USMC 'Marine Expeditionary land-based catapult' system

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day gents

Just stumbled across a photograph which Ive seen in numerous books on the Vietnam War, but only after decades have now realised, that 'this Douglas A-4 Skyhawk' depicted in the photograph, is in fact connected and prepared for launch via a 'land-based catapult system'

I have to admit that I was/am completely ignorant to 'this' land-based catapult system.

After a quick search on the web I have found a little more info and photos - alas vague.
Its very very interesting to note that 'A USMC A-4 Skyhawk using JATO could take-off in just 2,000 feet. With catapult launch, less than 100 feet'.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has more information/drawings/pictures of the Marine Expeditionary land-based catapult
, Short Expeditionary Landing Field(SELF) and the likes.

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• SATS Marine.jpg
    SATS Marine.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 231
Pioneer said:
G'day gents

Just stumbled across a photograph which Ive seen in numerous books on the Vietnam War, but only after decades have now realised, that 'this Douglas A-4 Skyhawk' depicted in the photograph, is in fact connected and prepared for launch via a 'land-based catapult system'

I have to admit that I was/am completely ignorant to 'this' land-based catapult system.

After a quick search on the web I have found a little more info and photos - alas vague.
Its very very interesting to note that 'A USMC A-4 Skyhawk using JATO could take-off in just 2,000 feet. With catapult launch, less than 100 feet'.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has more information/drawings/pictures of the Marine Expeditionary land-based catapult

Regards
Pioneer
Wow what an amazing find Pioneer. Never heard of such a thing.

Trackless Catapult for the Short Airfield for Tactical Support (SATS) for USMC Jets ~ 1960 NAEC
The CE-2 trackless catapult for use with the SATS short runway system is described. '"Short airfield for tactical support (SATS)"... consisted of a 1,200 m runway with an aluminum surface of interlocking lightweight metal alloy planking, a catapult and a carrier deck-type arresting gear...' Produced by the Naval Air Engineering Center.

Originally a public domain film from the US Navy, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and one-pass brightness-contrast-color correction & mild video noise reduction applied.
The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and/or equalization (the resulting sound, though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).

(...)

Chu Lai Air Base was a military airport in Chu Lai, Vietnam, operated by the United States Marine Corps between 1965 and 1970. It was located near Tam Kỳ city, the largest city in Quảng Nam Province. Abandoned after the end of the Vietnam War, it was reopened as Chu Lai International Airport in 2005.

History

On 8 March 1965, the U.S. 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade landed at Da Nang to protect the Danang Air Base from possible communist attack.

On 6 May units from the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) 2nd Division and 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines secured the Chu Lai area. On 7 May, the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade (United States) (3rd MEB), composed of the 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, elements of Marine Aircraft Group 12 (MAG-12) and Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 10 landed at Chu Lai to establish a jet-capable airfield and base area.

At first, only a "short airfield for tactical support (SATS)" was installed. The SATS consisted of a 1,200 m runway with an aluminum surface of interlocking lightweight metal alloy planking, a catapult and a carrier deck-type arresting gear. It also included a tactical airfield fuel dispensing system.

The base of soft sand at Chu Lai caused much difficulty with the installation of the SATS, but the first landing of an A-4 Skyhawk was made on 1 June 1965, by Colonel John D. Noble, Commanding Officer of MAG-12 from Marine All- Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 242 (VMA-225) landed. On the same day, the first combat mission was flown, led by Lieutenant Colonel R. W. Baker, CO of VMA-225. The aircraft took off using jet-assisted takeoff rockets on the partially completed runway as the Seabees continued lengthening the runway. It was involved in Operation Starlite on 18 August 1965, when the Marines made a pre-emptive strike on gathering Viet Cong forces who were preparing to attack the base.

By mid-October 1965, the base was home to more than 80 A-4 Skyhawks from MAG-12.

On the night of 27 October 1965 the Viet Cong penetrated the air base destroying 2 A-4s and severely damaging a further six. The Marines killed 15 of the attacking 20-man sapper squad.

In September 1966, a new 10,000 ft runway, with taxiways, was completed, just west of the SATS strip...

(...)

The Short Airfield for Tactical Support (SATS) is a rapidly constructed expeditionary airfield that can be erected near a battle area to provide air support for amphibious Marine forces... the Marine Corps has been trying several types of expeditionary airfields since early in World War II. Initial research used wooden planking for the runway surface. Later, during the Korean Conflict, aircraft actually landed on pierced steel mats,
known as “Marston matting.”

One of the more important breakthroughs in SATS research was the development of Short Expeditionary Landing Field (SELF)... the Marine Corps required that the field be designed to allow both launch and recovery (arresting) operations. These standards included the development of a land-based catapult and lighter arresting gear to replace the M-2 MOREST. In 1958, the runway specification was expanded to 2,000 feet and received
official SATS designation...
Video:
https://youtu.be/-YJ_aRWs5N4
Code:
https://youtu.be/-YJ_aRWs5N4
PDF: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14251_ch11.pdf

Interesting video. It's essentially a scaled up version of the winch launch system used with gliders and rigged for easy repeat launches using a shuttle.

I just checked the website at the club where I did a bunch of winch launches a few years ago, and using launch and retrieve winches they can do 20 launches an hour. With that system the cable is attached to two winches, and the lighter retrieve winch at the launch end is used to pull the winch cable back to the launch position post-launch.

Could swear I've seen a picture of an F-4 Phantom catching a "cable" on a deployable arresting gear system as well. (No, not the emergency overrun stuff that most US fighters have, but an honest-to-god arresting system. The "cable" looked more like a strap as I recall.)

I suppose a ski jump ramp + an arrestor system would have made VERY much sense during the Cold War when attacks on airbases were a huge threat.

I also liked the land catapult concept a lot a couple years ago, inspired by the Landflugzeugschleuder catapult that Germany had developed and tested (until 1942) prior to introducing Walther rockets for RATO. Ski jump makes a lot more sense due to its simplicity since the standardisation on tricycle undercarriages, though.

Would it be this? The 'All American Engineering' Turbo-Cat'?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28910.msg309355.html#msg309355

cheers,
Robin.

Thank you gents for your speedy responses.
Thank you fightingirish & Michel Van for the informative information and video on the Trackless Catapult for the Short Airfield for Tactical Support (SATS). The video really explains the fundamentals of the system - especially the use of the GE J79-8 turbojet!

I've read somewhere that they trailed a F-4 Phantom II with the system, which ended in disaster.

I'm guessing the F-4 Phantom II's (and A-6 Intruder's) size and weight, when fully bombed up, might have dictated the duel J79 arrangement.

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
G'day gents

Regards
Pioneer
Wow what an amazing find Pioneer. Never heard of such a thing.
I would like all the info I can get on USMC Land based catapult ce1 mo3 or similar