FATE and ICE studies

Sundog

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here's some more tailless fighter designs

These first two are of a design that was used for testing various flight control surfaces in the wind tunnel.
TLD-5.jpg

TLD-2.jpg

This appears to be another version of the above design, but with at least an F-16 canopy.
TLD-1.jpg

Here is a proposed modified F-16XL to flight test these ideas.
TLD-4.jpg

This is the Naval variant of the X-36
TLD-3.jpg

I had a good paper/article on the X-36 including drawings of it as a full scale fighter, but I can't seem to find it. If I ever locate it I'll update this information.

Attachments

• TLD-5.jpg
    TLD-5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,617
  • TLD-2.jpg
    TLD-2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 253
  • TLD-1.jpg
    TLD-1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 233
  • TLD-4.jpg
    TLD-4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 182
  • TLD-3.jpg
    TLD-3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,648
Hi,

I don't remember if we spoke about ICE improved control effectiveness
programme and its proposal from Lockheed Martin as tailless fighter.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1997/1997%20-%200235.pdf

Attachments

• Lockheed Martin tailless fighter.JPG
    Lockheed Martin tailless fighter.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 988
hesham said:
Hi,

I don't remember if we spoke about ICE improved control effectiveness
programme and its proposal from Lockheed Martin as tailless fighter.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1997/1997%20-%200235.pdf
Basis of the X-44 proposal, wasn't it?

The US did a couple of configuration studies, into tailless aircraft configurations earlier this decaded (may have even been the late 1990's) very little information or drawings have been presented so far.

Attached FATE and ICE

Attachments

• US- ICE- Lockheed Delta-II.gif
    US- ICE- Lockheed Delta-II.gif
    73.5 KB · Views: 446
  • US- FATE.jpg
    US- FATE.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 3,236
From Air Forces Monthly, March 1997

Attachments

• LockICE_afm-march1997-1s.jpg
    LockICE_afm-march1997-1s.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 488
  • LockICE_afm-march1997-2s.jpg
    LockICE_afm-march1997-2s.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 517
Innovative Control Effectors (ICE) configurations 101 and 201 schematics from

INDIRECT ADAPTIVE FLIGHT CONTROL OF A TAILLESS FIGHTER AIRCRAFT
Rowena L. Eberhardi
Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems
David G. Ward
Barron Associates, Inc.
AIAA-99-4042

and

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL FOR TAILLESS AIRCRAFT USING ALL MOVING WING TIPS
William J. Gillard,
Wright Laboratory; Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433-7531
Kenneth M. Dorsett
Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems; Fort Worth, TX 76101-0748
AIAA-97-3487

Attachments

• ICE-101&201.jpg
    ICE-101&201.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 493
  • ICE-101wingtip.jpg
    ICE-101wingtip.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 395
  • ICE_101-izometry2.jpg
    ICE_101-izometry2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 328
  • ICE_101-izometry.jpg
    ICE_101-izometry.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 338
  • ICE_101-top.jpg
    ICE_101-top.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 335
Modified Lockheed-Martin Innovative Control Effector (ICE) Configuration (1996)

• Advanced tailless, delta wing configuration
• Low radar signature, high agility
• Innovative Control Effectors (ICE) Pitch and yaw TV, elevens, pitch flaps, all-moving wing tips, spoiler-slot deflectors, differential leading edge flaps
• Nominal configuration modified to include actively controlled passive porosity effectors

From
Innovative Control Effectors (ICE)
Dorsett, K. and Mehl, D.
WL-TR-96-3043, January 1996

Attachments

• Lock_modICE-1996.jpg
    Lock_modICE-1996.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 398
Very cool stuff - The all moving wingtips, wile providing a very logical elevon configuration, could be larger to allow the wing angle of attack (to avoid stall) to be controlled independently of the fuselage/thrusts vector like a free wing but servo controlled.
Just a thought, cheers, Woody

found on HDD

Attachments

• ICE-WT.jpg
    ICE-WT.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 277
Tailless fighter from AFRL 1997 Air Vehicles Technology Area Plans (TAPS) pdf
Obviously FATE-related

Attachments

• fate97-2.jpg
    fate97-2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 388
That Lock-Mart Naval variant design looks like almost an exact copy of the McDD (Boeing) X-36 Naval variant that was shown in an article I had on the X-36 (I haven't been able to find it recently). The only difference being the naval variant of the X-36 (With canard and delta wing just like what is shown in the Lock-Mart design) is the nozzle. The McDD design had a 2-d fluidic vectored thrust nozzle like the X-36's.

"Conceptual future tailless fighter and low signature, highly maneuverable attack aircraft. The tailless fighter concept highlights the all-moving wingtips and other control surfaces that cover much of the delta wing, and allow greater maneuverability, particularly in unmanned aircraft." Graphics courtesy Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems

Attachments

• 16_future_attack_aircraft.jpg
    16_future_attack_aircraft.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 453
I wasn't sure where to put this. Near the end of this AEDC annual report for 90's projects it lists the YF-36. I am assuming this is just a misprint and they met the X-36? I know there was a design for a "full scale" version, but it was never built AFAIK.

