AVCO MHD reentry projects

antigravite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi there,

In a recent post, a series of advanced reentry concepts showcased various ideas. One of these was exploring out-of-the-box engineering: AVCO's highly unusual MHD-brake ring.

So. Does anybody have anything more detailed on this jewlery-like concept? I remember seeing this highly creative concept discussed in secondary soviet S&T literature, but never had the time to get back to it properly. Oh, and BTW, this is the very first time I see a colored picture of this model!

A.

Attachments

• AVCO-MHD-reentry-ring-concept-DSCN0164.png
    AVCO-MHD-reentry-ring-concept-DSCN0164.png
    582.5 KB · Views: 373
There seems to be current research on a MHD aerocapture system using a long trailing tether rather than a ring. See MSNW magnetoshell magnetic bubble MHD designs.

ouroboros said:
There seems to be current research on a MHD aerocapture system using a long trailing tether rather than a ring. See MSNW magnetoshell magnetic bubble MHD designs.

Years ago, in the late 1990s timeframe (1999 I guess), I met and discussed with Richard Rosa on various subjects of interest (Jack died in 2006). This pioneering father in applied aerospace MHD told me he was the mind behind this bold idea at AVCO. Not Kantrowitz, as I would have naturally guessed. Time flew by and I have never been able to find any technical reference document connecting the dots and referencing this concept…

A.