Peculiar book differences aircraft vs. tanks vs. ships

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Folks, what is your take on the topic? As an enthusiast intrerested in aircraft (preferable pre-vacuuming), ships and tanks I have noted some peculiar differences between books (here referring to books sold to "enthusiasts" vs. tradesmen) on these subjects, i.e. the availability of through technical and engineering information. E.g. it is quite common to see books on a warship or a tank type offering detailed info on the steels used in their armour and general construction. It is also not uncommon to see similarish details on f*cking jets (I hate jets as they killed the spirit of airmanship). Yet I have not seen any book that would give the material specification of the wing spars of the Spitfire, Bf 109 or FW 190. We have books on 18th century sailing ships with accurate detail drawings on the structure and even dimensioned drawings of e.g. timber used for masts etc. Yet I have never seen a book giving dimensions of the Bf 109 main spar.

The question then is why? Why such grave discrepancies between aircraft (up to 1945), tank and ship books? My opinion is that the pre-1945 aircraft literature is dominated by modellers, who are more interested in how something looks, not how something is. And another factors might be the background of authors: e.g. many naval books are written by naval architects, while very aircraft books are written by aircraft designers who possess enough technical knowledge of pre-1945 engineering. What is more, e.g. many licensed pilots lack proper understanding of aircraft engines and their engineering.

Just two examples for the end: does anyone know a commercial book (again, I mean books intented for "consumers") on non-jet pre-1945 aircraft with comparable technical detail to Lacroix's book on Japanese cruisers or the twin-volume "Titanic The Ship Magnificent"?

In 2015, the Reverend Reynout Siertsema published a large-size book of drawings, its subject being the Fokker D.21 fighter.

Translated from the Beeldinboek-site:
Since his youth, Reynout Siertsema (Emeritus-Preacher and Old-Resistance Warrior, born in Zeist in 1921) has been a talented draftsman with great interest in all matters concerning flying and aircraft.

In 1988 a replica of the Fokker D XXI was presented at the Aviation Museum in Soesterberg. When inspecting that replica, Siertsema was displeased it was not built representing the Dutch model, and he himself investigated. "I discovered that reliable drawings of the D XXI were missing, I then proceeded to make them myself," he explains.

Many times, Siertsema has visited Soesterberg Airport. He also had good contacts with Fokker, from where he regularly returned home with copies of technical drawings. He transformed these to a complete collection of pen-drawings.

On behalf of Siertsema, the drawings were published in book form in their original size. Book size is 48 cm x 38 cm. It is a great wish of the author that the books reach the hands of enthusiasts, collectors, model builders etc.

Because publishing of the books is a one-time only occasion, and the edition is limited, purchase now or never.
Limited edition of 100 copies. Mine is #92. Four copies left at €59.95 a copy, excluding shipping.

Follow this link - http://www.beeldinboek.nl/downloads/Fokker%20DXXI-lowres%20inkijkexemplaar.pdf - and you will find a 25MB low-resolution pdf of the book. Enjoy.

Arjen said:
In 2015, the Reverend Reynout Siertsema published a large-size book of drawings, its subject being the Fokker D.21 fighter.

The subject doesn't exactly blow my skirts up... but the level of effort and apparent production value look spectacular and praiseworthy.

To each his own. It triggered MY greed reflexes on several levels :D

Arjen said:
To each his own. It triggered MY greed reflexes on several levels :D

And that's fine. Were a similar labor of love to be published on the design details of the SR-71, the B-70, the Do-335, Kate Upton, the P-54, the B-2 or several others, I'd make with the paypal.

Pasoleati said:
Kate Upton? Who is she?

Scotty had some engineering parlance that was relevant.

7f4d2fa1c00ebe324c1e12fa56004a8e--uk-actors-simon-pegg.jpg