Aichi B8A Mokusei (AM-26)

moin1900

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am searching for a 3view or Picture of the AICHI B8A Mokusei.
And other informations about it, too.
"The AICHI B8A was essentially a product-improved derivative of the AICHI B7A"

I have only found this
http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/str003ap.htm
http://tbo.wikidot.com/airlist-jnb

Many thanks in advance and many greetings

Here about the B7A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_B7A
Many greetings

"Towards the end of the war a successor to the Ryusei was under evelopment.
This aircraft, the Mokusei (Jupiter), was to have been much smaller and faster,
but its design did not progress further than the initial layout phase"
from R. J. Francillon " Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War", Putnam 1988

I have found some, I think the B8A can look like this !
http://www.warbirds.jp/kakuki/kaksei/sinpu_jt.htm
Many greetings

'Wikidot' is a work of fiction....
see the welcome page.

I know it ! But i have not found some other infomations about that project!
To Jemiba: Thanks for it ! I have read a little text about the MOKUSEI, it is the same as yours only in german! "KLASSIKER DER LUFTFAHRT" 5/06 Article about the Aichi B7A
There is also a Aichi B7A3 are there any Pictures or Informations about that project?
Many greetings and thanks in advance

"There is a Aichi B7A3
Are there any Pictures or Informations about that project?"

"... but because of the earhquake the projected B7A3 Ryusei Kai powered by a 2.200 hp
Mitsubishi MK9A was not realized ... " Sorry :(

(again from Francillon)

There is a superficial similarity between this aircraft and the B7A Ryusei - could it be that this is a competing design with the as yet unfound B8A Mokusei (Jupiter) design?
What is an No25 bomb? What is an No50 bomb?

Nick Sumner said:
There is a superficial similarity between this aircraft and the B7A Ryusei - could it be that this is a competing design with the as yet unfound B8A Mokusei (Jupiter) design?
What is an No25 bomb? What is an No50 bomb?

Not unfound. According to another topic, this is the Aichi AM-26 project, also known as the B8A1 Mokusei.

Attachments

• AM-26 = B8A1 Mokusei.jpg
    AM-26 = B8A1 Mokusei.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 352
LAW - thanks!

Stargazer, I thought the B8A was supposed to be smaller than the B7A and single seat? That aircraft looks to have a large 'greenhouse' for a crew of more than one?

Hi there! I'm looking for information regarding this aircraft (Aichi B8A Mokusai). Ive seen this mentioned on the forums before but cant seem to find information as well as drawings/illustrations either. If anyone knows of the aircraft and a clear illustration, that would be great.

Cheers, Cherry

Hard to find Cherry,

but that's its drawing;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6691.15.html

Yes it is hard to find, aswell as some information, do you have another image?

Cheers, Cherry

Hi, the name written on the drawing is actually Mokusei (木星), not "Mokusai".
Adrien

c460 said:
Adrien

Yeah i already realized, was in a rush before going out.

Winston said:
I have no other pictures right now too :(
More information:
http://hud607.fire.prohosting.com/uncommon/reference/japan/carrier_attack.html
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/Nippon/aircraft/Projected.htm
If it was smaller, how much smaller. What are the dimensions?

It seems the only information thats out there is what you found. Even through Japanese google, i found nothing. Regarding dimensions, was there even a blueprint or design made? Are the illustrations provided based on what was proposed in the design?

The B8A was the result of a 20-shi specification for a torpedo bomber. It was basically the same 16-shi specifications the IJN gave Aichi for the B7A but without the aircraft carrier requirements. Within Aichi, the B8A was designated AM-26 and it was essentially the B7A without the gull wing, it was somewhat scaled down in size, and had a heavier armament (two 30mm cannons and one flexible 13mm machine-gun). Aichi did complete the initial design plans for the B8A which were approved but the war ended before anything was ever constructed, not even a mock-up.

That so little is known about the B8A is because much, if not all, the design information was lost or destroyed by war's end.

Ok thankyou! Its a shame about the plane's documentation being lost. Then again it can relate to many others.

Please note that there never was such a thing as "19-Shi" or "20-Shi" designations for 1944 and 1945 experimental programs. This is "historic license" if I may call it thusly, something invented afterwards.

Thank you Hikoki, I like how the decided to drop the carrier requirement as they were all pretty much dead in the water at that time!

Skyblazer said:
Please note that there never was such a thing as "19-Shi" or "20-Shi" designations for 1944 and 1945 experimental programs. This is "historic license" if I may call it thusly, something invented afterwards.

Hmmm, ill take that into account. I wondered their existence from sources but thankyou very much!

