Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In July 1945 Supermarine had not yet finalised their design for the Type 392 Attacker. This drawing (39200 116) shows one of the alternatives considered; note the design of the tail surfaces, the repositioned air intakes, the four cannon mounted alongside the cockpit, and, of course, the nosewheel undercarriage.

Attachments

• EarlyAttacker.jpg
    EarlyAttacker.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 621
I'd guess that the evolution from this drawing to the final design was mostly driven by the need to save money by keeping the Spitfire-derived wing as intact as possible. That would explain the conventional landing gear and the repositioned inlets.

Yes, I think so too. In this design the main uc has been moved backwards, which would have required significant re-engineering of the Spiteful wing.

39200 sht116 is the Vickers-Armstrong Supermarine drawing number

I've just come actually this concept in your Supermarine Projects bookazine.

Are the actuators around the nozzle a 4 piece speed brake? The hinges and rods may indicate this. Any idea what the items at 12 and 6 o clock are? Or is it a variable area nozzle actuated through cable pulls?

I'm not sure the gun port and intake location would have worked that well. Is there a boundary layer diverter on the original drawings?

The Attacker just looks wrong to me with the wing too far forwards