kugelpanzer aka 'ball tank'

I know it was made (obviously) .... the mythos part relates to the use ...... thanks for the link anyway

CK that is a logical possibility because rotating/rolling pill box designs made it to the cover of atleast one pop scientific mag ;D .... but then you never know

Hallo friends:
trying to research more deeply the very strange Kugelpanzer that is part of the Kubinka tank museum collection, I found, googling around, a modelmaker URL quoting a German WW I ball tank... perhaps WW I could be a typo for WW II but, in fact, if we look at the Hansa-Lloyd Bremen Treffas-Wagen of 1917, we can see the same level of technology and even the same architecture. In fact, the Kugelpanzer is a three-cycle vehicle rather than a single-wheel or two-wheel solution, and if we compare the fotograph I enclose (one depicts a scale model), we see the same solution, like a tail-dragger aircraft.
I cant't say what the Kugelpanzer really is, but I doubt that it was really found in Manchuria and I'm sure it never was on a battlefield. Perhaps it was a proof-of-concept demonstrator of the Treffas-Wagen or a derivative project, donated by German tank designers to the Russians (German "tankers" were active in Soviet Union before the war). But, naturally, those are only assumptions...
Happy Easter
Nico

Attachments

• Kubelwagen Model.jpg
    Kubelwagen Model.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,593
...there was another picture...
Nico

Attachments

• Treffas-Wagen.jpg
    Treffas-Wagen.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 914
That has a distinct look of the 'Tsar Tank' about it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12353.0.html

Source - Central Defence Ministry Archive (Podolsk, Russia)
image_4dcb6df4eb78d.jpg

image_4dcb6e3b0cd3a.jpg

From another "Ball Tank" project. Source same - Central Defence Ministry Archive (Podolsk, Russia).
a9632b7dc491.jpg

In principal, i have lots of strange projects reports form GAPTU (Central Tank Department), section of inventions.

In principal, i have lots of strange projects reports form GAPTU (Central Tank Department), section of inventions.

Thanks a lot for posting it. I love bizarre machines of any kind!

Taranov said:
Another project, source same

That design seems to be actually somewhat logical, allowing organic heavy weapons support to keep up more easily with the advance of infantry units.

Another "Ball tank" design, april 1941 dated. Project made by I.N. Chusovitin engineer from factory #19 (Perm)

Attachments

• chusovtank.jpg
    chusovtank.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 163
Another concept - tank destroyer, december 1943 dated.
Not sure, but looks like Maus as a prey of soviet ball tank ;D

By the way, i start work on the "Stalin's balls of steel" book. Featured over 50 soviet ball tanks project, based on the real documents.

Attachments

• tdestroyer.jpg
    tdestroyer.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 732
And another concept - "Sphebrobil",1940-41 dated.

Attachments

• sphebrobil.jpg
    sphebrobil.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 737
The "Sphebrobil" even was amphibious ? Or is this thing downright just
a crutch to prevent the whole thing from capsizing ... as far, as this
would be possible in a ball ?

Yes, it's amphibious ball-tank.
Lots of similar projects also with amphibious ability. As i remember, first ball-tank with amphibious ability patented in 1920.

Attachments

• d008.jpg
    d008.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 690
Taranov said:
By the way, i start work on the "Stalin's balls of steel" book. Featured over 50 soviet ball tanks project, based on the real documents.

If nothing else, I love the book title! ;)

GTX said:
If nothing else, I love the book title! ;)

I just have doubts, that it will pass censorship ! ;D

Judging the distribution of weight, as it is recognisable in the "Sphebrobil",
I think, it would hardly have been stable without artificial stabilisation. And I don't know,
if something like that was available. Maybe a rather simple gyroscope would have been
sufficient ?

Another project, summer 1941 dated. Idea of Moscow Factory #381 engineers. 2-man crew, 6 MG + 2 heavy MG, 300 km/h speed, jumping ability... :eek:
By the way, i already see light in the end of tunnel. 3/4 of text is done.

Attachments

• 38-11350-2116-p09.jpg
    38-11350-2116-p09.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 485
Taranov said:

I love this title !
and what Stalin comment about this ?
stalin_clown.jpg

i hope the book include the concrete fortress moving by vibration ;D

Another project - "Protivodot" (Antibunker). Designed in 1942 by ingeneer-major Novitsky from Zhukovsky Air Force Engineering Academy.