USAAS (1918-1926) monoplanes?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I am trying to identify which monoplane aircraft were flown by the U.S. Army Air Service during its brief 1918-1926 existence in a largely biplane era. So far, I have come up with two:

--Fokker T-2 transport/ambulance
--Verville-Sperry R-3 racer

Can anyone think of any more?

Cheers,

Matthew

PS--U.S. Navy or Marine Corps monoplanes from the same period would also be helpful.

The Loening M-8. Two prototypes completed and tested by the Army (USAAS Serial Nos. 40121 and 40122). Another 53 built by Loening and the Naval Aircraft Factory (NAF) for the US Navy.

See:
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Shumaker/7563.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loening_M-8

Thanks, good call on the M-8, and that reminds me of the little Loening M-2 Kitten and similar M-3 for the Navy.

loe-kitten.jpg

loening-m3.jpg

And a few Fokker D.VIIIs in American hands post-WWI, but that's probably cheating. Still, they were followed by a dozen V-8 powered Fokker PW-5s, basically a re-engined D.VIII.

D8_fig5.jpg

320px-Fokker%2C_PW-5_%28F.VI%29_%286893235303%29.jpg

There were a few other Fokker monoplanes in small numbers with the USAAS as well.

Dayton-Wright XPS-1 of 1923.

Attachments

• Dayton-Wright_XPS-1.jpg
    Dayton-Wright_XPS-1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 79
Hello!

Gallaudet DB-l Army light bomber

Junkers-Larsen JL-12 Army armored attacker

Stout ST-1 Navy torpedo-bomber

Martin MO-1 Navy observation (floats or wheels)

Gallaudet CO-1 Army observation

Fokker FT-1 Navy torpedo-bomber

Curtiss CT-1 Navy torpedo-bomber

Attachments

• curtiss ct.jpg
    curtiss ct.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 26
  • FokkerFT-2photo1.jpg
    FokkerFT-2photo1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 18
  • gallau-co1.jpg
    gallau-co1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1019-11-1-6.jpg
    1019-11-1-6.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 9115L.jpg
    9115L.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 18
  • JL-12n.jpg
    JL-12n.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DB-1Bxn.jpg
    DB-1Bxn.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 22
Good Day All -

Seems to be the best thread to place these images in - looking to ID what appears to a be twin finned Loening M-8. Anyone have info to positively ID the model/type?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Untitled-8.jpg
    Untitled-8.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • Untitled-9.jpg
    Untitled-9.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Untitled-10.jpg
    Untitled-10.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Untitled-11.jpg
    Untitled-11.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
The fuselage is definitely an Loening M-8. It has modified ailerons similar to the M-81, but more conventional in design. The side mounted Marlin Model 1917 machine gun is very interesting. The engine appears to be a Liberty engine, different from the Wright powered M-8.

The M-8 first flew in 1918. Loening's 1920 PW-2 Type I (Water Cooled-engine Pursuit) prototype aircraft had twin tails. I'm curious if this was a preliminary modification to the M-8 to offer the USAAC or to test components of the PW-2. Possibly 1919-1920. Are their any dates with these photos? Great find BTW!

Last edited:
Seems to be the best thread to place these images in - looking to ID what appears to a be twin finned Loening M-8. Anyone have info to positively ID the model/type?

Interesting pics indeed. The twin-tailed version was for the U.S. Army, as opposed to the single-tailed version used by the Navy. Here is a very interesting write-up from the AAHS magazine (bold type is mine):
Along with the Cat and the Kittens for the Navy, the twin-tailed Loening M-8 was being developed for the Army. At this time, it had a 35-foot, 5-inch span (including ailerons) and a 23-foot length. The engine here was a 300-hp, water-cooled Hispano Suiza Model H. Two airplanes were ordered as testbeds for the Wright-Martin Aircraft Corp. whose engine division intended to market the Americanized engine as the Wright-Hispano. Like the Kitten, the Loening M-8 was test flown from Mineola during August 1918. But, unlike the underpowered Kitten, it achieved better performance; however, not so great that changes weren't required. The elimination of the elephant ear ailerons reduced the span to 32 feet, 9 inches. In speed trials the M-8 reached a reported 143 mph, which put it in the same class as the foreign fighters of the day. It had good upward visibility and an all-around field of fire for the gunner's Scarff-mounted Lewis gun. The design called for the pilot to have two fuselage-mounted, synchronized Marlin guns. Though the two-seat monoplane fighter showed exciting possibilities, a large production order was canceled almost within minutes of the Armistice. Only two (s/n 40121 and 40122) were delivered to the Army's test facility at McCook Field. However, a Navy order for 54 of the airplanes helped Loening keep body and soul together during the early postwar period.
I'm not posting the attached photo because it's already in Mark's post in much better quality. However, I'm adding a heavily retouched pic from a vintage French publication.

1713295581542.png

Interesting pics indeed. The twin-tailed version was for the U.S. Army, as opposed to the single-tailed version used by the Navy. Here is a very interesting write-up from the AAHS magazine (bold type is mine):

I'm not posting the attached photo because it's already in Mark's post in much better quality. However, I'm adding a heavily retouched pic from a vintage French publication.

View attachment 725740
Thanks Stargazer! Mark

The fuselage is definitely an Loening M-8. It has modified ailerons similar to the M-81, but more conventional in design. The side mounted Marlin Model 1917 machine gun is very interesting. The engine appears to be a Liberty engine, different from the Wright powered M-8.

The M-8 first flew in 1918. Loening's 1920 PW-2 Type I (Water Cooled-engine Pursuit) prototype aircraft had twin tails. I'm curious if this was a preliminary modification to the M-8 to offer the USAAC or to test components of the PW-2. Possibly 1919-1920. Are their any dates with these photos? Great find BTW!
Sorry, no dates - thanks for your take on the photos.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Here's another image of the twin-tailed prototype with the Wright Hispano Suiza engine.

Attachments

• M8 Prototype.jpg
    M8 Prototype.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Stargazer! Mark
My pleasure. The implicit piece of information here is that the single tail Navy's M-8 (actually M-8-0) was a development of the Army prototypes. Also, this article from Aviation dated January 1919 seems to suggest that at least one of the two Army M-8 prototypes was fitted (perhaps refitted?) with a single tail. Also, unless I'm mistaken, it would seem that the three-view arrangement still depicts a twin-fin version.

Attachments

• AW 1919-01-15_p.759.jpg
    AW 1919-01-15_p.759.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • AW 1919-01-15_p.760.jpg
    AW 1919-01-15_p.760.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AW 1919-01-15_p.761.jpg
    AW 1919-01-15_p.761.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • AW 1919-01-15_p.762.jpg
    AW 1919-01-15_p.762.jpg