SAAB L24

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I found some Swedish wartime projects that seem to be inspired in the Spitfire, the Mustang and the Messerschmitt Bf 110

Attachments

• Escanear0007.jpg
    Escanear0007.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Escanear0008.jpg
    Escanear0008.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,356
From Inter Avia;

the model of the SAAB L-24 project.

Attachments

• SAAB L-24.JPG
    SAAB L-24.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • saab.jpg
    saab.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 999
To avoid duplication , please check via the search function first.
The blogspot drawings were already posted before...

Hi,

here is a SAAB BJ-24 fighter-bomber Project,which cancelled in 1943.

Flygvapnet.An Illustrated History of the Swedish Air Force

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 201
In the second image of Reply #1 (hesham's first reply on this topic) there appear to be two pictures of a 21 cylinder (7 banks of 3 cylinders) radial engine with a large supercharger. I think I can just pick out the words 'Gnome-Rhone' in the caption. No chance of a larger version of this image is there?

My dear Nick,please see this;

http://www.journaux-collection.com/fiche.php?id=594643

Nick Sumner said:
In the second image of Reply #1 (hesham's first reply on this topic) there appear to be two pictures of a 21 cylinder (7 banks of 3 cylinders) radial engine with a large supercharger. I think I can just pick out the words 'Gnome-Rhone' in the caption. No chance of a larger version of this image is there?

Nick: The image is too badly dithered to really make out the caption but, I suspect, that 'Gnome-Rhone' refers to the GR 28T - a 4-row, 28-cylinder development of the GR/SNECMA 14R.

Thanks hesham and Apophenia. A quick skim through Les Moteurs A Pistons Aeronautiques Francais mentions it in a list of engines on page 86 of volume 1. Do you happen to know, does the journal advertised contain much information on this engine?

I don't suppose anyone ever created a side-view image of these planes as they would have looked in service, did they?

Sherman Tank said:
I don't suppose anyone ever created a side-view image of these planes as they would have looked in service, did they?

That's right Sherman,

but only for a Projects.

I've attached two drawings I did of the L.23, one in service camoflage and one in an imaginary, Swiss-style neutrality scheme.

Attachments

• J23-2.jpg
    J23-2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 220
  • J23.jpg
    J23.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 221
Hi,

http://forum.flyghistoria.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13914

Attachments

• SAAB_L24_1_001.jpg
    SAAB_L24_1_001.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 183
  • SAAB_L24_2_001.jpg
    SAAB_L24_2_001.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 177
  • SAAB_L24_3_001.jpg
    SAAB_L24_3_001.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 182
  • SAAB_L24_4_001.jpg
    SAAB_L24_4_001.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 173
  • SAAB_L24_001.jpg
    SAAB_L24_001.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 191
9MWYRFw.png
This is what i could find in my book collection.

hesham said:
Nice find Blockhaj.
I just realized that the same pic from the same book can be found in the first post.

I think i have mentioned this in a previous post somewhere here on the forum but the L-24 technical blueprints (rivet placements & the like) for the planned prototype? still survive (at least some of them) at the Swedish national archive. I found them by mistake when looking up the Saab 21B blueprints. They were made of super old blueprint paper (similar to the parchment paper used in the kitchen) and largely held together with old tape.

Also, an image of the mockup recently surfaced on Facebook as well. 1638100005226.png

Nick Sumner said:

Nick: The image is too badly dithered to really make out the caption but, I suspect, that 'Gnome-Rhone' refers to the GR 28T - a 4-row, 28-cylinder development of the GR/SNECMA 14R.

God help them then, because that engine was one giant piece of junk - and mating two wouldn't help, at all (it was tried by the french with the 12Z, and the results... weren't pretty. Lot's of dead pilots, particularly the Arsenal VB-10.