US company buys French (used) Mirage F1

patvig

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.vignaud.org
www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/industrie/aeronautique-defense/vente-de-63-mirage-f1-francais-a-l-atac-743632.html

ATAC company (Textron subsidiary) is buying 63 old Mirage F1 for fighter pilots training purpose. Between 30 to 45 aircrafts could fly easily, the remaining would (or will ?) need a big servicing work. Last flight in French Armée de l'Air occurred 3 years ago, for 14th of July (Fête nationale = National day) parade.

I am surprised that no US planes used were available. Maybe the reason is the high versatility of French fighters, US fighters seeming to me more specialized.

patvig said:
www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/industrie/aeronautique-defense/vente-de-63-mirage-f1-francais-a-l-atac-743632.html

ATAC company (Textron subsidiary) is buying 63 old Mirage F1 for fighter pilots training purpose. Between 30 to 45 aircrafts could fly easily, the remaining would (or will ?) need a big servicing work. Last flight in French Armée de l'Air occurred 3 years ago, for 14th of July (Fête nationale = National day) parade.

I am surprised that no US planes used were available.

Well the US isn't going to sell front line aircraft to a private company and anything else is in the boneyard. If they wanted to dig the tumbleweeds out of some F-4s and spend a fortune getting them back in the air they could probably buy some.

Right now, ATAC flies a mix of Kfir, Hunter, and Albatross. If all of the immediately flyable aircraft were made operational, this would be a major expansion of ATAC's fleet. I'm sure they plan to cannibalize a fair number of these for parts to keep the rest flying, though.

And now, the inverse: Frenc Navy is mandating Secapem company to train the ships crew for anti-aircraft defense. Secapem will rent ... Skyhawks for this contract!

In Frnch, we say "l'herbe est plus verte chez le voisin". I think that the English equivalent is "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" (source: reverso.net).

Currently there are two major companies: ATAC and Draken international. Together they operate three categories of jets
- Hawk, Alphajet and L-39 trainers
- A-4 Skyhawks and Hawker Hunters
- Mig-21, Kfir mach 2 fighters.
And now ATAC had bought 80 retired French Mirage F-1s with the aim of flying 30 of them :eek:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/27/big-business-private-air-forces-feature/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Tactical_Advantage_Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draken_International

There is also a company that fly F-104 Starfighters for NASA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfighters_Inc

So imagine an air war between ATAC and Draken: 6 Kfirs and 30 Mirage F1s versus 30 Mig-21s. Plus Hunters and Skyhawks for ground attack.

seruriermarshal said:
ATAC has A-4 too ?

Not according to their website.

http://www.atacusa.com/atac_aircraft.html

Frankly I think it is because the F1 is to beautiful a fighter not to use it. B)

Also there is likely still a large amount of parts and kits available for these aircraft.

yasotay said:
Frankly I think it is because the F1 is to beautiful a fighter not to use it. B)

Also there is likely still a large amount of parts and kits available for these aircraft.

One thing about Dassault is that they know how to make a good-looking jet. The Mirage F1 and F2. The G8. The Mirage 4000.

sferrin said:
yasotay said:

One thing about Dassault is that they know how to make a good-looking jet. The Mirage F1 and F2. The G8. The Mirage 4000.
Marcel Dassault used to say "Un bel avion est un avion qui vole bien."
(A nice plane is a plane that fly well).

Mirage at Tyndall (ATAC's F-1 will replace T-38 in adversary training) :
ATAC was awarded a government procurement contract under Combat Air Forces to deliver an alternative airframe, the Mirage F1, which is projected to replace Tyndall’s current fleet of T-38 Talon aircraft.

This new partnership will enable F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning pilots to engage in tactical airborne training, adversary air live training at Tyndall and other US Air Force bases such as Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico and Luke Air Force Base, Arizona, the US Air Force said.

“Adversary air is the most efficient training aide and this is something that (Air Combat Command) has been working toward for a couple of years now,” said White. “The aircraft will use non-live munitions, launch, and meet in the air space for simulated training including radio and radar operations for the purpose of training. The pilot would acquire the target, or the adversary, simulate engaging the adversary and then simulate firing missiles at the aircraft.”

Pilots are expected to begin training in January 2021 utilising Tyndall’s air space.

And this piece about F-22 training at Tyndall:

patvig said:

I am surprised that no US planes used were available.

Well the US isn't going to sell front line aircraft to a private company and anything else is in the boneyard. If they wanted to dig the tumbleweeds out of some F-4s and spend a fortune getting them back in the air they could probably buy some.
If they want F-4's, surely the Greek and Japanese forces are the ones to go to. Much more recently flown and upgraded reasonably too.

Last edited:
If they want F-4's, surely the Greek and Japanese forces are the ones to go to. Much more4 recently flown and upgraded reasonably too.
Anybody serious who wants F-4s should visit Uvda and talk to the SIBAT folks. F-4E-2000 and all that.