Aermacchi project

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi all,

at Ali d'Italia No.13 Aermacchi M.B.326 I have found this picture, but I don´t understand italian. Was this a projected version of the M.B.326?

Thanks Maveric

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 331
Yes, it was the alternate side-to-side (like the Provost) version of the 326. I have a 3- view. Let me scan it.

Et voilà...

Attachments

• Mb-326_af_1.gif
    Mb-326_af_1.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Mb-326_af_2.gif
    Mb-326_af_2.gif
    53.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Mb-326_af_3.gif
    Mb-326_af_3.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 300
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aermacchi_MB-326

"MB-326A and C were never realized. The "A" was intended as a light attack aircraft, with two 7.62 mm machine-guns in the nose, but never built. Later, some MB-326s were called "A" only to mean that they were fitted with an ADF Marconi AD-370. The "C" version was to have the NASARR radar in the nose, to train F-104 pilots, but only realized as a mock-up."

Only versions A and C were never realized !

image that you have attached are probably referred to A version.

No, it is the regular trainer in the never built side-by-side configuration. The project is from 1953. I have an inboard profile too, if someone is interested. And BTW the Wiki is wrong. The Mb-326A was the basic trainer with tandem seats (later than the side-by-side, 1957), the -B was a trainer and light-attack, from 1960, and the C the F-104G trainer. I'll post the individual designs. B and C were never built.
As a final note, you'll notice that the side-by-side from 1953 has 3 (three) machine guns in the nose....

This project seems to have more than a point of contact with the Cessna A/T 37 Dragonfly of mid '60s...

"This project seems to have more than a point of contact with the
Cessna A/T 37 Dragonfly of mid '60s..."

Than it has other points of contact with the MS.755 Fleuret, the Procaer
Cobra 400, or the Huning Perival Jet Provost, too, I think. ;)

Just as today it's difficult to tell from a distance a Pilatus PC-9 from an
Embraer Tucano. There's a kind of fashion in aviation, too !

Bazzocchi's inspiration was the Provost (first flight 1954, but well covered in advance on the British magazines). From 1945 to 1955 the Italian designerx mostly got inspiration from Britain aircrafts, down to stylistic signatures not strictly relevant from a technical point of view (an example is the Viscount raised cockpit, which is a characteristic of both the Agusta AZ-1 and the SM-122 and 132)

Skybolt said:
Bazzocchi's inspiration was the Provost (first flight 1954, but well covered in advance on the British magazines). From 1945 to 1955 the Italian designerx mostly got inspiration from Britain aircrafts, down to stylistic signatures not strictly relevant from a technical point of view (an example is the Viscount raised cockpit, which is a characteristic of both the Agusta AZ-1 and the SM-122 and 132)

When Bazzocchi discarded the side by side configuration with, the more familiar (MB326, 338 and 339) tandem configuration??

A "C" version of the side-by-side version would look perfect sitting next to a CL-41R.