In another thread I suggested that the name "Mokusei" might be an indication that the aircraft would be made of wood. The word "Mokusei" (木星) is the Japanese name of the planet Jupiter but it literally means "wooden star" (木 = wood ; 星 = star).
There were other late war projects that were wooden adaptations of existing designs, so I think that it might make sense.
Adrien

c460 said:
Adrien

Can this be fixed in the topic's titles? Thanks.

I'd wager that at the time the B8A was being designed, the Japanese already had enough experience with the poor results of wooden aircraft (notably the Tachikawa Ki-106 and the Kūgishō D3Y1 Myōjō) that I doubt wood was considered for the B8A because if the B8A was to be made mainly of wood, performance would have been dismal compared to the B7A it was supposed to replace and thus wasted effort. Not only that, experience with the Ki-106 showed it took almost double the man-hours to build compared to the Ki-84 that the Ki-106 was derived from. With the D3Y1, the other example, the use of wood and the resulting poor performance saw the weight saving attempts (which consisted of removing all armament) negate the entire purpose of the D3Y1 as a trainer aircraft.

c460 said:
In another thread I suggested that the name "Mokusei" might be an indication that the aircraft would be made of wood. The word "Mokusei" (木星) is the Japanese name of the planet Jupiter but it literally means "wooden star" (木 = wood ; 星 = star).
There were other late war projects that were wooden adaptations of existing designs, so I think that it might make sense.
Adrien

Makes a lot of sense, Hikoki1946. Thanks for the insight.

Happy to lend my two shillings on the topic. Though, c460 might very well be right but I have to take the logical look that the IJN wouldn't have wanted a B7A replacement that would not have stacked up to what it was meant to surpass.

Skyblazer said:
Makes a lot of sense, Hikoki1946. Thanks for the insight.

One of the major problems with the B7A was that it was too large to operate from the Unryu class carriers which thus had to rely on the D4Y dive bomber. Perhaps the smaller size of the B8A came from an earlier requirement for a smaller and lighter torpedo bomber for those ships?

The B7A was designed for the later aircraft carriers, such as the Taihō, rather than earlier carriers like the Unryū-class vessels. Also, bear in mind that the B7A development actually began back in 1941 so, at that time, there was every expectation that the newer carriers coming into service could handle the B7A. Of course, by the time the B7A entered service, it was after April 1944 and by then, there were few carriers left. For example, the Taihō was sunk in June 1944 and the Shinano was lost in November 1944. So, with so few B7A built and even fewer carriers left by the time the aircraft got into service, this was why the B7A was operated from land bases.

In light of the motive on the part of the IJN to not impose carrier specific requirements on Aichi's B8A design, tells me the IJN had no intention of operating the B8A from carriers at all.

JFC Fuller said:
One of the major problems with the B7A was that it was too large to operate from the Unryu class carriers which thus had to rely on the D4Y dive bomber. Perhaps the smaller size of the B8A came from an earlier requirement for a smaller and lighter torpedo bomber for those ships?

What I found...
.... Design work on a Ryusei replacement was well underway at the end of the war,but with the loss of the naval carrierfleet
the operational concept was greatly changed, resulting in a design project for an aircraft that could be used in a variety
of offensive operations from both land or carries bases.
Known as the Mokusei (Jupiter) , the new attack plane was designed for high-speed use ,sacrificing military load to gain
speed and range. The Mokusei was designed to carry 1,100lb. bomb load or a single 1,320lb.torpedo of advanced design.
The war ended before construction began...

from Japanese Navy Aircraft 1940-1945 part I by
Richard M.Bueschel and Shorzoe Abe.
Air Pictorial December 1958.

Skyblazer said:
Not unfound. According to another topic, this is the Aichi AM-26 project, also known as the B8A1 Mokusei.

Having a better look at the drawing posted on page 1, it is captioned as an "imaginary drawing" (想像図).

here's an update:
Unlike what most people had doubt, the B8A1 is proofed as an existed plan. The way I proofed that was to read the diary notes of Dr.Ozaki of Aichi Kokuki KK(who also designed Ryusei, Suisei, Seiran, and Denko). In his diary he proposed that this plane was a bit heavier than B7A2, one of her key notes was her engine. The B8A1 has a few existed plans different on which engine she uses, they are:
1. The MK9A plan (same engine as Reppu and Shinden)
2. The MK9B plan
3. The MK10C plan
4. The NK9K plan
5. The NK11K plan (super Mamoru)
The Mokusei was much like the Ryusei and she was planned to carry some rocket boosters