Register here

Author Topic: Soviet student/universities projects (MAI, KhAI, etc.)  (Read 23044 times)

Offline Cy-27

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Soviet student/universities projects (MAI, KhAI, etc.)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 11:00:36 pm »
The caption on the experimental pusher 405 design, above, reads MAL-405 (МАЛ 405) -  are we sure this is a Moscow Aviation Institute design?

(I can't access the http://coollib.com/b/228703/read URL - its unavailable)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:03:54 pm by Cy-27 »

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 01:26:02 am »
The caption on the experimental pusher 405 design, above, reads MAL-405 (МАЛ 405) -  are we sure this is a Moscow Aviation Institute design?

Very true, this! Can't believe it slipped my attention. However, when you read the text, it talks about a technical proposal for an "experimental aircraft for long-haul non-stop flight without refueling" designed at Moscow Aviation Institute. Powered by D-11 diesel aviation engines, [it would be] capable of circumnavigating the globe at the equator in less than 12 days." So my opinion is that "MAL-405" was probably a typo for MAI-405, a designation which fits nicely in the institute's numbering system.

The text can be found on pages 205/206 of the Russian children's book I perceive the world: Aviation and Aeronautics by Stanislav N. Zigunenko:
http://fs1.uclg.ru/books/pdf/1391961921_ya_poznau_mir_aviachia_i_vozduhoplavanie.pdf
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:22:46 am by Skyblazer »

Offline Cy-27

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 04:29:01 am »
Skyblazer, many thanks for the alternate source for the article context.

Offline Vladimir

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 08:17:39 am »
VTOL aircraft, KAI- Kazanskij Aviatsionnij Institut ( Kazan Aviation Institute). 
Experimental VTOL aircraft, designed by KAI students. Intended as fast airport-to-city centre transport.

Offline Vladimir

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 08:31:20 am »
Also several MAI students VTOL concepts

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 08:36:39 am »
Thanks Vladimir, though I'm sure we already have these projects in some other topic (likely on Soviet VTOL projects).

Offline hesham

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 07:31:38 am »
Hi,

here is a strange two MAI aircraft projects,the first was M500-210,it was a double deck
canard four turbofans airliner,developed from M500-200,and the second was DFS,a twin
fuselage four turbofan engines airliner.

Studiendepartment Fahrzeugtechnik und Flugzeugbau
Recherche zu patentierten Flugzeugkonfigurationen
Verfasser: Stephan Müller

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 05:12:02 am »
All Kharkov (Kharkiv) Aviation Institute (KhAI) projects can now be found in the existing separate topic:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11427.0

Offline Retrofit

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 03:05:26 am »
Hi,

Is there more information available about the Lyakhov "Vintolet" presented in Hesham's post #2,

Thanks in advance!

Offline hesham

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 05:15:03 am »
My dear Retrofit,

here is a more Info about it;

[quotePlane MG Lyakhov (Fig. 326). Sculptor by training, MG Lyakhov built in 1961 for the first nine months of his plane, which he called "Vintolet".

Plane MG Lyakhov (Fig. 326). Sculptor by training, MG Lyakhov built in 1961 for the first nine months of his plane, which he called "Vintolet".

Aircraft wing having a disc shape in plan, intended to make the fan by folding type. Moreover, some sectors have been nested. Furthermore, in terms of disk wing was to provide lower landing speed and stability of the flight at high angles of attack.

In the central part of the disk was formed an annular channel, which rotate two coaxial propellers. Screws using a chain drive is driven by a two-cycle engines M-72 air-cooled.

Wing wooden construction with fabric covering. Cloth impregnated with a composition that MG Lyakhov developed independently. The composition consisted of aviation oil, linseed oil, solvent and stearin.

Ailerons were central rotary wing sectors, empennage cruciate scheme.

Flight aircraft weight 300 kg, length of 6 m. The width of the folded wing disc 2 m. With folded wings "Vintolet" could move along the highway, the car, tricycle landing gear with the front wheel. Motorcycle wheels and brake.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/shawrov/htmls/glava12.html

Offline Avimimus

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2017, 02:52:25 pm »
Hi,

here is anther drawings and a Model for Grach-4.

http://alternathistory.org.ua/proekt-selskokhozyaistvennogo-samoleta-mai-grach-4-sssr

Link is down, so Archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20170204143653/http://alternathistory.com/proekt-selskokhozyaistvennogo-samoleta-mai-grach-4-sssr

Some interesting information... apparently its structural weight was supposed to be 44% of its takeoff weight?

It seems to have also had an autopilot and possibly even fly-by-wire controls?

Btw. Does anyone have a more detailed 3-view (or larger version of the image Hesham posted)? I'm trying to work out some of the aerodynamic characteristics - but without being able to figure out more about the airfoil, wing incidence, and other details of the layout it is hard to do. A higher resolution image would help somewhat.

Offline hesham

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 03:03:42 pm »
Hi Avimimus,

I think I saw 3-view to it on Internet,but where ?.

Offline Avimimus

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »
Hi Avimimus,

I think I saw 3-view to it on Internet,but where ?.

The upper right hand corner of the image you posted has one. It is just low detail. Any other leads appreciated though (or a higher resolution verison).

Offline Richard N

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 10:49:51 am »
The original MAI Grach-4 illustration link worked for me and I found that if you opened the illustration in a new window, you got a 1680 X 1085 large image to work with.  I enlarged it on my screen and took screen snips of the drawings and have attached them. 

I am also interested in the aerodynamic characteristics of the Grach-4 configuration.  I build and fly flying wing models and am curious about how the downward shaped multi-segment elevator works.  In most tailless aircraft, there is some part of the rear part of the wing that imparts a downward force, like a conventional horizontal tail, to balance the tendency of the forward part of the wing to pitch down.
The Grach-4 seems to have a downward shaped surface that would seem to give an upload instead of a download and would be the opposite of what works on my flying wing models.  The elevator is also multi segmented and I was wondering if in level flight the segments are parallel to the flight path or slightly up to create a balancing download force.

I look forward to seeing the results of your analysis.