If anyone is in the north of Scotland right now..F18s galore

I

Ian33

Just a heads up - Typhoons and F18s having at each other over the Lossiemouth coastline, and the other F18s are transiting across the Moray Firth to do some beat ups along the low level corridors.

Note to self: Growers are very, very bloody loud. Surprisingly so actually, making the Typhoons sound positively docile.

Ian33 said:
Note to self: Growers are very, very bloody loud. Surprisingly so actually, making the Typhoons sound positively docile.

Surprising given their engines are so similar in size and power. ???

sferrin said:
Ian33 said:

Different power settings for a given flight envelope ?

sferrin said:
Ian33 said:

I can say from being underneath both, single aircraft at a time, that the Growler is, as a subjective ground observer, way louder with a far deeper strength to the 'roar'. Having great fun up there by the looks of things too.

A lot of what you're hearing might also be actually airframe rather than engine noise. There's no question that the Growlers are draggy, turbulent SOBs, especially with the pods hanging off of them. That translates to more noise.

sferrin said:
Ian33 said:

Bypass ratios are different. Moving more air more slowly for a given thrust setting. Or moving less air more quickly. Can make quite a difference to the ear.

Well, caught one low level over Lairg, and they have the Silent Hornet pods underslung.

Attachments

• F18.png
    F18.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 120
Ian33 said:
they have the Silent Hornet pods underslung.

Interesting, I wasn't aware these pods had actually been developed and purchased, I suppose the standard super hornet has some stealthy features when viewed head on so may be worthwhile without the rest of the silent hornets treatments. Unfortunately its difficult to be sure from the photo.

The resolution on that pic isn't enough to make out the shape of that centerline pod. Could be a fuel or IRST and fuel tank, or an ALQ-99.