In memory of Sir Roger Moore

Probably one of my first "non-father" role models. Wanted to dress like him, talk like him, be as smart as him and as suave as him.

RIP, Sir

moonraker%2Bfinal%2Bart%2Bposter%2Bplain.jpg

Moore was a good actor, he never described himself as a great actor, just a lucky one. He was originally offered Bond when it first started out but was already committed to the Saint TV series so couldn't do it. When Connery finally left the franchise, he was really too old to play Bond but still gave it a go. He wasn't the best but again he was lucky, coming along when budgets were bigger and special effects covered a lot of his deficiencies. I still remember him in his other movies, The Wild Geese is one where he described how he and the other "old timers" spent most of the time stoned out of their minds in Africa smoking "waccy baccy" which Richard Burton had "sourced" somewhere locally. I liked him in The Sea Wolves where he executed one of the smoothest "remove the lace up boots while seducing the starlet beside him" routines I've ever seen. ;) His TV work was quite good as well. I still remember his Maverick and Ivanhoe series, which were well over 40 years ago.

In France he was very popular with The persuaders serie. This serie was broadcasted a lot of time on the french TV.

I was very envious of him when I saw the James Bond movie A view to a kill, with Tanya Roberts...

Deltafan said:
In France he was very popular with The persudaders serie. This serie was broadcasted a lot of time on the french TV.

I was very envious of him when I saw the James Bond movie A view to a kill, with Tanya Roberts...

It was popular in Japan too, and titled "The Dandy Pair".

Sir Roger was, by all accounts, a humble and kind man. Our loss is heaven's gain.

To me, Sir Roger George Moore was and forever will be the epitome of a suave yet deadly British Secret Agent - Connery always looked and sounded a little too much like a thuggish CIA stooge to me, whereas Craig on the other hand came across like a KGB spy. In my view all the other ones that came and went in this role were just more or less pretty faces.

RIP Sir Roger George Moore,

Martin

14 October 1927 – 23 May 2017

:'(

rest in peace

Attachments

• 034Roger Moore “A touch of class”.jpg
    034Roger Moore “A touch of class”.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 136
:'(

Attachments

• Roger Moore The Wild Geese.jpg
    Roger Moore The Wild Geese.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Roger Moore.jpg
    Roger Moore.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 133
I grew up in the 60s watching the Saint on a Sunday night before going to be for school
the next day. There were a plethora of these series like Danger Man (Patrick McGoohan) and
later on The Baron (Steve Forrest) and Man in a Suitcase (Canadian, I think).

One episode of the The Saint was always my favourite as it featured the P1127 (available in
a plastic bag as an Airfix kit for 2s 6d (12 and a half p!) at Woolworths and made badly by
me a couple of times before a friend and I set fire to it with his RAF bomber fleet!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ludmk--eBU

Called "Flight Plan" it features William Gaunt (later to be in The Champions) as a greedy
RAF Pilot who repents at the last minute. Plot is thin of course but the film of P1127s in
action was very welcome- the episode aired in 1966. TSR2 had gone and I had not yet
read in the 1968 RAF Yearbook about the P1154!

Roger Moore was a fine man!

No well dressed spy should be without one!

Attachments

• Bond BD5J.jpg
    Bond BD5J.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 60
Well, Bond villain in Moonraker - Hugo Drax - had died, this time for good.

Michael Lonsdale is gone at 89.

RIP

My introduction to Lonsdale was "Ronin" where he was excellent. And listening to
Frankenheimer's director's commentary on him induced me to go back and view his filmography.

I grew up in the 60s watching the Saint on a Sunday night before going to be for school
the next day. There were a plethora of these series like Danger Man (Patrick McGoohan) and
later on The Baron (Steve Forrest) and Man in a Suitcase (Canadian, I think).

One episode of the The Saint was always my favourite as it featured the P1127 (available in
a plastic bag as an Airfix kit for 2s 6d (12 and a half p!) at Woolworths.

As a kid growing up Woolworths was one of my stops on the way to the model shop to stop and drool at the model / rocket section. (Also loved The Saint.)

My introduction to Lonsdale was "Ronin" where he was excellent. And listening to
Frankenheimer's director's commentary on him induced me to go back and view his filmography.

Ronin is an underappreciated effort and one of Frankenheimer‘s best late-career works. I had the opportunity to re-watch it on an excellent TV while logging some sheet time last year and it was thoroughly entertaining.

A friend at the time of Ronin's release had an Audi S4 (okay it wasn't the S8 in the movie but still)
so we were constantly yelling lines from the car chases when he'd chauffeur: "Take the tunnel now!" "Oh...Christ!"

Volvo P1800 coupe of 1964

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-9.48.43-AM-768x540.png
    Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-9.48.43-AM-768x540.png
    827.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-12.22.35-PM-768x553.png
    Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-12.22.35-PM-768x553.png
    807.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 225618_roger_moore_as_simon_templar_in_the_saint_tv_series.jpg
    225618_roger_moore_as_simon_templar_in_the_saint_tv_series.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1495737470.jpg
    1495737470.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3
wtf-did-i-just-read.jpg

Soooo... as if 2020 hadn't been weird enough, now, here come "Schrodinger Tanya Roberts" - the quantic James Bond girl, dead and alive at the same time.