Convair Class VF Convoy Fighter: The Original Proposal for the XFY-1 Pogo

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
33766197232_284786dacc_z.jpg

This book presents the original proposal for the Convair Class VF Convoy Fighter of 1950, which led to the XFY-1 Pogo turboprop tailsitter naval aircraft. It was one of five submissions to the US Navy’s Convoy Fighter competition, which called for a single-seat high performance fighter designed to protect convoy vessels from attack by enemy aircraft, and for vertical unassisted takeoff from, and landings on, small platform areas afloat or ashore. Every detail of the proposal is covered, including armament variations, landing gear alternatives, and an unbuilt small scale technology demonstrator. While the XFY-1 retained the original configuration of the proposal, nearly every contour was subtly changed during the type’s evolution. As a bonus, a pair of Convair design studies for a vertical takeoff observation and reconnaissance tailsitter aircraft submitted to the US Army in 1955 are also included. Finally, there is the little-known Gamby Vertigo Plane, an early VTOL tailsitter design evaluated by NACA in 1933.

33261899990_a5e0da1bc6_z.jpg

This 40 page softcover book features 45 images, including rare photos, detailed blueprints, contemporary illustrations, and beautiful color profiles. Convair Class VF Convoy Fighter can be purchased on Amazon.com and its international branches for $14.99, along with other major booksellers worldwide. A Kindle edition is available on Amazon and its subsidiaries for just $7.99, while an EPUB version is available at my shop on Gumroad.com for just $6.99. Some sample spreads are shown below; thanks for your interest and support!

-Jared

33261902310_a400133ba8_o.jpg

33261901650_cea2f79807_o.jpg

33516520511_435984d35b_o.jpg

Looks great, Jared. I'll be getting a copy for sure. Thanks for your efforts.

Mine arrived today and I can vouch for it being a great book. The bonus content on the observation aircraft proposal for the US Army definitely adds to its greatness. It's very tempting to attempt to model a production aircraft, powered be a T54, and with armament pods on the wingtips.

Here some years after the post, I remembered having this little book & got it out yesterday after ordering Lindberg's old XFY-1 kit.
Got one years ago but its parts got repurposed for a couple sci-fi builds.
The contrarotating props did not get repurposed & I started on them yesterday to have something XFY to do.

Sure would like to have that pair of Army 2-seaters as nice plastic kits with cockpits and the pilot guys.
Was playing in Google yesterday and it referenced a post here which had at side a link to this thread.

Turns out I had gotten what looks to be the whole series on these VTOL fighter projects.
Fascinating stuff.

Wish there was enough interest in the subject that the plastic model companies could make money off some nice kits of intermediate level, and it is a big deal to me to have well-molded pilots in their office seats.

> The blue one kinda has me pondering sticking Blue Angels decals on it ... what if ... :)

These books have been combined to this new release from Mortons:

I have the book since a few weeks...
Got the monographs by the same author already but this harbound vol.
is realy good. Intoducing and closing chapters are ecellent.
The book received 4 stars in The Aeroplane magazine for March 2023 and a favourite
review in FlyPast.

Back
Top Bottom