilities and proven processes to deliver up to 30 Sentinel A4 antenna assemblies per year. The Government plans to procure 199 antenna assemblies through FY 2032.

9. Candidate technical solutions must include a cost-effective 20-year sustainment plan for the 199 radars that includes Government organic support.

10. The desired Sentinel A4 technology is primarily for United States employment but must have a variant that can be approved for Foreign Military Sales (FMS) to existing and new Sentinel FMS customers.

11. Candidate technical solutions must be supported by current demonstrated company experience with advanced X-Band radars.

12. Candidate technical solutions must demonstrate that the resulting Sentinel A4 can be produced and sustained in a cost-effective manner.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:51:01 am by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

Offline bring_it_on

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:28 am »

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:30:58 am by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2017, 02:39:24 am »
PATRIOT WARS Automation and the Patriot Air and Missile Defense System - CNAS

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:44 am »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #280 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:49 am »
Next Patriot Missiles: Upward, Outward, Onward ; 02/2017

Building on current successes with the Patriot system, program representatives point to a range of future capability enhancements, with the Army having budgeted $2.9 billion in three budget lines for development and procurement between fiscal years 2013 and 2021 for various upgrades and a longterm radar solution.

Specific budgeting is directed toward three ongoing upgrades to address obsolescence issues; four near-term hardware upgrades that began fielding before fiscal 2017; six midterm upgrades and supporting equipment that will begin fielding between fiscal 2017 and 2021; and long-term upgrades including a long-term radar solution, the details of which are still being determined.

Examples of the midterm upgrades range from the remaining hardware needed-a radar digital processor-to prepare the Patriot system for integration with the Army's Integrated Air and Missile Defense Battle Command System, to the PDB-8 software upgrade that, in addition to a second software upgrade called PDB-8.1, is intended to improve communications and system capabilities against certain threats.

"We're working very closely with our sister partner at Northrop Grumman [Corp.] to help the Army achieve that networked command and control capability," DeAntona said.

Some of the longer-term system investments are part of a program funding line established in the president's 2017 budget that the Army plans to manage as a new major defense acquisition program known as the Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense sensor. The long-term sensor solution will be selected based on the findings of an ongoing analysis of alternatives that is being conducted for the current Patriot radar, with considerations ranging from the current Patriot radar with some modifications all the way up to brand-new radar development.

Army planners estimate that fielding for the selected radar solution could begin around fiscal 2028, with tactical fielding to be completed over a seven-year period.

Offline madhon

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2017, 03:04:26 am »
Lockheed and MBDA submitted their proposal to germany for the MEADS. The current version lacks the Lockheed LFS altogether and relies solely on the MFCR.

Where did you see the lack of the LFS mentioned ?

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »

Where did you see the lack of the LFS mentioned ?

I was told this by an IHS contributor familiar with the German and Polish program. I'm working on trying to see If I can get something from someone at Lockheed familiar with the submission.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:30:40 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2017, 07:11:45 pm »
Possibly of interest. GAO looked (report attached) at operational and cost aspects of U.S. Customs and Border Protection Tethered Aerostat Radar System (TARS)
constellation  and their Predator B fleet. TARS mounts a Lockheed L88 surveillance radar.

TARS         CPFH: $950
Predator B CPFH: $5,878

TARS          Operational Availability: 61%  (weather accounts for 30% of downtime)
Predator B  Launch Rate:   69%           (weather accounts for 20% of downtime)

Offline gTg

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:10 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this, but i think this is relevant in the context of the patriot replacement.
German newspaper Spiegel reports an US ally shot down a 300$ toy drone with a patriot costing 3000000$.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/us-armee-schiesst-drohne-mit-patriot-rakete-ab-a-1139011.html

Anybody has an idea what country it was?