Unless it's a typo for the YFC-36A, which is supposed to be the early designation for the YAL-1A AirBorne Laser...

flateric said:
Innovative Control Effectors (ICE) configurations 101 and 201 schematics from

INDIRECT ADAPTIVE FLIGHT CONTROL OF A TAILLESS FIGHTER AIRCRAFT
Rowena L. Eberhardi
Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems
David G. Ward
Barron Associates, Inc.
AIAA-99-4042

and

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL FOR TAILLESS AIRCRAFT USING ALL MOVING WING TIPS
William J. Gillard,
Wright Laboratory; Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433-7531
Kenneth M. Dorsett
Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems; Fort Worth, TX 76101-0748
AIAA-97-3487

Also as my dear Flateric found those reports,I find a report in DTIC site;

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADB232172&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 349
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 707
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 725
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 757
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 789
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 378
I'm no pilot, but I think I'd prefer the canard styles for their command authority...

Without taking the look into the materials, ICE and MANTA were two different programs done by the same aircraft producer (and partners). The aim of the ICE was to investigate the new innovative control surfaces that should have the lower RCS (on the single engined generic design), while the aim of the MANTA was to produce the tailless aircraft, controlled only by the all axis thrust vectoring without moveable surfaces. They both ended with the similar platforms, but the goals and technologies were significantly different. The results of the ICE are now applied on the UCAVs.

One of the very interesting things about FATE was that the X-36 flight test program focused only on low speed, high AOA flight - carrier landings.
You'd think someone would show interest in testing a tailless, agile aircraft throughout a larger envelope.

Isn't the Boeing F/A-XX (or is it NGAD?) based on a tailless delta? would be nice if ICE and FATE research had found an application.

I believe the Future Aircraft Technology Enhancements (FATE) programme of the US Air Force Research Laboratory was originally designated as X-39 (no typo). The programme included Unmanned Combat Air Vehicles and studies were conducted by Boeing and by Lockheed Martin.

Hi,

was that Boeing Tailless aircraft relate to this subject ?.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA406119&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Attachments

• tailless.JPG
    tailless.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 339
Jos Heyman said:
I believe the Future Aircraft Technology Enhancements (FATE) programme of the US Air Force Research Laboratory was originally designated as X-39 (no typo). The programme included Unmanned Combat Air Vehicles and studies were conducted by Boeing and by Lockheed Martin.

I have X-39 listed as a "future aircraft technology demonstrator aircraft" but one French language reference lists it as a "secret heavy orbital launcher" for what it's worth...

Here is text I found on the web as early as June 2009 from THE 456th FIGHTER INTERCEPTOR SQUADRON's website at http://www.456fis.org/AMERICAN_X_VEHICLES_1-50.htm

The X-39 designator was apparently reserved for use by the Air Force Research Laboratory for subscale unmanned demonstrators originally planned under the Future Aircraft Technology Enhancements (FATE) program. FATE was intended to develop revolutionary technologies that would become the foundation for next generation of combat aircraft. Examples of FATE technologies included affordable low-observable data systems, active aero-elastic wing, robust composite sandwich structures, advanced compact inlets, photonic vehicle management systems, self adaptive flight controls, and electric flight control actuators.

A subset of the Fixed Wing Vehicle (FWV) program, FATE was divided into three primary phases: Phase I was to define a set of aircraft technologies for both inhabited and uninhabited aircraft. Phase II was to develop preliminary vehicle design concepts, a demonstrator system, and demonstration plans. Phase III would develop, build, and flight-test a demonstrator vehicle. It is known that at least Boeing Seattle and Boeing Phantom Works participated in the program. Phase I was apparently used as a jump start for the Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV) programs, and the rest of FATE was seemingly cancelled before being started.

That page links to a much more detailed one: http://www.456fis.org/X-39.htm which is by far the most detailed account I've ever seen on what X-39 could/should be and details the FATE effort with text and graphics. It would be too long to quote but I really encourage anyone interested in FATE to visit it.

The following picture is provided with the article, with the following caption: "Speculative artist concept of a possible unmanned aerial vehicle that could be similar to the X-39."

Attachments

• X-39_UCAV.jpg
    X-39_UCAV.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 280
hesham said:
Hi,

was that Boeing Tailless aircraft relate to this subject ?.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA406119&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

What I find interesting in that document is what it reveals about the Lockheed ICE configuration;

1) It has a 38000 lb gross take off weight.
2) It has internal weapons bays (I wasn't sure if they were planning internal or conformal as this design seemed small to me).
3) It was designed for an 1100 nm range in the A2G mission.

uncensored version of Boeing Phantom Works FATE Phase I 1997 report (censored version lacking possible UCAV configurations was available here)

Attachments

• Boeing FATE Phase I.jpg
    Boeing FATE Phase I.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 1,515

Attachments

• ice1.jpg
    ice1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,551
  • ice2.jpg
    ice2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,498

Attachments