Register here

Author Topic: German Midget submarines  (Read 13687 times)

Offline covert_shores

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Research + illustration
    • COVERT SHORES
Re: German Midget submarines
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 03:11:34 pm »
Confused that there does not appear to be a thread already - please merge if I am missing it.

Topics merged into this one

To start with, the Delfin AIP single-crew midget sub. 17kt submerged which is very fast but still much slower than Japanese designs.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:18:43 am by Jemiba »
COVERT SHORES: www.hisutton.com

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 11:30:31 pm »
Fantastic new thread. It also shows that we are not consistent with the spelling of Delfin/Delphin hence my search efforts achieving a deficiency. Which is correct?

Also, does anyone have any plans or sketches showing the internal layout of the Seeteufel?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:33:50 pm by covert_shores »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 06:28:05 am »
... we are not consistent with the spelling of Delfin/Delphin hence my search efforts achieving a deficiency. Which is correct?

Nowadays both spellings are correct, but looking at German ships named after this sea mammal, the spelling based on
the scientific name seems to have been mainly used before the orthography reform. So I would rather use "Delphin".
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »
I didn't know that about the Hecht, presumably on the bow? Intriguing. Doesn't seem very practical though, I can imagine a world of complications in operation.

Do you know of any plans?

I did have the good fortune to converse with a former Hecht + Seehund captain during my book research and he certainly viewed the Hecht as a training boat. Although that was the in-service perspective.

Offline Wurger

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 01:40:34 am »
The "Hecht" was also meant to deliver a detachable mine head, I can`t remember if it was to be clamped to ship hulls or if it was of the "limpet" type. Besides Eberhard Rössler you should also consult Harald Focke`s works. I will have a look at it by friday.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:54:55 am by Jemiba »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 02:57:00 am »
If my memory serves me right, there's a side view in the "Gröner". Will have a look, when
I'm back home ...
... and perhaps we should split the "Hecht", merge it with this thread
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4672.0.html?PHPSESSID=mg4enampmippve26k8bmb24k71
and turn it inot a general "German Midget submarines" thread, which it principally already is.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:01:21 am by Jemiba »

Offline Wurger

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 03:58:12 am »
Fine to me!

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 10:36:06 am »
Here are the mentioned drawings of the Typ XXVII Hecht, the first, showing the variant
armed with a torpedo is from Erich Gröner "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815 - 1945", vol.3,
the other one from J.P. Mallmann-Snowell "Uboote gegen England".

Offline Wurger

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:38 am »
Got it!!! Jens, would you be so kind to correct my translation?

Fock tells about the armament intended for the "Hecht", and "a)" was a G7 torpedo and...

"b) Kopf des bootes als mine(haftmine) ausgebildet, die vom inneren des bootes gelöst werden konnte,
c) abkuppelbarer, mit einer atmungsanlage und einer ausstiegluke versehener sonderkopf zur aufnahme von zwei nebeneinander sitzenden kampfschwimmern. Diese sollten entweder zum einsatz von unterwasser-sprengladungen in einem feindlichen hafen bzw. zu raid-unternehmungen mit dem sonderkopf oder mittels schlauchboot an land abgesetzt werden. Ausrüstung, waffen usw. waren in gummibeuteln verpackt. Praktisch wurden minen- und kampfschwimmerkopf nie realisiert".

b) the head of the boat as a limpet mine could be disengaged from the inside,
c) Disengageable head, provided with a breathing system and an exiting hatch, admiting two frogmen seated side by side. These could be deployed to place underwater charges in an enemy harbour or in commando operations with the special head or using rubber rafts to land. Equipment, weapons etc, were packed in rubber bags. Actually, these mine and combat swimmer heads were not built".

No plans, but Fock hints a source, not explicitly on this particular subject. It is "Aschmoneit, Ch (should be Cristoph Aschmoneit, a U-boat engineer), Kurze Aufzeichnungen über die Klein-Ubootentwicklungen der Deutschen Kriegsmarine", an unpublished manuscript.

actually nothing to correct !
  ;)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:23:25 am by Jemiba »

Offline Graham1973

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »
I have a research related question, what would be best source be (Online or offline.) for the numbering used on the various K-Verband submarines?

Offline Wurger

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 04:14:10 am »
I`m sorry that I cannot help you, my sources are on technical subjects, not operational.

Offline covert_shores

• COVERT SHORES
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 12:51:35 pm »
I have a research related question, what would be best source be (Online or offline.) for the numbering used on the various K-Verband submarines?
hull numbers?