Register here

Author Topic: AARGM / VFDR Missiles  (Read 29096 times)

Offline FighterJock

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: AARGM / VFDR Missiles
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2017, 02:03:14 am »
Courtesy Navy recognition

Oh boy! that is one mean looking missile.  Any word on what the range of the missile would be compared with the standard AARGM?

Online bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2017, 02:09:28 am »
In its current configuration (11.5 inch diameter motor) configuration Orbital claims more than double the range.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:19:59 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline sferrin

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2017, 05:00:19 am »
In its current configuration (11.5 inch diameter motor) configuration Orbital claims more than double the range.

Which means it probably won't get past the model stage unfortunately.  It's how we roll.  :'(
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2017, 05:12:38 am »
It is a Navy program of record at the moment and the motor section will be competitively sourced therefore it is entirely possible that the Orbital proposal does not make the cut although they stand with a very good chance given their involvement with the rest of the missile section and as the incumbent.

https://youtu.be/cqQiyiior40?t=495
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:17:40 am by bring_it_on »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:12 am »
Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile-Extended Range (AARGM-ER) Propulsion System Industry Day Announcement

This Industry Day is intended to identify and solicit information from sources that have the ability to partner with the Government and the AARGM-ER Prime Contractor (Orbital ATK Defense Electronic Systems (OA DES)) in conducting risk identification and reduction activities for PS development, and to develop the subsequent PS. Outputs from the PS risk identification/reduction activities will feed an Engineering Manufacturing & Design (EMD) phase in which the PS firm will either subcontract to OA DES, or execute PS development under direct contract to the Government. Selected offers for one-on-one sessions will be limited to PS design and manufacturing firms, or system design firms that may be teaming with PS design and manufacturing firms.

Industry Day Goals:
Communicate AARGM-ER PS draft requirements status and schedule
Solicit industry feedback on acquisition strategies that reduce total PS development time
Gather information to support near term collaborative engagement with industry to identify/reduce risk to PS development
Gain a better understanding from industry on state of the art solid rocket motor concepts that support AARGM-ER requirements

II. BACKGROUND INFORMATION

AARGM-ER is intended to be future capability Anti-Radiation Missile that leverages existing AGM-88E AARGM components. Any PS development effort for AARGM-ER is expected to compliment modifications to existing AGM-88E front end components (to include a modified interface with a repackaged control section and transition of the Control Actuation System (CAS)/control surfaces to the aft end of the PS).

The Government desires an AARGM-ER Acquisition Strategy that employs innovative approaches to initiate early PS development, reduces overall PS development timelines, and implements open standards for modularity and interface control at reasonable cost.

To support this desire, the Government requests Industry provide a draft informational paper or slide presentation for review five business days prior to the industry day. The government requests industry come to the industry prepared to discuss their informational paper or slide presentation. Details of the industry day schedule are provided in Section III and specific requests for informational paper/slide presentation content are provided in Section IV.

III. INDUSTRY DAY/ONE-ON-ONE AGENDA

DAY 1: 02 February 2017
Location: NAWS Conference Center, NAWCWD China Lake, Ridgecrest, CA

- 0800-0830 Arrival, Check-in at NAWS Conference Center
- 0830-0845 Ground rules/Agenda Review
- 0845-1000 AARGM-ER Acquisition Strategy Brief & PS Design Constraints
- 1000-1030 Break
- 1030-1200 One-on-one Session #1
- 1200-1300 Lunch
- 1300-1430 One-on-one Session #2
- 1430-1500 Break
- 1500-1630 One-on-one Session #3

DAY 2: 03 February 2017
Location: NAWS Conference Center, NAWCWD China Lake, Ridgecrest, CA
- Scheduled if necessary
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:04:08 am by bring_it_on »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2017, 08:19:08 am »
Courtesy James Drew

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2017, 06:01:55 pm »
OATK's AARGM-ER fact sheet.

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2017, 07:26:38 am »
Orbital ATK's ER solution features a number of design changes to the existing AARGM configuration and leverages what Mike Stuart, Orbital ATK's director of missiles strategy, business development and marketing, characterises as "higher technical readiness level (TRL) subcomponents with reduced risk, to accelerate the timeline to the US Navy customer".

