Hawker Pre-1945 Airplane Projects ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

from foundation of Hawker in 1920 and until 1945,many airplane Projects still a mystery,
for example in Spec. 27/22,Hawker submitted a proposal for mail carrying landplane,does
anyone know it ?.

I suspect that there is a lot of material in archives that would fill many gaps, it just requires someone to do the research and publish. There will certainly be a lot of interesting stuff with the Kingston Aviation group, www.kingstonaviation.org, and probably at Brooklands, www.brooklandsmuseum.com, so someone who is a member would probably be in the best position to do so. The pdf file linked in the topic here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22921.msg232688.html#msg232688
shows some of what is available.

The Hawker Aircraft Putnam volume is now very dated so the market is open for a replacement, and magazines such as The Aviation Historian would no doubt be interested in specific topics.

Hi,

you know,there was a two companies make me confuse,Hawker and Fairey,a very little Infos about
their early life.

Fairey is a bit of a problem and unfortunately the various articles written by Ian Huntley about the company are full of errors

Hopefully this will help with Fairey:

http://blog.soton.ac.uk/srfb/

There was some exchange of staff with Hawker too, as they were nearby.

Harrier said:

Thank you Schneiderman,

and for my dear Harrier,is that site containing a Projects ?,I made a general look only in it.

The Hawker Humpback was a three seat fleet spotter recce & general purpose Project,maybe
submitted to Spec. 8/20 ?.

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 643
Harrier said:

Thanks, I've already been in contact with the author but his research has focussed on Fairey the man and not on the projects and products of his company. Big pity and hence missing a large part of his story.

And I hope to know Fairey's life and his Projects also.

Here is a Hawker single seat fighter low-wig monoplane Project which intended for the
Spec. 25/25.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 485
As far as I know 25/25 was not put out to tender, it was just issued to cover the first production of the AW Siskin III.

Hi,

also we can ask about Hawker Skua scout fighter Project of 1921,and if it was submitted to
Spec. 20/21,but was not satisfied so the specification itself cancelled ?.

Hi,

in British Spec. 35/35 for high speed fighter aircraft,Hawker submitted a design,
any chance to know a small Info on it ?,date 21/2/1936.

Last edited:
35/35 was for a high speed research aircraft that could be used as the basis for a fighter. Most companies were far too conservative and just tendered improved versions of existing fighter projects, including Hawker who, it is said, just submitted an improved Hurricane.

Thank you my dear Schneiderman,

but in Putnam book about Hawker,they didn't hint about that,so there was possible
to submit a new design ?.

Also the unknown concepts from Hawker to N.8/39 & N.9/39 ?.

Information from Meekcoms and Morgan, apparently Hawker tendered a Hurricane varient on 21st Feb 1936. Hawker management had already made it clear to the Air Ministry that they were not interested in producing a pure high speed research aircraft when they discussed the High Speed Monoplane in 1933. Obviously they had not changed their view.

Schneiderman said:
Information from Meekcoms and Morgan, apparently Hawker tendered a Hurricane varient on 21st Feb 1936. Hawker management had already made it clear to the Air Ministry that they were not interested in producing a pure high speed research aircraft when they discussed the High Speed Monoplane in 1933. Obviously they had not changed their view.

Amazing answer,thanks.

Hi,

also Hawker designed a single seat fighter Project of 1939,with two 40-mm guns and powered by RR Griffon engine ?.

Last edited:
Hi,

the Hawker also submitted a proposal for Spec. A.39/34,Army Co-Operation
airplane ?.

From Hawker Album,

and for P.1043,I can't imagine,how was this ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 112
In 1922,Hawker designed a racer biplane Project,powered by one Jupiter engine,the airplane was never completed,does anyone hear about it ?.