"From our design concept perspective, we took a look at the threats, we took a look at, most importantly, the ranges that we thought were going to be needed, and then we wanted to bring in technology associated with achieving those goals, that were higher TRL," Stuart told Jane's  .

The Orbital ATK design introduces an aft actuator control system with the mid-body wings on the legacy AARGM removed. This not only enables a form fit capability internal to the F-35 but also improves manoeuvrability and reduces drag, Stuart said. The company has introduced side-body strakes that deliver lift during the missile's flight.

To assist the required range increment, the existing mid-body control section componentry is repackaged to deliver additional space for propulsion, while the airframe is tapered up from aft of the seeker section to deliver an approximate 10% increase in diameter, with consequent additional volume for propulsion.

Stuart said the company is evaluating multiple sources for the aft actuator solution and also for the new rocket motor design that, Jane's  understands, is expected to deliver an engagement speed that is double that of the current AARGM. "Our assessment is that there are propulsion options out there that are high TRL and can quickly transition into a production scenario to meet the USN's timelines," he said.

While the propulsion type has yet to be decided, a ramjet solution has not been discounted. "The current Orbital ATK design concept is not a ramjet, but it certainly doesn't remove that potential. However, it will be the USN and its requirements office that make the final decision on where they want to go with propulsion," he said.

'Increased Survivability' is built into the AARGM ER requirement, although Stuart declined to comment on the specifics of the Orbital ATK solution, noting only that "speed is in the equation. We're going double the range in about the same amount of time, and you have to increase speed to achieve that; so speed in and of itself is an improvement to survivability. There are other aspects of our design solution that improve survivability, but these are not releasable".

http://www.janes.com/article/71285/orbital-atk-firms-up-aargm-er-design-concept

Offline sferrin

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2017, 07:45:41 am »
If they expect to ever put it into service, and fit in an F-35, it'll have to be a rocket. 

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2017, 03:30:00 pm »
The Fiscal Year 2018 President's Budget requests $6.4 million of RDT&E,N for High-Speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) and AARGM Foreign Material Assessment; $15.2M for AARGM to implement M Code, transition receiver upgrade from ONR efforts and Block 1 follow-on development; $66.3 million of RDT&E,N for AARGM Extended Range (AARGM-ER) development; and $183.4 million of WPN for production of AARGM modification kits for 251 All-Up-Rounds and Captive Training Missiles. The AARGM cooperative program with the Italian Air Force transforms the HARM into an affordable, lethal, and flexible time-sensitive strike weapon system for conducting Destruction of Enemy Air Defense missions. AARGM adds multi-spectral targeting capability and targeting geospecificity to its supersonic fly-out to destroy sophisticated enemy air defenses and expands upon the HARM target set. The program achieved IOC on the F/A-18C/D aircraft in July 2012, with forward deployment to PACOM; integration is complete for AARGM with release of H-8 System Configuration Set for F/A-18E/F and EA-18G aircraft. The AARGM Block 1 software only update will achieve IOC the third quarter of FY 2017. The AARGM-ER modification program, involving hardware and software improvements, began in Fiscal Year 2016. This effort will increase the weapon system's survivability against complex and emerging threat systems and affords greater stand-off range for the launch platform. AARGM-ER will be designed to fit internally in both the F-35A and F-35C, thereby increasing the capability and lethality of the Lightening II weapon system. House Armed Services Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces Hearing - Combat Aviation Modernization Programs and the FY2018 Budget Request

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2017, 08:12:07 am »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2017, 08:44:23 am »

Looks like they already dumbed down the ATK concept and lost the strakes and other aero optimizations.  :'(

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2017, 08:47:09 am »
It's a notional illustration. Propulsion and missile body design will be picked out of those submitted by Orbital ATK and others.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:48:43 am by bring_it_on »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:09 am »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:18 am »
It's a notional illustration. Propulsion and missile body design will be picked out of those submitted by Orbital ATK and others.

Hopefully they don't cheap out and go the "least risk and cheapest" option.